• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifton Road Aston

Sorry Eric

Cannot recall any factories in Clifton Road - unless it was the top end of Clifton Road towards Potters Hills. Never really ventured that far. Lead a very sheltered childhood.

Having said that I grew up in Clifton Road in the 50's to very early 70's so could have been before that time period.

Apart from shops and a coal yard I think it was more residential.

Regards

Fay
Hi Eric/Fay

We lived at 1/161 Clifton Road from 1955 to 1969 when we moved to Kingstanding which was halfway between Upper Sutton Street and Potters Hill. Going back into my aging memory bank there used to be a general store about half dozen houses up towards Potters Hill run by a lady known as Elsie. A little further up towards Potters Hill was a factory in Clifton Road but I cannot remember for the life of me what it was known as or what was manufactured there.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

Mike

Hi all. I lived at 10/32 Clifton road from birth 1943 until age 16 leaving for Pelsall in 1958.
Our house was a back to back situated in the block that separated Park Road down to Upper Thomas St. at the top of the road we had a butchers shop and opposite a leather shop (shoes, handbags etc)
halfway down on the left side we had two general shops. On the UTS corner we had a greengrocers,The Golden Lion pub, A chemists shop and a shop that did radio repairs, charged batteries etc. There was a company half way down on the right side that had lorries and did something with T chests, I think it was called Clifton Packing Co.
But to the best of my knowledge there were no factories in that lower section of Clifton Road. Hope this helps a little.
Dave (nutter)

I knew your mom and the whole family, I lived in the same yard in Aston and we moved to Pelsall just before your mum and dad. Your uncle Roy and I played in a skiffle group together.
Your uncle Ken worked for me many years later when I had a steeplejack business.
Hope your mum remembers us. Dad was Joe Nutt, Mum was May, then elder brother Brian (now sadly gone);and me David.
Your gran and grandad lived at No3 next door to the wards a big family 8 kids plus mum and dad in a two bed house, happy days.

Has anybody got any memories or photographs of Clifton Road Aston my family lived there until 1969 and my father was born at 154 clifton road which was the address where we lived until we moved to Quinton,i cant remember much about the place as i was only 4 when we moved but would love to hear from anyone who remembers the road and surrounding areas

Thank You

Linda

I don't have photos but am interested in your post as my Great grandfather Robert A Dry senior lived at 118 Clifton Road so this would be pre 1900 when he worked for the old Gas Company. Likewise I would like photos from around that time.

My wife worked for a company called Applebys, I think that was in Clifton Road, she operated a fly press making parts for weaving looms used in the wool trade.

Hi nutter I'm Barbara billiard and I remember you well and fond memories of your mom and dad .sorry to hear about Brian we lost Roy last year I remember the wall at the bottom of the yard with the H P factory the other side . My brother John wonders if you remember the time Cathy hit you with a bottle? Happy memories of living next door to you in plant way. I remember your mom's little dog.Happy days.

Hi Kevlar wonder if we are related my dad Bill was born in summer lane Brum he had two brothers Jim &George and a sister Louise
Hi Kevlar wonder if we are related my dad Bill was born in summer lane Brum he had two brothers Jim &George and a sister Louise
I will have to ask my mom. Billiard isn't that popular name so stands a good chance tho. I shall get back to you asap

Just looking at my family tree on the billiard side that my grandad done before he passed away.
Descendants of jacque (billiarre) billiard.
Its not complete
There is a George billiard born 1835.
The earliest is a James billiard 1856-1932.
Dose that ring any bells?

I will have to ask my mom. Billiard isn't that popular name so stands a good chance tho. I shall get back to you asap
Just looking at my family tree on the billiard side that my grandad done before he passed away.
Descendants of jacque (billiarre) billiard.
Its not complete
There is a George billiard born 1835.
The earliest is a James billiard 1856-1932.
Dose that ring any bells?

I will keep digging. We only really know little bits about the billiard side. There was a alfred William billiard 1914-1971 who was married to Alice Langford 1888-1954.

Hope you don't mind me looking but it's possible that Barbara you are a second cousin of Kev's grandfather. It was just a quick look so a more careful look would be needed to make sure.

Kev - Wendy - William H N (Irene Nesbitt) - Willam A (Norah Christer) - William (Alice Langford)- James b 1866

Barbara I - William E (Doris Long) - James Henry (Annie Stokes) - James b 1866

[/QUO
Arre j a ftenceaaa
Hope you don't mind me looking but it's possible that Barbara you are a second cousin of Kev's grandfather. It was just a quick look so a more careful look would be needed to make sure.

Kev - Wendy - William H N (Irene Nesbitt) - Willam A (Norah Christer) - William (Alice Langford)- James b 1866

Barbara I - William E (Doris Long) - James Henry (Annie Stokes) - James b 1866

I'm quite pleased with that result.
Another spanner in the works in the billiard family tree.
looking at the bit of family tree I have it gose back to 1650. I will try scan it tomorrow and send it you if you like?

James Billiard b1866 was the son of John William Billiard and Selina Roebanks.

On his marriage to Annie Hatcher in 1885, James was listed as Fielding which was the name of his stepfather.

His father died in 1868 and Selina re-married in 1872. John was born in 1844 Leicester the son of James Billiard and Hettylena Thorne (great name).

James Billiard was born 1819 Leicester, the son of Robert & Mary Billiard. He appears to move to Bham sometime between 1850 & 1855.

Robert Billiard appears to have been born Leicester as well about 1780.

James Billiard b1866 was the son of John William Billiard and Selina Roebanks.

On his marriage to Annie Hatcher in 1885, James was listed as Fielding which was the name of his stepfather.

His father died in 1868 and Selina re-married in 1872. John was born in 1844 Leicester the son of James Billiard and Hettylena Thorne (great name).

James Billiard was born 1819 Leicester, the son of Robert & Mary Billiard. He appears to move to Bham sometime between 1850 & 1855.

Robert Billiard appears to have been born Leicester as well about 1780.
Thank you so much for this.

Hi
My name is Gary Hagan (was Astley)
We lived at 2/106 clifton rd from 1957 - 1969 eventualy there were 11 of us in the little back house i remember all of the above as the fish shop & the outdoor were the next entry to ours, the bottom of our yard stood out because there was a great tree at the road end,i used to run errands for the shops Elsie(Cook) & Mrs macs and my dad Frank drank and played darts for the red lion

[/QUOTEi Gary i remember you , i lived at No 32 and was born in 1952 and went to Upper Thomas Street i had 3 brothers and 3 sisters i think you had blond hair and do you remember Graham Fisher , 2 of my mates were Kenny Cottier and Tony
Gaskin [now in South Africa RIP] we were all poor in them days but we were happy . Raz x

Last edited:
Back