• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Who Do You Think You Are

i think they should do a programme about our pollypops. :thumbsup: that would be so interesting and brilliant for the history of the ryland family in birmingham , but you have to be famous to star in the series :rolleyes:
That would be fun wouldn't it! :) and of course Shera - you would have to be in it with me as it was you that found the link!

The Rylands definitely played a big part in Birmingham history which as you say would make a very interesting programme. Maybe I should do as Wendy suggests and write a book about them - although I thnk it would take quite a time to do the research as the Rylands seemed to be involved in all sorts of things.
Polly :)

One of the most interesting ones was the american version with Brooke Shields which was on a couple of weeks ago. Her ancestors went right back to Royalty.

I enjoyed the 3 american celebrities I saw Susan Sarandon, Brooke Sheilds and Sarah Jessica Parker. Did I miss the other 3 or were they not shown.
Carolynn thanks for asking the question about adding research names to the bottom, I've often wanted to ask.

I only saw the three, perhaps they will do the other 3 at another time. Everyone's life is interesting isnt it?

I saw the Brooke Shields one - I thought it was really good. Missed the other ones though - hopefully they will be repeated one day.
Polly :)

The "who do you think you are" event will be held this year (2015) at the NEC Birmingham on 16-18 April. It will include: ask the experts (family History), workshops, military history, genealogy, photograph dating and presumably representation from local family history groups. See attached link for more details. Dave.
https://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.com/#whats-on

The "who do you think you are" event will be held this year (2015) at the NEC Birmingham on 16-18 April. It will include: ask the experts (family History), workshops, military history, genealogy, photograph dating and presumably representation from local family history groups. See attached link for more details. Dave.
https://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.com/#whats-on
A reminder that the "who do you think you are" event is on at the NEC later this week. Dave.

They showed her in Digbeth, in a taxi going past the Bullring and Broad Street. She met up with Carl Chinn on Lower Trinity Street. And he took her to the Back-to-Backs on Hurst Street. She also went to the Library of Birmingham.

They also suggested that the youngest of the family was not with the main family because their home in Lower Trinity St was a bad smelling unhealthy area (which it probably was). However the child was living in Heath mill lane !!

morning mike...my guess is and i cant think why it was not suggested as this was very often the case....the child was just simply staying overnight at friends or rellies (maybe mum was not well)...i have more than one instance with my family research where this is the case...all guess work of course as we we never know for certain

lyn

Possibly a member of the Reading family was a 'wet nurse'? Hannah perhaps a bit old at 47 but maybe Victoria, 21.

New Series this October 2020.

Award-winning family history show Who Do You Think You Are? will return to BBC One this October – with a four-part line-up of famous faces, filmed before the coronavirus lockdown began.

Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker, comedian and author David Walliams, Gavin & Stacey’s Ruth Jones and Silent Witness actress Liz Carr will take turns uncovering the unexpected, fascinating and sometimes tragic tales in their family trees.

Jodie Whittaker learns the poignant reality behind a family myth surrounding her great uncle’s sacrifice in the First World War, while unearthing some uncomfortable truths about her great-great grandfather in Yorkshire.

Jodie Whittaker said: “Who Do You Think You Are? took me on an incredible journey through some of my family history. I discovered people and events that I had no idea existed before this. I was lucky to go home and see my mum and dad, lucky to see places I’d never been to before, and lucky to meet and shake hands with some wonderful and intelligent people whose insight into history blew my mind. And only in February did I embark on this journey, and knowing where we are now, it feels even more special to have had this adventure.”

In the other episodes of the series television personality, author and actor David Williams discovers a great-great grandfather who forged a career as a travelling performer after becoming blind and also discovers a family tragedy involving his great grandfather’s experiences in the Great War of 1914 -18.

Walliams said: “I’m delighted to have taken part in the series. I started off the journey knowing very little about my ancestry. In making the programme I found out lots of family history I would never would have learned of. I was pleased to discover that being an entertainer runs in the family.”

There’s more First World War history as Silent Witness actress Liz Carr learns of her paternal grandfather’s experiences in the Royal Navy’s Northern Patrol and also exposes one of her ancestor's involvements in an attempted murder.

Ruth Jones, best known as Gavin & Stacey’s Nessa, learns that her paternal grandfather was a key player in the precursor to the NHS, the Medical Aid Societies of South Wales, while also discovering a long line of globe-trotting mariners on her mother’s side.

BBC Ones’ Who Do You Think You Are? returns this October 2020.

well i have enjoyed the first 2 episodes only 2 more to go due to covid...

lyn

Watched David Walliams last night . What an interesting episode, and how very moving.
2 sides of his family with such different lives.
The ancestor who suffered shell shock was really poignant for me, my grandfather came home from the Somme , 'gassed and broken' according to my grandmother.
He appeared over time to recover but at the start of WW11 he suffered flashbacks and nightmares and in 1942 he took his own life.
Seeing some of the films last night it is little wonder that so many of these brave men ended up in institutions.
Except for his books that my granddaughter loves I didn't really care for David Walliams too much but last night I quite warmed to him.

i agree alberta very moving always thought our heroes did not get the credit the deserved....ps we posted at the same time lol

lyn

Although I've always enjoyed this series, I wish the BBC would widen the variety of people they choose to feature. I'm sure there are well known people from many other professions who have just as interesting back stories as the usual actors and actresses, including the obligatory one from Eastenders, they normally trot out.

Although I've always enjoyed this series, I wish the BBC would widen the variety of people they choose to feature. I'm sure there are well known people from many other professions who have just as interesting back stories as the usual actors and actresses, including the obligatory one from Eastenders, they normally trot out.
Totally agree. Probably more interesting articles in many 'unknown family' trees.
T.V companies drag the same old faces from programme to programme ...........boring.

They have not all been actors. But I think you have to consider that people chosen have to be prepared to "perform" before the cameras, and many "normal" people might find that difficult

They have not all been actors. But I think you have to consider that people chosen have to be prepared to "perform" before the cameras, and many "normal" people might find that difficult

i know i would mike

Back