• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

printing problem

cookie273uk

master brummie
I am having difficulty in printing files in "My Docs", I click 'print' and nothing happens, no problem with "My Pics". I use Works 9 to formulate MY Docs files. Any suggestions. I very rarely need to print them, I think this is the first time this year. I have reinstalled 'Works 9' software but no difference. I have had to use 'print screen' as an alternative. Eric

Eric, first thing to try is to switch everything off, computer, printer for 5 mins then try again.

I am having difficulty in printing files in "My Docs", I click 'print' and nothing happens, no problem with "My Pics". I use Works 9 to formulate MY Docs files. Any suggestions. I very rarely need to print them, I think this is the first time this year. I have reinstalled 'Works 9' software but no difference. I have had to use 'print screen' as an alternative. Eric
try reinstalling your printer software. i had that prob.and it cured it, good luck.

Eric, because you have not used your printer frequently you might want to run a diagnostic on your printer (clean heads etc, not sure if you have a wireless or wired printer) I think all of the suggestions might help.

I had a similar problem with my new printer and the printer was offline but only in one programme - had to open print dialogue and take it off "use offline" then it printed.

I have a problem with my online bank statements, they come up on screen with all the detail ok but when I try to print them out they print the headers and footers, i.e. the background but a blank white space where the transactions should be.,

I tried talking to Barclays about it but got the 'Indian gentleman' telling me twice some nonsense that had no relationship with the problem.

I can't work out if it's a pdf or printer or a Barclays software glitch.

Do you download them first? I see to recall similar problem with some documents. If I tried to print from the screen it didn't work but if I downloaded it then opened it I could print it.

Yes I've tried that Janice...........and a lot of other work arounds so far with no success.
I'm using a copy programme to get the transactions and print them then stapling them to the main sheet for the moment.

Yes I've tried that Janice...........and a lot of other work arounds so far with no success.
I'm using a copy programme to get the transactions and print them then stapling them to the main sheet for the moment.
Eric, what I have found with US banks that this is a security issue. I had a similar problem recently, I could get certain parts of the statements but not everything prints. If you can call them and get them to send you (what I call a clean pdf) a printable pdf. The ones we get on line can be saved for read only. Your Indian friend should have advised.

Two things to check Eric.
1. Go to Windows - Settings - Devices - Printers and Scanners, click on the relevant printer and select 'Open Queue'. If there is anything in the list delete it/them.
2. Navigate to C:/Windows/System32/Spool/Printers and delete everything in that folder (but not the folder itself!).

Jukebox, I have reinstalled my printer and my Works 9 software without success, I will now try your suggestion although I have bypassed the problem using 'PrintScreen' Eric

Eric, having googled 'Works 9 won't print' it appears that this is quite a widespread problem caused by an incompatibility between Works and Windows 10. I suspect therefore that my previous suggestions may not help! You could try printing to pdf - to print press Ctrl+P and select 'save as pdf' or similar. Then open the pdf and see if that will print. However your 'PrintScreen' method is probably just as easy. John

jukebox, no, I'm afraid you previous suggestion did not work. I suspect Works 9 (which is a bit ancient) is not compatible with Windows 10, which is a shame as it a simple tool for people who are not PC wise like me. I will just use 'printscreen', I can still print pics which is more important. Thanks any way for your help. Eric

If you need to replace Works there are probably a few other programs you can try. If nothing else there are things like OpenOffice that do the same thing, use the same files and come as a free download.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/

From the sound of things Microsoft have discontinued Works and, although it might work on Windows 10 in compatability mode. You need to find the compatability checker. type compatability into the search facility in windows (the magnifying glass next to the windows icon at the bottom left of the screen. that will find the checker, run that and choose Works from the list. That should analyze and fix some if not all of the problem.

If you need to replace Works there are probably a few other programs you can try. If nothing else there are things like OpenOffice that do the same thing, use the same files and come as a free download.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/

From the sound of things Microsoft have discontinued Works and, although it might work on Windows 10 in compatability mode. You need to find the compatability checker. type compatability into the search facility in windows (the magnifying glass next to the windows icon at the bottom left of the screen. that will find the checker, run that and choose Works from the list. That should analyze and fix some if not all of the problem.
If that is the case I would install Office, the compatibility is there and I regularly upgraded (not that that is always good)!

Back