• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Withers tobacconist

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
Does anyone remember or used to work in Withers tobacconist? (photo of Snow hill entrance courtesy of Nat West)

Working for the shopfitters I mentioned in another thread we also used to do Withers tobacconist shops in the 1960/70's, these were always small pokey little shops and working as painters we had to do the shop whilst it was still open. The narrow shelves behind the counter were full of packets of cigarettes inc some really unusual makes etc.
We had to paint the wall green behind the Mahogany shelves so we would empty one shelf into a box, paint the wall and then move the stuff from the next shelf carefully onto it and so on all down the shelves. At the same time one of the two ladies trying to serve customers had to try and find which shelf we had moved the ciggies to. Some shops had such narrow space behind the counter that we ended up helping to serve the customers by handing over the cigarettes.
Even more precarious was painting the ceiling while up a pair of steps and with customers underneath. A window dresser would turn up to empty it so we could paint the little ceiling and the pegboards, I remember he would faff about forever and drive us to distraction waiting to get in and paint it. Usually the ladies were very nice to us and understood our dilemma.

The best part however was a visit from Mr Withers himself, he came to some of the shops we were working in to get his sweets! always the same order , Callard & Bowser humbugs I think it was. Arriving in a huge chauffeur driven Armstrong Sidelley motor which would park right outside the door regardless of double lines etc. He would walk into the shop whilst his driver, in full uniform with peaked cap, stood by the door holding his walking stick or umbrella. He was ancient just like "young Mr Grace" from are you being served :D Later on it was taken over by Finlays who were taken over yet again.withers.jpg

Last edited:
Back