• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, midday or in the afternoon. There wouldn't be people hovering in mid air in front of that new facade. Unless you had builders on a cherry picker or something. No one on site today that I could see.

lol i know that ell but i was looking at your photos on post 36 at ground level...how quiet the city centre seems now...

lyn

That was a rainy day. People either sheltering from the rain. Or sticking to the City Core shopping. You should see how busy the High Street area was, way too many people. Westside was much quieter, including Brindleyplace. Was even people sitting on graves in Cathedral Square (St Philip's Cathedral Birmingham).

Despite Broad Street being closed (in sections), cars were speeding around Grosvenor Street West today.

I came across this video online. Difficult to know which thread to post it on as it shows a walk from Brindley Place to New Street
However as much of it shows Centenary Square, I thought this the most appropriate. Not having been in the city centre since the beginning of March, quite a bit of what is shown in the Centenary Square area is new to me. It is an 18 minute video so you might need to set aside time to watch. Out of sequence they go back to Centenary Square at the end.

Starting to look smart, I like the way the Town Hall and Council House reflect in the glass of the new buildings.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I have just watched the video all the way thro'. I was half way before I recognised anything! Then I saw a hoarding which said Broad St. The first building that I recognised was the Birmingham Repertory Theatre - I went to the first performance when it opened in 1971? The shop on the acute corner of New St. used to be a camera shop - I bought my first camera from there.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Not been in Birmingham for many years and at 89 don't think I ever will. But looking at Ells wonderful photos have to agree with William Streeter that i don't really want to. When I first saw the photos of Centenary Square I wondered what all the poles were sticking up. Not until I saw the night photos did I realise they were modern day street lamps. Do they really have to be so tall. In my cogitations I thought the council could put ropes between each one and then as an added attraction get some monkeys playing on them. They would have a great time! If I do visit it will only be at night when lights are on.

Don't we all, and I'm sure that it not just because we are all of a certain age!

Maurice :cool:

Just looked through the photos of Birmingham centre and how its changed since the last time I was there. *cries* What happened to the Birmingham I knew & loved???
True. i went to new st on the train a couple of years ago,and i got lost. i had a job to find my way around.:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back