• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was probably busier when Ice Skate Birmingham was on. Yes it looks better after dark. During the day / weekends / school holidays, you would find kids playing in the water jets.

Broad Street will be closed off until next year sometime I think.

I was in Broad Street this morning for the first time in a few years and was surprised to see Symphony Hall with the frontage missing. A quick search on the forum brought me to this thread which I had not been following. Thanks Ellbrown for the information that there is to be a new foyer for Symphony Hall, I had missed that. Yes I had thought all along that the entrance to Symphony Hall in a semi obscure part of the main mall of the ICC was not very good.

No problem David. From 1991 until now, I think the only way into Symphony Hall was via the ICC Mall, or for VIP's over the bridge from the Hyatt.

Until it's finished we wont see Boulton, Watt & Murdoch back.

And when I was last on Broad Street, hoardings near Symphony Hall for the Metro extension as well, means you have to cross over the road near Regency Wharf / Hyatt and can only cross back into Centenary Square at Library Tram Stop (probably said that before / last week).

ellbrown. Thank you so much for the wonderful photos, I'm able to follow the progress of the work in town from the comfort of my armchair.

Glad you like them. Technically the square was finished last summer.

Other than what they started at Symphony Hall which is another project.

And there is some old 1991 paving / bricks between The ICC and REP towards Cambridge Street that hasn't been changed.

This was in December 2019.

This morning's view. The pool has been drained, I'm assuming it will stay that way until the current virus crisis passes. I won't be going into work for a while now as I am all set up to work from home. I wonder what will have changed by the time I go back?

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_115152_104.jpg
    IMG_20200324_115152_104.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 22
All I can say is well photographed Ell , but if thats what they call progress leave me back in the 1950's . Thats when you knew where you were going and every building was'nt on top of each other . Thanks Ell , but no thanks

Symphony Hall which opened back in 1991 is almost 30 years old, and they decided that they needed to have a new modern foyer. Probably more room for guests.

If you want to go back to the Bingley Hall, remember it was burnt down in 1984!

Sunday view.

It's called progress. In the post war years, the Council let all these concrete buildings go up, probably due to the Wilson Government policies. But these buildings were not well maintained over 40 to 50 years.

A young boy having fun in the Reflective Pool today.

Symphony Hall which opened back in 1991 is almost 30 years old, and they decided that they needed to have a new modern foyer. Probably more room for guests.

If you want to go back to the Bingley Hall, remember it was burnt down in 1984!

Sunday view.

It's called progress. In the post war years, the Council let all these concrete buildings go up, probably due to the Wilson Government policies. But these buildings were not well maintained over 40 to 50 years.

A young boy having fun in the Reflective Pool today.

Bingley Hall , yes Ell it was burned down in 1984 , but it was built in 1850 . When will these johnny cum lately's be knock down 30/40 yrs ? We must remember arson or somesuch has no reflection on the characteristics of the building .

hi ell...could i ask do you take your photos at the crack of dawn as usually very little or no people around..thanks ell

lyn

No, midday or in the afternoon. There wouldn't be people hovering in mid air in front of that new facade. Unless you had builders on a cherry picker or something. No one on site today that I could see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back