• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to watch documentary style programmes , although I still do watch Talking Movies channel to watch the films of yesteryear , modern programmes seem to have too much bad language etc . I can swear along with the rest of them but there seems to be too much emphasis on it nowadays . There's a place for effing and jeffing and I don't think the tv is the right place for it

Retuned our TV last week and found the Smithsonian channel on freeview. Have been addicted to watching Mystic Britain. No doubt the novelty will wear off once the series is repeated.
So...........mbenne, I read this thread more out of curiosity than anything. then I saw you note on Mystic Britain! So far I only have about 2 hours of looking at many things and have become an Hadrians Wall scholar :cool: . Seriously thank you..........

I tend to watch documentary style programmes , although I still do watch Talking Movies channel to watch the films of yesteryear , modern programmes seem to have too much bad language etc . I can swear along with the rest of them but there seems to be too much emphasis on it nowadays . There's a place for effing and jeffing and I don't think the tv is the right place for it

i agree with you john....the every other swear word in peakys blinders was the reason i stopped watching it as rather than trying to follow the plot i found myself waiting for the next swear word..totally off putting for me anyway

lyn

i agree with you john....the every other swear word in peakys blinders was the reason i stopped watching it as rather than trying to follow the plot i found myself waiting for the next swear word..totally off putting for me anyway

lyn
lyn, to each there own but we will not watch that stuff either! Its not necessary and as you say very putting OFF!

I like Dad's Army - the original BBC version and film. The film remake passable. At present there is much hype on Yesterday tv about the lost episodes. I berifly saw a couple and I drew the conclusion as to why they were lost in the first place. They are not anywhere near the standard and quality of the originals and I suggest that was the reason they were never made or transmitted originally.
I feel that anything over hyped on tv is invariably not worth watching.

View attachment 147846
st
i stopped watching all the soaps years ago...not many programmes
I like Dad's Army - the original BBC version and film. The film remake passable. At present there is much hype on Yesterday tv about the lost episodes. I berifly saw a couple and I drew the conclusion as to why they were lost in the first place. They are not anywhere near the standard and quality of the originals and I suggest that was the reason they were never made or transmitted originally.
I feel that anything over hyped on tv is invariably not worth watching.
na i think the remake is pants. i watched a bit and give up on it. there was only one Godfrey.1598539876967.png.

Aussie gold hunters, 7pm freeview. A big smile when they dig up a large nugget & some even get excited when they dig up a tiny nugget of just a few grammes. A cavalier attitude to some of the worlds deadliest snakes.:cold_sweat:

Aussie gold hunters, 7pm freeview. A big smile when they dig up a large nugget & some even get excited when they dig up a tiny nugget of just a few grammes. A cavalier attitude to some of the worlds deadliest snakes.:cold_sweat:
I too would smile if i dug up gold.:grinning:

In my youth I listened to the Archers from its inception until May 1954. That's when I moved to Devon. Not sure why I didn't hear it but family circumstances I guess meant I did not.
The West of England had a similar programme, which pre dated The Archers by three years, but stopped sometime in the late 1960's I believe with the re-origination of BBC radio.
It was known as At The Luscombes', set in a fictitious village called Dimstock in Wiltshire. It was weekly, early Saturday evenings and ran as a series.
This was the signature tune: (Dickon O'Devon)

1598549039678.png

In my youth I listened to the Archers from its inception until May 1954. That's when I moved to Devon. Not sure why I didn't hear it but family circumstances I guess meant I did not.
The West of England had a similar programme, which pre dated The Archers by three years, but stopped sometime in the late 1960's I believe with the re-origination of BBC radio.
It was known as At The Luscombes', set in a fictitious village called Dimstock in Wiltshire. It was weekly, early Saturday evenings and ran as a series.

View attachment 147868
listened on a cossor i hope:D

At present there is much hype on Yesterday tv about the lost episodes. I berifly saw a couple and I drew the conclusion as to why they were lost in the first place. They are not anywhere near the standard and quality of the originals and I suggest that was the reason they were never made or transmitted originally.

These "lost episodes" of Dads Army WERE made and they WERE transmitted back in the day (1969), with the original cast.

They were 3 episodes of Dads Army series 2 shown in 1969.

However back then shows were recorded on to VERY expensive video tapes and after a few years these tapes were wiped by the BBC, along with many other famous TV shows.

You can read more about the background to the "lost episodes" of Dads Army here:

Many episodes and whole series of TV shows have been lost over the years (not just Dads Army), but after requests were sent out round the world copies have been found in places like Australia, New Zealand, USA, Africa etc .

You can read more about the "missing" TV shows (not just Dads Army) here:

Last edited:
208m medium wave was a must for most teenagers, even those of us who preferred classical music. Sunday night was incomplete without the Top Twenty. Although I was not a regular listener when the English section closed on 208m. on meduim wave, I am sure it left a void for many people. I guess they went to Caroline or wherever the music they liked was played. I have often wondered how many listeners waited to hear the Anthem of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. If you didn't or just want your memory refreshed, here it is:

208m medium wave was a must for most teenagers, even those of us who preferred classical music. Sunday night was incomplete without the Top Twenty. Although I was not a regular listener when the English section closed on 208m. on meduim wave, I am sure it left a void for many people. I guess they went to Caroline or wherever the music they liked was played. I have often wondered how many listeners waited to hear the Anthem of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. If you didn't or just want your memory refreshed, here it is:
yer it was trending back then to have a transmitter tuned to 208m held by your ear like todays mobiles are.
i still am a listener to caroline.... wonder if anyone ever won Horris bachelors infra draw method on Luxembourg lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back