• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artefacts : Repurposed artefacts or items of historical interest

The Crich photos and input from members has made me realise how useful it is to keep those eyes peeled when visiting places outside Birmingham for items originating in Birmingham. Museums are the obvious places, but there may be other places too.

Viv.

Sunken treasure, made in Brum...

The photos only had the number code originally given to them by the camera they were taken on (the description was added by me). I suspect that the helpful Crich employee who took them went out especially for you Alan
I am pretty sure that Hannah, at Crich did just that Mike. I did give her a link to BHF and told her of the interest many Members here had in the Birmingham artifacts they have.
They say one good turn deserves another: so I gave them a donation.

The mention of items made and used in Birmingham reminds me of an aluminium 5 pint saucepan we have. It has been here for many years, probably gleaned from a jumble sale when we were setting up home. The makers name is BCM/Pyramid pan with the legend made in England, a figure 9 in the pyramid sign. I though maybe Swan but not so. A stamping on the other side reads this pan is the property of the Birmingham Corporation Electric Supply Dept. It also bears an inventory number stamped on the handle housing. The Electricity Supply Dept. no longer exists as it was absorbed with the Nationalization of 1947, which makes this pan pre that date.
I assume when their works canteen, at whichever works it was located was closed, the pan was sold as scrap or by auction. I presume it came to Devon via a hotel or guest house, or just someone from Brum retiring here (not unknown of course :laughing:).
Maybe we can find out about BCM/Pyramid? We have a lot about Bulpitt. Knowing the city's preference of buying locally in the past I suspect it was made in Birmingham.

1598022581383.png
The one I have is a regular shape as this picture, but without lid or second grip.
The Ebay one is part of a tower set for one, two or thee pans. Designed to economical with fuel, especially popular during WW2 and afterwards.

One of the bells from the disused Church of Immanuel in Broad Street was acquired by St Marks’ Church in Kingstanding. Cutting (sorry poor quality) from the British Newspaper Archives (Birmingham Daily Post on 24/1/1963). Not repurposed as such, but good to know it was reused rather than scrapped. Viv.
EC2899DB-6423-43C3-81E8-E5A294E0C6F8.jpeg

In the Birmingham Daily Post on 15/8/1970 a review of a book by Douglas Hickman, Birmingham, The City Building Series claims the upper corridor of the King Edwards School was moved from the New Street building. But where to ? The new school ? Viv.

In the Birmingham Daily Post on 15/8/1970 a review of a book by Douglas Hickman, Birmingham, The City Building Series claims the upper corridor of the King Edwards School was moved from the New Street building. But where to ? The new school ? Viv.

Viv, I believe it's the chapel.

The chapel, a Grade II* listed building, was originally part of the upper corridor of the 1838 New Street school (built by Charles Barry). It was moved brick by brick to Edgbaston (1938–1940) by Holland W. Hobbiss, and renovated and rebuilt in the 1950s. (Wiki)

Viv, do you think this house is one of the ones which has come under discussion on the Lyndhurst School thread? There's also a Sutton Road thread so I'll look for that too.

Yes Lady P, I think so. And Chatwin lived at #70 ! Came across this while searching for Norlands. It’s an extract from a longer piece but couldn’t work out whether the rest was relevant. Shall have another look at it. Viv.

Last edited:
Items from St Peters Church in Dale End were donated to (St Peters ?) Church in Georg Street West Handsworth when the Dale End building was demolished. Viv.

117D232F-9DC4-4977-8076-B10921FD12A1.jpeg

hi viv i dont think st peters is in handsworth...believe this is it at spring hill unless of course there is another one
lyn

right ok viv i was taking it from your post 75 question mark against st peters handsworth...will see what i can find out

lyn

Does anyone know if the lovely staircase from the OLD library was moved anywhere. I mean the old library that was around the Town Hall before that concrete thing that has recently been demolished.

Back