• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Artefacts : Repurposed artefacts or items of historical interest

Today I received some nine, wonderful photographs from Hannah at the curatorial section at Crich. I have to say that the response from Crich is in marked contrast to other inquiries made within the city boundaries, that have been made by BHF Members but without result.
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0503.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0504.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0505.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0506.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0507.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0508.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0509.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0510.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0511.JPG
How do i view these photos please?

Today I received some nine, wonderful photographs from Hannah at the curatorial section at Crich. I have to say that the response from Crich is in marked contrast to other inquiries made within the city boundaries, that have been made by BHF Members but without result.
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0503.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0504.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0505.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0506.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0507.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0508.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0509.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0510.JPG
/home/alan/Pictures/Crich gates/DSC_0511.JPG
Where are the pics?

Once I have fathomed out how to post those photos I will re-post them. Too nice a day to be indoors.
The photos are too large it says to load to thread.

Last edited:
Ah thats ok Alan, just down load them to your computer and then upload them to here.

Thank you Mike for your efforts to get the photos viewable as I know many will appreciate them.
It does put some flesh on the thread about the Market Gates and additionally the tram shelter is a superb relic of Birmingham's tram system.

Wonderful to see the photos Alan and Mike. They are perfect examples of engineering and craftsmanship at its best: functional and fit for purpose, whilst at the same time decorative. So glad they’ve been preserved.

Viv.

Maybe they were available at the time Crich needed metal gates. However, a great tribute to Birmingham and of course it means that something from the city can be seen at their Museum. Did you note, in the photos, the Birmingham street sign by the tram shelter?
Due to the narrow gauge of Birmingham's former tram track no Corporation tram is among the collection; the Think Tank has the only known Corporation electric double deck car. They do have, unrestored and awaiting a decision about it future a former Birmingham Central Tramway cable car of 1888. It was withdrawn in 1911. It became a summer house in Smethwick apparently and was stored, after it was acquired, at the Black Country Museum until 2017. As Crich is principally a standard gauge over head electric line, with a horse drawn feature also, the cable car could only be a static exhibit I suspect. I would like to think it has a future, post Covid of course.
The Aldridge Transport Museum has former Birmingham Corporation tram 107. This is also not in a restored condition. Originally a double deck car which was withdrawn in 1939 and - you guessed it! - it became a summer house, so is presently single deck.
Restorations are expensive and I hope that BHF Members would bear that in mind. ;)

Glad you pointed out the road sign next to the tram shelter Alan, would have missed that. Must have originally come from Electric Avenue in Witton. Viv.

The Crich photos and input from members has made me realise how useful it is to keep those eyes peeled when visiting places outside Birmingham for items originating in Birmingham. Museums are the obvious places, but there may be other places too.

Viv.

Maybe they were available at the time Crich needed metal gates. ;)
The photos only had the number code originally given to them by the camera they were taken on (the description was added by me). I suspect that the helpful Crich employee who took them went out especially for you Alan

Back