• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

Yes. Mike, it appears that wealthy ladies were always quite upright in stature - probably due to all the steelwork that was in their clothing and undergarments.

For a while in the late fifties a group of us took a magazine that dealt with mens fashions. We had our suits made to measure, full backs, stitched lapels, oversewn French seams in the trousers 17inch bottoms, no turnups white shirts, separate collars, chain link cufflinks in double cuffs, suede shoes, not brothel creepers, the collars were cutaway for the Windsor knot and then we discovered the tie with a straight bottom and horizontal stripes, Gòsh we were beautiful, I think that was one of the words used.
Bob

In the late 60s early 70s I and lots of mod friends were wearing shirts with separate collars. Dunns in New St. was where we got all our shirts and stiff collars in various styles together with front and back studs. Woolworths in the Bull Ring stocked a wide range of collars made of cardboard which were good for just one night!
I still wear double cuff shirts which require cuff links.
I remember as a lad seeing my Dad wearing sock suspenders, worn round the calves, and the vision has haunted me since!
I remember the Woollies cardboard collars. You turn the inside out and wear them again if funds were short.

In the early 60s the army replaced Battledress with a new uniform called No 2 Dress. I remember how bemused we were when we were issued with detached collars and collar studs.

My Dad had some cardboard collars, they didn't even last him one day, it was hot and it shredded to pieces!
I have his garnet tiepin, Grandad made it in the Jewellery Quarter.
Some years ago when a neighbour died there were some of those waxed boxes for collars, we took them to the Black Country Museum for the shop.
rosie.

This afternoon while watching a film (Hi De Ho, starring Cab Calloway) on 'Talking Pictures', my wife mentioned a fashion that I had never really noticed before.
It was women attaching a piece of material to a ring on their finger. I just assumed that they carried them in their hands, not attached to them.

Were they for a reason or just fashion? What materials? They are rather large pieces, so were they meant to be of a certain size?
My wife said it had been fashionable for many years.

I can't find anything at all about this on Google.

Fascinating ;)

Here's a clip from the film.

I hope someone can supply us, especially me, with more information.

BiLL

It wasn't the sort of 'handkerchief. for those with colds or snuffles. It moped brows and allowed mannerisms peculiar to ladies. But maybe we should have a lady, who had that accoutrement, to give us the real facts.

This afternoon while watching a film (Hi De Ho, starring Cab Calloway) on 'Talking Pictures', my wife mentioned a fashion that I had never really noticed before.
It was women attaching a piece of material to a ring on their finger. I just assumed that they carried them in their hands, not attached to them.

Were they for a reason or just fashion? What materials? They are rather large pieces, so were they meant to be of a certain size?
My wife said it had been fashionable for many years.

I can't find anything at all about this on Google.

Fascinating ;)

Here's a clip from the film.

I hope someone can supply us, especially me, with more information.

BiLL
what a row.

Last edited:
Janice has provided a good reason for these items. Lets leave it to the ladies to comment - unless of course you wore them. :laughing:

Janice has provided a good reason for these items. Lets leave it to the ladies to comment - unless of course you wore them. :laughing:
Tell that to Andrew Bolton, Head Curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute in New York!

Perhaps it was related to holding up the train of a dress for dancing? Many dancers use wrist scarves to emphasis arm movements. Hermes have the 'Twilly' long and thin scarf which can be worn at the wrist but I don't know when that was introduced.

The Peter Sisters are actually looking for knights in shining armour...

“The male lead is about to go off to fight and there is a very real possibility that he'll be coming back in pieces. Knowing this, his female love interest decides it would be a good idea to hand him an object — some piece of jewelry, a trinket, a piece of clothing, a token of some sort — that she claims is of great personal importance to her. She makes him promise that he will give it back to her, thereby creating a small bit of assurance that he will return from the battle alive. He invariably will, if for no other reason than he promised he would return her "most prized possession."

Or if you take the skin off with the wool !
i would not know about that, i have never seen or heard of it being done.while alive..... a few nicks here and there though.
cant be helped. its not like going to the hair dressers.they dont stay still. they struggle,and put up a fight. no wool is wasted.

Attachments

• sheep coat.jpg
    sheep coat.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 12
hi folks thought we could try a thread for the fashions of days gone by....what did you wear..what sort of shoes etc...were there any special shops you bought them from oh and if possible photos of you wearing them would be great :)

lyn

Farah trousers were all the rage when I was at senior school.

Can still remember getting my first pair of named trainers, a pair of dark blue suede diadora from Harry Parkes. Early 80s, I must have been 11 or 12. Loved them.

I wanted winkle pickers but was given baseball boots instead.

At the barbers, I wanted a Beatles cut, but got a short back and sides

I wanted Wranglers but got Tesco specials

Mom bought me a jacket at 14 and said I would grow into it. At 18 I was still growing into it

Back