• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kirby family (between 1891 and 1911)

Here is the census of 1911
Annie is head but not widowed
James at this time appears to be in winson green View attachment 146274
Hi I spoke to my Aunt and there was a bigamy case but apparently there had been a letter saying James had died when he was in Ireland. Annie remarried thinking she was a widow. Fortunately my Grandfather her son had seen the letter and went as a witness to court so it went no further. I would love to see any photo’s that you have. My mom has a few photo’s of Annie ( junior) my grandmother . I should be able to get a copy for you .

here is a news paper article on James. In fact his parents Eliza and James Snr were just as bad

Attachments

• 61A9B5F2-5AAD-48BE-AE54-77D921D129CF.jpeg
    61A9B5F2-5AAD-48BE-AE54-77D921D129CF.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 14
Thank you I will try to send you the photo’s when I see my Mom later this week. She is shielding as she is 91 !

Not far away, I’m now close the Stratford upon Avon. Just so I am right, your related to Annie Jnr - their oldest child?

Yes Annie (jnr) was my grandmother. Unfortunately I never met her as she died aged 48 . She had rheumatic fever which caused damage to her heart. My Father Barry was her youngest son he died 6 years ago. Her youngest daughter Jean is still alive . I new nothing of the criminal side of the family until I went on this site. Came as a surprise. My Dad had told my Mom it’s been interesting he was a gentle kind man and I miss him. I haven’t been able to track very Much about my Grandfathers family but hope to do more once the library opens up . Great talking to you

Yes and to you too. I do have a photo of James mom, but I warn you that it’s not pleasant
Big lass and looks as hard as nails. There is quite a story to the clan. It appears that they relate to a Kirby that relocated to beam from wellington Shropshire. He was a shoe maker. Eliza was always associated with the pub/food sector, she was land lady of a pub or two and fish fryers, one being in hurst st.
I will send what I have when I get my hands on it. Would be lovely to meet up with you guys at some point.

That would be great I could bring copies of any photos Mom has. We just need to see what is happening with the COVID situation.
Amanda

Marriage certificates for Annie and James + his parents.

Attachments

• 40458_316584-00273-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 40458_316592-00342.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 14
Hi my dad was adopted in 1955 in Birmingham we have just found out hes dad was called john kirby hes mom was beryl kirby does anybody have any information on john ?

With only the name to go on, it would be very difficult to be certain of any info. There are a number of John Kirbys registered in Bham in 1920s & 1930s and that's assuming he was born locally and was a similar age to his wife.

If I have the right people then Beryl is easier to track. Born Beryl P G Finch 1931, re-marries in 1957.

Good Evening - this is a long shot but one I am willing to take, I live in Essex so find it difficult to research locally and I dont have a have a great understanding of the area. I am researching my family who originate from Birmingham and their surname, was Kirby! My Grandmother is Violet Ann Kirby born in 1917, she moved to Essex to marry in 1939 however she passed away in 1964. The records from 1939 are clear however I can not trace her before that. All i know is that her father is Thomas George Kirby, he passed away before 1939 however as is detailed on her marriage certificate.

Any assistance will be greatly received. I believe I have been able to trace Violets fathers details but again - there is little that jumps out as I cant also trace his wife (Violets Mother).

Kind Regards

Claire

Good Evening - this is a long shot but one I am willing to take, I live in Essex so find it difficult to research locally and I dont have a have a great understanding of the area. I am researching my family who originate from Birmingham and their surname, was Kirby! My Grandmother is Violet Ann Kirby born in 1917, she moved to Essex to marry in 1939 however she passed away in 1964. The records from 1939 are clear however I can not trace her before that. All i know is that her father is Thomas George Kirby, he passed away before 1939 however as is detailed on her marriage certificate.

Any assistance will be greatly received. I believe I have been able to trace Violets fathers details but again - there is little that jumps out as I cant also trace his wife (Violets Mother).

Also we believe that Violet was the sister of Horace and "Archie"

Kind Regards

Claire

There is only one death registered in Bham area for a Thomas G Kirby between 1917 and 1939, and that's in 1929 aged 47.

The only corresponding birth is a Thomas George Kirby registered in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, the son of George Henry Kirby and a Sarah Arrowsmith, both born in Gloucestershire.

They as well as Thomas George are a bit elusive but George Henry and Sarah are living in Sutton Coldfield (now part of Bham) in 1911, so there is a connection to the area.

Thanks - we knew Thomas George Kirby died young before his daughter Violets marriage so that would tie in.

I would love to know if anyone knew of Violet, Horace, Archie or Thomas Kirby to confirm their relationships. We understand that children would perhaps move around so records not always accurate. As you say, Elusive!

Is Archie Violet's brother?
We believe so although not confirmed and again, his records are rather elusive too. The only confirmed links we know are:

Violet Kirby born 1917, brother of Horace Kirby born 1914 and possible brother Archie born 1911. Violets father was Thomas George Kirby who passed away between 1917 and 1939. Horace married Lillian Spencer. All of whom were from Birmingham, Solihull, Warwickshire area.

Speculation - it is possible then that Thomas Geoge Kirby married a Miss Thornton, there is no registration so maybe not in England.

With Thomas George's parents in 1911 is an Albert Kirby listed as grandson. Thomas George is their only child, so Albert would have to be his son.

There is no registration for Albert, so again possibly not born in England/Wales. He seems to be Albert E F Thornton and on the 1939 register he is living in Sutton Coldfield with a brother Archibald George Henry and a sister Evelyn Dorothy. There are registrations for both and mmn is listed as Thornton.

No likely registration for Horace or Violet with or without mmn of Thornton, so maybe not born in England/Wales.

Could Thomas have married a Scottish girl? And Archibald named after her family.

Back