• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham 1960s

farmerdave

master brummie
Found this raffle ticket from December 1963. It cost 1 shilling and was from the Birmingham and District Branch of the NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children). I don't think I've won as I would have received a phone call by now but the prizes were interesting. The fabulous Swanmaid Dish Washer; A Return Trip from London to Paris by Pan American Airways; the new Moulton Cycle; a Creda Convair Fan Heater; and a Transistor Radio. I didn't know PanAm just flew between London and Paris, and I believe the Moulton Cycle was one of the first with very small wheels.
Have you had experiences of receiving interesting raffle prizes or prizes that were completely useless? Dave.

Attachments

• P1020965 (2).JPG
    P1020965 (2).JPG
    678.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My dad did the 'Place the ball' in the Mail, I think you could put a lot of x's on there but he never won anything.
Some long time later I had one from Reader's Digest, you only had one chance, just one cross, it was a rugby match scene, I hit the ball dead centre and won, the prize was a new VW Golf or £16,000, I took the money. :)

Dave,

The Pan Am link was just part of the Paris to New York route via London. When I worked at Cooks (in the good old days when it was a proper travel agent in the early 1960s), I could have gone London to Frankfurt & return for free every weekend as that was part of a similar long distance route and the planes flew those legs almost empty. So I don't think that the prize probably cost them very much.

Maurice

As a little girl(born in the 50's)collecting was the thing,mine was postcards.Family and friends gave me all their holiday postcards but I only kept the ones that interested me,hence these.It's the Brum I grew up with in the 60's n 70's,now it's all change again but these pic's remind me of a Brum that was worth visiting,the Beehive,Lewis',C&A's,Littlewoods not to mention a Bullring Market that was full of stalls,the Indoor Market with it's cheap and cheerfull shops that sold everything from hamsters to sofas,cut glass decanters to fire surrounds.OOOOh I so miss those days,you could buy an evening dress and all the bling for £20.Birmingham holds no pleasures anymore but the memories linger.

Attachments

• DSC04319.JPG
    DSC04319.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC04318.JPG
    DSC04318.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC04317.JPG
    DSC04317.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC04316.JPG
    DSC04316.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC04315.JPG
    DSC04315.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC04314.JPG
    DSC04314.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC04313.JPG
    DSC04313.JPG
    470.2 KB · Views: 99
As a little girl(born in the 50's)collecting was the thing,mine was postcards.Family and friends gave me all their holiday postcards but I only kept the ones that interested me,hence these.It's the Brum I grew up with in the 60's n 70's,now it's all change again but these pic's remind me of a Brum that was worth visiting,the Beehive,Lewis',C&A's,Littlewoods not to mention a Bullring Market that was full of stalls,the Indoor Market with it's cheap and cheerfull shops that sold everything from hamsters to sofas,cut glass decanters to fire surrounds.OOOOh I so miss those days,you could buy an evening dress and all the bling for £20.Birmingham holds no pleasures anymore but the memories linger.
Hi Lilybaba,
Just loved looking at these postcards. Bought back some long lost memories, Birmingham was the place to go in the 60’s and 70’s. All those shops and as you say they sold everything. Ah well happy days, I have no desire to go into Birmingham City Centre now, so much change there. Thank you for posting the cards.

A good collection of postcards of the period lilybaba. This was a time of great change whether we liked it or loathed what was happening in the modernisation of Birmingham in the 1960s. Like you say, all change again. And like in the past, some just don’t like the new emerging Birmingham, while others love it ! A city that just doesn’t stand still for long. Viv.

A good collection of postcards of the period lilybaba. This was a time of great change whether we liked it or loathed what was happening in the modernisation of Birmingham in the 1960s. Like you say, all change again. And like in the past, some just don’t like the new emerging Birmingham, while others love it ! A city that just doesn’t stand still for long. Viv.

Good point but I don't know anyone that loves the new birmingham!

Last edited:
Good point but I don't know anyone that loves the new birmingham!

lynn i am proud to be a brummie always will be but i hate what it has become...of course it all depends on the areas you live in as well as to your views of birmingham..i do think that a lot of people are blinkered ..all very well to hype up the new shiny city centre which is emerging and of course city centres will always evolve whether we like it or not

but that is not the real world... i have spent years taking photos of the changing outer city areas where people actually live .. guess i am a modern day phyllis nicklin who i admire so much... they have certainly changed my mind about how birmingham as a whole is looking right now..just my opinion and obversations as i am not looking at brum through rose tinted glasses...i am just a realist

lyn

Last edited:
lynn i am proud to be a brummie always will be but i hate what it has become...of course it all depends on the areas you live in as well as to your views of birmingham..i do think that a lot of people are blinkered ..all very well to hype up the new shiny city centre which is emerging but is that is not the real world... i have spent years taking photos of the changing outer city areas where people actually live...if i were to post them which i wont i think a lot of people may change their minds about loving birmingham as a whole...

lyn
1596267308601.png

Is this a case that the country boy will always want to go up to the big city for the culture and to make his mark on life as well as his money - and vice versa? I agree with Pete, and i was happy enough when I was there, and somewhat in trepidation of moving south to Dorset, but Birmingham has changed so much that I would never want to move back. The move to Crete was far less of a problem as I'd visited the island three or for times a year for best part of 15 years, so the seeds had germinated and had started to take root so to speak. And now I have no wish to return to the UK.

Now, in old age, I am far more in tune with the peace and tranquility of a Cretan rural village than I could ever be with be with a big city anwhere. So I guess that age has quite a lot to do with it. And if you've never lived anywhere other than a big city, you may have grumbles, but no great wish to leave. The main thing is to enjoy your life wherever you may be, and to be happy.

Maurice :cool:

lynn i am proud to be a brummie always will be but i hate what it has become...of course it all depends on the areas you live in as well as to your views of birmingham..i do think that a lot of people are blinkered ..all very well to hype up the new shiny city centre which is emerging and of course city centres will always evolve whether we like it or not

but that is not the real world... i have spent years taking photos of the changing outer city areas where people actually live .. guess i am a modern day phyllis nicklin who i admire so much... they have certainly changed my mind about how birmingham as a whole is looking right now..just my opinion and obversations as i am not looking at brum through rose tinted glasses...i am just a realist

lyn

You are more qualified than anyone to comment on this Lyn, as you still live in Brum and through your photography are very aware of the changes. I don't live here any more but do visit regularly and notice changes every time I do. It's more than just new buildings etc but the general look and feel of the city, seeing areas that used to be so lovely now rundown to such a degree they're unrecognisable.
I'm very proud to be a Brummy, it's my roots and I defend it with all my heart and I'm pleased that some people still feel its as wonderful as ever, but I love the Birmingham of the old days and I'll never change my mind about this. Luckily this brilliant forum allows us to keep our memories alive and if that means living in the past I don't care!
Lynn.

You are more qualified than anyone to comment on this Lyn, as you still live in Brum and through your photography are very aware of the changes. I don't live here any more but do visit regularly and notice changes every time I do. It's more than just new buildings etc but the general look and feel of the city, seeing areas that used to be so lovely now rundown to such a degree they're unrecognisable.
I'm very proud to be a Brummy, it's my roots and I defend it with all my heart and I'm pleased that some people still feel its as wonderful as ever, but I love the Birmingham of the old days and I'll never change my mind about this. Luckily this brilliant forum allows us to keep our memories alive and if that means living in the past I don't care!
Lynn.
me too i was happy and loved living there for 50 years. i am proud to be a brummie. i did regret leaving there. at first,but as time went by,and the place got rundown and dirt i dont now.

Is this a case that the country boy will always want to go up to the big city for the culture and to make his mark on life as well as his money - and vice versa? I agree with Pete, and i was happy enough when I was there, and somewhat in trepidation of moving south to Dorset, but Birmingham has changed so much that I would never want to move back. The move to Crete was far less of a problem as I'd visited the island three or for times a year for best part of 15 years, so the seeds had germinated and had started to take root so to speak. And now I have no wish to return to the UK.

Now, in old age, I am far more in tune with the peace and tranquility of a Cretan rural village than I could ever be with be with a big city anwhere. So I guess that age has quite a lot to do with it. And if you've never lived anywhere other than a big city, you may have grumbles, but no great wish to leave. The main thing is to enjoy your life wherever you may be, and to be happy.

Maurice :cool:
well said our MAURICE. :joy: i could not leave here now.:grinning:

Hi,

Absolutely agree with Pete and Maurice, but I was not born in Birmingham.
I came with my parents from East Anglia when I was 7, and stayed for 67 years, being very happy
there, I married a local girl, and all our working lives spent there, but I always wanted to return to
my roots, which I did a few years ago.

From what I have seen, I am not tempted to return, but still have a great love of the place as
I remember it, why else would I still be on here!

Stay safe

Kind Regards
Dave

Fabulous

Hi,

Absolutely agree with Pete and Maurice, but I was not born in Birmingham.
I came with my parents from East Anglia when I was 7, and stayed for 67 years, being very happy
there, I married a local girl, and all our working lives spent there, but I always wanted to return to
my roots, which I did a few years ago.

From what I have seen, I am not tempted to return, but still have a great love of the place as
I remember it, why else would I still be on here!

Stay safe

Kind Regards
Dave
great 1596385737633.png

Back