• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Fire Brigade 1914.

aggie2347

master brummie
Birmingham Firemen called to the Colours 1914. Photographed with the 3 senior officers I see Bob Tozer in the front can anybody name the other two? I wonder how many survived and returned to the Brigade? Credit WMFSHG.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181225-151753.jpg
    Screenshot_20181225-151753.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 32
Can anyone please help me...or direct me to someone who has the 'knowledge'!
I own medals to H. Veasey, who served with the Durham Light Infantry during the Boer War 1899-1902.
He then joined the Birmingham Fire Brigade (around 1907?). He served with the DLI during WW1 and then returned to the Fire Brigade after the war. He received 2 Fire Brigade long service medals (Birmingham & National Fire Brigade?) and was a Station Officer around 1927.
I know nothing of this gentleman - who must have been pivotal within the ranks of the Birmingham Fire Brigade. I would welcome ANY information, press cuttings or pictures. Grateful in anticipation.

Could not find anything in the newspaper archives about him, though there was another Veasey in the fire brigade who received an award in 1928, possibly a relative.Birm Gazette.21.6.1928.jpg

Thanks for this mikejee, in fact I think that this reference is him!!
'SO' may stand for Station Officer and this is the rank that is on his medal!!
Would you be kind enough to send the archive clip, so that I may save it?
I wonder whereabouts he served in Birmingham?!

Hamish
I am an idiot. Sorry- not being anything to do with the fire brigade, I stupidly took S.O to be his initials !
Here is entire cutting from the Birmingham Gazette 21.6.1928

Birm Gazette.21.6.1928.jpg

Hamish
I am an idiot. Sorry- not being anything to do with the fire brigade, I stupidly took S.O to be his initials !

View attachment 134077
You're certainly not an idiot and I also have no links with any fire service. Just a lucky guess putting 2 and 2 together!
I would love it if someone could provide some names for the Birmingham Firemen called to the colours 1914. Knowing my medals, this photo would have been post 1918 and probably celebrates the safe return of firemen (at the end of WW1) who volunteered for the colours during 1914-18. I believe Veasey is there, possibly in the rear rank (5th from the right).
As Veasey ended up as a Station Officer (with 2 long service medals) there must be some record / photos during his service with the brigade? Where do you think would be the best place to start? I am afraid I know nothing!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back