• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bob,

The English title was No Sun In Venice, but it was a Roger Vadim film based on a novel he had written previously, so the French title translated as One Never Knows. It was never released in the States nor put onto tape or DVD, so it looks as though we shall never see it as some 63 years have elapsed. A pity, because from IMDB it sounds like a very good film.

As far as teaching goes, it is recorded that he taught until fairly late in life, but there is no record of him ever being associated with Juilliard. He taught at Manhattan School of Music at the same time that Bill Evans was there, and he has an Honorary Doctorate from Berklee, but his name doesn't appear on this list:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Juilliard_School_people#Notable_teachers

Maurice :cool:
Thanks Maurice

Bob

Hi John,

Well as they say, if you don't try you don't get! Never been down the peninsular and across to the island. Pompeii site is well worth a visit, but the town itself has now gone to the dogs. Last time I drove round the Naples area it was just a mass of unfinished roadworks. They ran out of money I guess because it was the same state as it was five years previous!

But just to keep this on topic, here's one for Richard, which was played at the Town Hall concert way back in the late 1950s.

We also did visit Pompeii and the eruption ruins, some, very erotic to say the least, for two young Englishmen, the volcano was smoking when we were there. There was a Catholic church there, that had lots of valuables on show, but then down the streets utter poverty, made us wonder why? We had our FIRST Pizza in Veraggio on the boardwalk, a man had made a hole in the wall with fire in it, then tossed the pizza in to cook, Just cheese those days, but very tasty. Loved the latin music" Volare" was just becoming popular. In Rome we also saw opera at the CalaCala baths Aiada with live animals!! They still perform there. great times.

Viarregio is quite upmarket these days, John, and we were there when a big cycle race was on - about 20 laps several miles inland, and loads of verteran cars when the cyclists weren't actually travelling through Viareggio. I need to stick some more music on to keep it on topic. How about a musical description of the Czech's largest river, the Vltava (or Moldau in German) from their composer Smetana, from a mere trickle and including a village wedding?

2 good songs pete.. but always loved richard harris singing mcarthur park...this is the version i will always remember..the original 1968 version

After last week’s extravaganza from the pit orchestra of the Coventry Hippodrome, who seemed at times to be in danger of total collapse, although they never quite fell into the pit, this time an outfit with so many musicians that they could drown out each other’s clangers.

Loius Levy and the Gaumont British Symphony, playing a selection of 1937 movie tunes, plus, of course, the march intro and outro. (To quote the Bonzo Dogs.)

Peter Green, founder of Fleetwood Mac, died today, 25th July 2020, aged 73

He wrote the following hits for the band

Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, written by Peter Green

Below, Man of the world by Fleetwood Mac, written by Peter Green

Such as sad song

Below, Black Magic woman by Fleetwood Mac, written by Peter Green

Below, The Green Manalishi by Fleetwood Mac , written by Peter Green

Last edited:
How do you post a youtube video on here guys?
Lynn.

I do it as follows on Windows 10.

Go in to your browser and display the YouTube web site.

Select the video / song you wish to play and start to play it.

In the YouTube web site page at the top of your browser will be the "address" of the video (http://YouTube.com/watch/ xxxxxx)

Stripe that and select Copy (Ctrl C) then go in to Birmingham History Forum and find the topic you wish to add to

Go to the "Write your reply" section and select anywhere to get the cursor in there

Paste the address of the YouTube video (Ctrl V)

Save the update

Last edited:
I do it as follows

Go in to your browser and display the YouTube web site.

Select the video / song you wish to play

In the web site page at the top of your browser will be the "address" of the video (http://xxxxxx)

Stripe that and select Copy (Ctrl C) then go in to Birmingham History Forum and find the topic you wish to add to

Select "Add a post"

Paste the address of the YouTube video (Ctrl P)

Thank you, I'll give it a try on what is my number one Fleetwood Mac track, here goes...

After all the tributes to Peter Green yesterday how about this.

Mick Fleetwood Blues Band, with Rick Vito, live in concert.

Must say Rick Vito is excellent on lead vocals and lead guitar (he was in Fleetwood Mac for quite a while).

Note this video is an hour long but does contain some great music and sounds very similar to the early Fleetwood Mac blues / rock style.

Opens with "Oh Well" the old Fleetwood Mac song written by Peter Green.

Great live version of "Albatross" about 52 minutes in.

Note however it does take a minute or two to get going, starts with two minutes of the audience clapping for some reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back