• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see the point of it going to Five Ways and terminating at Morrisons, waste of money and time.

There are now a dozen or more hotels along and around Broad Street.

Thousands of people come to Birmingham for the weekend (and at other times) and stay in hotels along Broad St.

Also thousands of people come to events at Arena Birmingham (NIA), the Symphony Hall, Sea Life centre etc and work at various offices in Brindley Place and nearby.

Many of those people come by train and arrive at New St station. Others may come down from Wolverhampton (or other stops on the tram route) and want to go to the Broad St area.

Eventually the tram will run from New St station (Stephenson Street) right along Broad Street, being able to drop off and pick up people at these various hotels, local tourist attractions, and work locations.

I go up to Birmingham quite a lot early on Sunday morning taking photographs and as the day "wakes up" I see hundreds of people coming out of hotels along Broad St with their luggage and making their way down to New st station (having to lug all their luggage with them).

Eventually they will be able to come out their hotel, get on the tram, and be dropped off outside New St station.

If the councils aim is to reduce the number of cars in the centre of Birmingham (and reduce the number of cars going down Broad St) then they HAVE to replace it with some other sort of transport.

You cant just ban cars from an area and offer no alternative means of transport.

p.s. I was chatting to two people outside the Town Hall in Birmingham the other day. They had come to see an evening show at the Town Hall, and they had come from Wolverhampton by tram (and the tram stop was right outside the Town Hall), and were going back home to Wolverhampton by tram. THAT is what a local tram service offers.

Last edited:

Thousands of people come to Birmingham for the weekend (and at other times) and stay in hotels along Broad St.

Also thousands of people come to events at Arena Birmingham (NIA), the Symphony Hall, Sea Life centre etc and work at various offices in Brindley Place and nearby.

Many of those people come by train and arrive at New St station. Others may come down from Wolverhampton (or other stops on the tram route) and want to go to the Broad St area.

Eventually the tram will run from New St station (Stephenson Street) right along Broad Street, being able to drop off and pick up people at these various hotels, local tourist attractions, and work locations.

I go up to Birmingham quite a lot early on Sunday morning taking photographs and as the day "wakes up" I see hundreds of people coming out of hotels along Broad St with their luggage and making their way down to New st station (having to lug all their luggage with them).

Eventually they will be able to come out their hotel, get on the tram, and be dropped off outside New St station.

If the councils aim is to reduce the number of cars in the centre of Birmingham (and reduce the number of cars going down Broad St) then they HAVE to replace it with some other sort of transport.

You cant just ban cars from an area and offer no alternative means of transport.

p.s. I was chatting to two people outside the Town Hall in Birmingham the other day. They had come to see an evening show at the Town Hall, and they had come from Wolverhampton by tram (and the tram stop was right outside the Town Hall), and were going back home to Wolverhampton by tram.
Good reply. Nice to read the positive points of the Paradis and Metro developments. The Metro/Tram will bring in more people from points between Brum and Wolverhampton for different reasons i.e work, travel, entertainment etc, that is what a local tram service offers. Business needs footfall. Well done Birmingham. FORWARD we go.

Last edited:

p.s. I was chatting to two people outside the Town Hall in Birmingham the other day. They had come to see an evening show at the Town Hall, and they had come from Wolverhampton by tram (and the tram stop was right outside the Town Hall), and were going back home to Wolverhampton by tram. THAT is what a local tram service offers.
I still say it's a waste of money, who wants to go to Five Ways.

I still say it's a waste of money, who wants to go to Five Ways.
I went twice last week. If the tram was up and running I would have used that. Ask yourself the question: Who wants to go anywhere? There are many places in this world I have not been to or don't need to go to, doesn't mean other people shouldn't go.

It seems that Five Ways is not the final destination. The Metro web site (Western Extension) mentions Hagley Road. It seems that is the location of the College of Nursing. Given that Birmingham council's intentions are to prohibit through traffic across the city centre, so I read, plus the charges to made on certain classes of vehicles, the Metro seems to be the answer for the future. There are planned ideas and developments for Edgbaston also so maybe there is a wider picture not alsways obvious to us on BHF. ;)

I think there used to be plans for a Sprint Bus from Hagley Road down to Quinton, not sure what happened with that. So at the moment, you would just use the existing bus services on the Hagley Road.

Your Westside Story. Hoardings on Broad Street near Berkley Street and Oozells Street (Brindleyplace)

Will be a future tram stop somewhere down here for Brindleyplace.

I wasn't expecting to go back as soon as the middle of July. Got so used to being at home.

Still Broad Street was a lot less busy than it used to be before this pandemic.

A few photos of the Metro extension on Broad Street near the Five Ways Complex. A lot of activity all the way down Broad Street.

Fences in the way. Sometimes not worth poking my lens through it.

There is tracks visible from the Hagley Road, but I couldn't see anywhere safe to get a photo.

So instead took this on Broad Street near Symphony Hall and Regency Wharf.

Will there be any room for any road traffic or will this be Metro only?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I have not been toBrum for years.

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

I'm not sure. Probably also buses. Currently traffic is diverted onto Grosvenor Street West. Might be tram and bus only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back