• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sweet factory near the BSA

tali

master brummie
Someone told me there was a sweet factory near the BSA factory - anyone recall?

tali, there used to be one in bell lane tile cross not far from the bsa, i cant remember the first name it had, but just before it moved it used to walkers i think, its not there now, its one of those storage places

I don't remember 1 by the BSA but Filleries Toffees was in Greet by the Serk not too far away Bernie

sorry got my BSA,s mixed up when any one mentions the BSA i allways think of the one at the mackadown.

I know there was Walkers Toffee Factory which I think was in Bell Lane

paul, it could well have been called walkers toffees, but they also made chocolate, we used to have chocolate brazils from there, and things like after eights and different types of fudge, some one on the tile cross thred told me it used to be called moseleys in the 60s

Oh its on tip of my tongue...will get back to you all as soon as I remember (or ask my Aunty who lived 300 yards away ) !!:D

Ann .. you are correct about it being called Moseley's ,, that is the name of my Aunt who lives 300yards away ,I always thought she and her Hubbie owned it )

Last edited:
thanks all this thread is running on 2 posts, also on tile cross/marston green/dorridge it was moseleys and then walkers and just been walkers moved to new factory on coventry road hay mills

thanks all this thread is running on 2 posts, also on tile cross/marston green/dorridge it was moseleys and then walkers and just been walkers moved to new factory on coventry road hay mills

Many years ago we used to know someone who worked at Walkers at Marston Green and could get chocolate etc at a reduced price. I remember that we had bought (and eaten some) at Christmas one year, and there was an alert in the press (and I believe on the radio) that there had been some form of contamination at the works, and that the products should not be eaten.
Too late for us however, but we didn't suffer any ill effects!!

Kind regards

Dave

Is this a clue...?

Not sure exactly where, but Standard Sweets ( the ones in jars ) had a depot if not a factory, in a side street off Stratford Rd. Somewhere around Sparkbrook, between Mole St and Erasmus Rd, so not far from the BSA.

Only remember it cos in the mid 60s my mates brother used to drive a truck delivering them, and thats where he worked from.

Many years ago we used to know someone who worked at Walkers at Marston Green and could get chocolate etc at a reduced price. I remember that we had bought (and eaten some) at Christmas one year, and there was an alert in the press (and I believe on the radio) that there had been some form of contamination at the works, and that the products should not be eaten.
Too late for us however, but we didn't suffer any ill effects!!

Kind regards

Dave
Moseleys factory was over run by squirrels, a friend said they were attracted by a dump of spoiled chocolate and his garden was well visited by the pesky tree rats. Len.

I went to school with Donald Moseley in the years from 1944-1948 and his family lived in Church road the other side of the Meadway towards the railway bridge, he had two brothers and a sister, he moved to East bham airport to live many years ago. From school we had a trip to the factory in Bell lane and in those days they used to make paper wrapped mint and soft jelly fruits.
Dave

Bit late in the day but only just found this thread. Yes, there was a sweet factory next door to the BSA. The reason i know this is that my father worked at the BSA and when it was bombed during the war, whilst production was stopped he had to go in to pick up his wages. I went with him but obviously was not allowed in the factory. I can remember very well standing outside the gates and viewing the sweet factory, or what remained of it. It also had been bombed with incendaries. I can still see the walls of the factory absolutely covered in melted sugar that had run down in the heat of the fire. As for the name, havn't a clue.

Back