• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pub Quiz League

Looks like the Armarda, Golden Hind or the Long Boat to me.Really nice Glassing job tho.

just a reminder that keiron only wants members to log their answers in by sending him a private message rather than posting on the thread

Well done to all those who identified the window of the Rose Villa Tavern on the corner of Warstone Lane and Vyse Street, a pub that has retained many fine interior features. Worth nipping in when you are in the area.

League Table
Elmo 58 Points
Guyarab 58 Points
Curly 56 Points
Astoness 21 Points
knobbydave 21 Points
Mikejee 12 Points
allanbrum 11 Points
A Sparks 9 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Today's image will be familiar to those who were told to wait outside with a bottle of pop! Name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Tuesday 09.00hrs 7th July. Good luck!

97.jpg

Last edited:
There's a turn-up for the books. I thought it was about time I put another Ladywood image into the mix and thought I wouldn't make it too hard for a Monday. Turns out to have had quite an impact at the top of the league as Curly was the only one of the Top 3 to submit a correct answer. Well done to all the others who identified the Reservoir Tavern. knobbydave finally gets ahead of Astoness, allanbrum continues to progress upwards and welcome to Dave Riley to the league table .....

League Table
Elmo 58 Points
Guyarab 58 Points
Curly 57 Points
knobbydave 22 Points
Astoness 21 Points
allanbrum 12 Points
Mikejee 12 Points
A Sparks 9 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Another inn sign for today. Name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Wednesday 09.00hrs 8th July. Good luck!

98.jpg

It would seem that many folks made yesterday's image more difficult than it was supposed to be. The inn sign shows a milestone and was from a public-house of the same name. 3 people got it right : A Sparks stated : "the picture is The Milestone, Holyhead Road, B21. I reckon it was about 3 miles from Birmingham city centre, however the actual mileage to London shown would be more than 98 miles I think!" In submitting his answer, Curly wrote : "with the little squirrel on top of the big milestone, I will submit the Milestone, Holyhead Rd. (There is/was a milestone nearby, Grade II listed, London 111 mi Birmingham 3 miles). A few people went for The Squirrel but the sign artist used a squirrel as it was an Ansell's house, the trademark being pilfered from Holt's. So, there you have it, it was the Ansell's signboard at The Milestone. Curly goes to the top of the tree alphabetically ...

League Table
Curly 58 Points
Elmo 58 Points
Guyarab 58 Points
knobbydave 23 Points
Astoness 21 Points
allanbrum 12 Points
Mikejee 12 Points
A Sparks 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Not many points this week and things do not get easier today as it is time for the Midweek Map Muddle. The arrow is pointing at the location but you have to name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Thursday 09.00hrs 9th July. Good luck!

99.jpg

A few people had a go at yesterday's photograph but there was no correct answer until a message at 20.19hrs which read : "At first I thought it was the Anchor, then I noticed there weren’t enough hand pulls. It had to be a place that did sell real ale, quite a rare thing for Birmingham, even in 2002! So it must be the Villa Tavern, Nechells, some lovely old features in that pub." So, well done to Guyarab who identified this Nechells boozer. He is quite right in that it is one of the few pubs in that area that has such an interesting interior. I may be wrong but it does not sell real ale like it did in 2002. I believe that they flog a bit of Church End beer [lovely stuff] but only stocked when the Villa are playing at home.

League Table
Guyarab 19 Points
Elmo 16 Points
Curly 15 Points
Astoness 7 Points
knobbydave 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Mikejee 2 Points
Morturn 2 Points
Williamstreeter 2 Points
sospiri 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
The Covid-19 situation sort of morphs the days but it is the weekend so it is time for the Saturday Stinker! This is an inter-war photograph of a pub that has been rebuilt, the building is still trading and is close to another pub that remains in operation. So, a few clues for you, but this is a stinker.

PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TONIGHT Saturday 22.00hrs 2nd May. Good luck!

View attachment 144679

I have uploaded pics of this pub at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/adderley-road/olive-branch-inn.htm

drat i was going to say the milestone holyhead road but forgot to log it in i knew it was in that direction as have this photo of the original milestone that used to be on hockley hill...that will teach me to wonder off lol...been in wales all day today so probably wont have time to get todays quiz but will take a quick lookHockley Hockley Hill Milestone.jpg..any road up its a map :D :D

Mike won the race to submit the first correct answer. Others followed with the right street but opted for the wrong pub. Unfortunately, Curly lost his brief lead at the top of the table by going for the Woodman Inn. Elmo's answer sums it up perfectly ... "I've established the location as Little Ann Street. I have found 2 pubs on this street. My answer is the Cross Keys at number 1. The other premises being the Woodman at number 16 but this doesn't seem to fit the present day numbering which shows number 22 and 24 diagonally at the opposite side of the street to your marked location." And here is an earlier plan that I have of Little Ann Street .....

99a.jpg

League Table
Elmo 59 Points
Guyarab 59 Points
Curly 58 Points
knobbydave 23 Points
Astoness 21 Points
Mikejee 13 Points
allanbrum 12 Points
A Sparks 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Back to the 60s today for a landmark image in that it is the 100th of the quiz. 3 weeks to go yet!! Incidentally, I also have a daily challenge as I have to find a picture of somebody looking clueless/lost/giving up/going mad/blowing a fuse. Anyway, name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Friday 09.00hrs 10th July. Good luck!

100.jpg

Last edited:
"I've established the location as Little Ann Street. I have found 2 pubs on this street. My answer is the Cross Keys at number 1. The other premises being the Woodman at number 16 but this doesn't seem to fit the present day numbering which shows number 22 and 24 diagonally at the opposite side of the street to your marked location."

Sorry, that was Elmo's quote - amended the post.

No change at the top as Elmo, Guyarab and Curly all spotted the White Hart on Nechells Park Road. Well done too to allanbrum who continues to make steady progress up the league .....

League Table
Elmo 60 Points
Guyarab 60 Points
Curly 59 Points
knobbydave 23 Points
Astoness 21 Points
allanbrum 13 Points
Mikejee 13 Points
A Sparks 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Between the wars for today's image. Nice pic I think. Hey! A lot of these feature window cleaners?? Anyway, name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Saturday 09.00hrs 11th July. Good luck!

101.jpg

Quite a few people identified the Board Inn or Board Vaults on the corner of High Street and Phillips Street. No major difference in the league table after yesterday's image .....

League Table
Elmo 61 Points
Guyarab 61 Points
Curly 60 Points
knobbydave 23 Points
Astoness 22 Points
allanbrum 14 Points
Mikejee 13 Points
A Sparks 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Time for the Saturday Stinker. I am feeling a little guilty for unleashing this rare but almost impossible image on members. Please DO NOT wreck your Saturday trying to solve it - have a look, a think, and let it go! Anyway, name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Sunday 09.00hrs 12th July. Good luck!

102.jpg

I thought it might have been Town somewhere by the shop next door but would never have guessed whereabouts!

I did not think there would be a correct answer for yesterday's stinker but BHF members raised their game and three people identified the White Horse on the corner of Macdonald Street and Bishop Street - a very well done for solving the mystery pub. This means a change in the table as Guyarab reclaims top spot and Curly moves up to 2nd. allanbrum was the only other person to score a point .....

League Table
Guyarab 62 Points
Curly 61 Points
Elmo 61 Points
knobbydave 23 Points
Astoness 22 Points
allanbrum 15 Points
Mikejee 13 Points
A Sparks 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

It sometimes feels like Final Score on Saturdays and the league table is changing all the time at the top - I wonder what the experience is like for those who enter the quiz. Perhaps a few words to express how you experience the sight of the new pic and the scores the following day??

Today's Photograph
Today's pic is a photo I took in 2006 of a former pub. Of course, your task is to name the pub?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Monday 09.00hrs 13th July. Good luck!

103.jpg

Yesterday's photograph caught a few people out but well done to those who correctly identified the former Golden Horse on what was once Duddeston Row, later Albert Street. The pub closed in 1935 and the licence was transferred to The Baldwin.

League Table
Guyarab 63 Points
Curly 62 Points
Elmo 62 Points
knobbydave 24 Points
Astoness 23 Points
allanbrum 15 Points
Mikejee 14 Points
A Sparks 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Radiorails 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Winding the clock back a bit for today's photograph. A bit fuzzy but can you identify this public-house?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Tuesday 09.00hrs 14th July. Good luck!

104.jpg

Sometimes I marvel at the effort of BHF members to identify public-houses. I thought yesterday's image was pretty hard to figure out and yet a number of people correctly identified the Yorkshire Grey at Winson Green. This is a pub with a very interesting footballing history - I have uploaded a little of this at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/dudley-road/yorkshire-grey.htm. I thought Curly was going to miss out on a point but his correct entry came in with 40 minutes to go to the deadline. I hope he did not stop up all night trying to solve the quiz!!

League Table
Guyarab 64 Points
Curly 63 Points
Elmo 63 Points
knobbydave 24 Points
Astoness 23 Points
allanbrum 16 Points
Mikejee 14 Points
A Sparks 11 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Radiorails 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
Dave Riley 1 Point
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Just over a fortnight to go! Today I thought we could try something a little different. If the boot repairer fancied a break and nipping next door for a quick half-pint which public-house would he be patronising?

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Wednesday 09.00hrs 15th July. Good luck!

105.jpg

Well done to all those who correctly identified the Anchor Inn on the corner of Islington Row and Tennant Street. I have not dug deep on this place but I have uploaded some nice pics at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/islington-row/anchor-inn.htm

League Table
Guyarab 65 Points
Curly 64 Points
Elmo 64 Points
knobbydave 25 Points
Astoness 24 Points
allanbrum 16 Points
Mikejee 15 Points
A Sparks 12 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
Radiorails 9 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Morturn 4 Points
pjmburns 3 Points
Dave Riley 2 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Oh no ...... it is time for the Midweek Map Muddle, and a tough one at that. 1875 is the date of this plan. Although the buildings on the south side of the street are not plotted on this plan - they were built but not forming part of this schedule. The arrow marks the location of the boozer - I just need you to provide the name of the place.

DEADLINE
PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Thursday 09.00hrs 16th July. Good luck!

106.jpg

Last edited:
oh it is curly...i have to use a sat nat to find my way around my back garden but later on tonight when i have more time i will take a look..promise ;)

lyn

Back