• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub Quiz League

well elmo i shall keep going back to the shot of that pub but so far nothing is springing to mind..plenty of time though.. :)

lyn

I did make an effort to ensure you all had an easier photograph yesterday as it has been tough of late. Quite a few people spotted the pub so well done to you all. I was only after The Albion but Curly provided the definitive response of "Jamaica Inn Hotel/Coxsone Lounge aka The Albion, Aston, Whitehouse Street/Aston Rd North." Williamstreeter moves up a place whilst Astoness and knobbydave continue to battle it out for 4th place...

League Table
Guyarab 56 Points
Elmo 55 Points
Curly 54 Points
Astoness 20 Points
knobbydave 20 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
Oh, we haven't nipped inside for a drink for a while so let's have a look at a bar which I photographed in March 2002. Perhaps I should have waited until tomorrow for an interior pic as the pubs open once again - I will NOT be tempted back yet as there will always be an idiot or group of idiots. I only hope the A&E departments are not having to deal with imbeciles.
Anyway, name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Saturday 09.00hrs 4th July. Good luck!

View attachment 146379
Think I will pop to the pub tomorrow, Kieron. From what I've heard, a lot of people aren't ready to return yet. The sort of real ale pubs I go to tend to be quite expensive, so the riff raff/idiots tend not to go to those sort of places. When they're selling Carling for £2 (or less) a pint, they're asking for trouble.

Nothing open here in Wales till at least the 13/7 & then outside facilities are required I believe. My nearest pub is about 150 yards away, with a Wetherspoons 500 yards in the other direction.

Think I will pop to the pub tomorrow, Kieron. From what I've heard, a lot of people aren't ready to return yet. The sort of real ale pubs I go to tend to be quite expensive, so the riff raff/idiots tend not to go to those sort of places. When they're selling Carling for £2 (or less) a pint, they're asking for trouble.
In my humble opinion it is just not worth the risk. The number of deaths has risen this last week or so and now we are told it is safe to mix in a public place at one metre with no face mask. I am curious how people can relax in such an environment? I love pubs but I can drink to health at home. Hope you enjoy your beer but please stay safe.

Nothing open here in Wales till at least the 13/7 & then outside facilities are required I believe. My nearest pub is about 150 yards away, with a Wetherspoons 500 yards in the other direction.
With my pub-loving hat on, one of the sad elements of the Covid-19 crisis is that the Tim Martin empire has not collapsed.

At the moment, I'm stumped. I may come back to it later - these interior views are OK if you've been there but I use pubs very infrequently so stand little chance ;^(

West Mid,Sorry to hear the sad news.IT HAPPENED TO ME IN 1991 AT 50 YEARS OF AGE.BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME, STARTED MY OWN GARDENING BUSINESS ,NEVER LOOKED BACK.WISHED I HAD DONE IT YEARS AGO.WITH YOUR GARDENING EXPERTISE YOU SHOULD GO FAR.

One correct answer for yesterday's interior photograph so a massive pile of kudos to Elmo who not only identified the pub but also went to the top of the tree. He has told me how he sussed it out and I find it quite incredible but I cannot reveal his methodology as he may lose his edge. Anyway the answer I was after was the Coach and Horses on the corner of Mary Street and Edward Road in Balsall Heath. Sadly, the pub has been closed down but I still go to this location as there is an excellent Lebanese place opposite. Cedar is only a small place but the food is delicious.

League Table
Elmo 56 Points
Guyarab 56 Points
Curly 54 Points
Astoness 20 Points
knobbydave 20 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
It is time for the Saturday Stinker - a bit harsh after yesterday's tough nut to crack. However, BHF members are made of sterner stuff and will no doubt rise to the challenge. Or, you could just nip down the pub now they are open. Anyway, for a precious point you have to name this pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Sunday 09.00hrs 5th July. Good luck!

95.jpg

One correct answer for yesterday's interior photograph so a massive pile of kudos to Elmo who not only identified the pub but also went to the top of the tree. He has told me how he sussed it out and I find it quite incredible but I cannot reveal his methodology as he may lose his edge. Anyway the answer I was after was the Coach and Horses on the corner of Mary Street and Edward Road in Balsall Heath. Sadly, the pub has been closed down but I still go to this location as there is an excellent Lebanese place opposite. Cedar is only a small place but the food is delicious.

League Table
Elmo 56 Points
Guyarab 56 Points
Curly 54 Points
Astoness 20 Points
knobbydave 20 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
It is time for the Saturday Stinker - a bit harsh after yesterday's tough nut to crack. However, BHF members are made of sterner stuff and will no doubt rise to the challenge. Or, you could just nip down the pub now they are open. Anyway, for a precious point you have to name this pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Sunday 09.00hrs 5th July. Good luck!

View attachment 146398
I thought it was the Coach & Horses as have been there but didn't think the windows were right!

I thought it was the Coach & Horses as have been there but didn't think the windows were right!

oh what a shame...you should have taken a guess :( the only way i get any correct is mainly from memory or if i actually know the inside of a pub..not very good with maps...i must have many hundreds of pub photos gathered over the years but cant remember them all and even then there is no guarantee i have the ones keiron is posting..todays pub is very distinct with a pram outside and that is something that would stick in my mind but no bells ringing yet

lyn

The Top 3 all clocked The Gate on Studley Street in Sparkbrook, a pub which Guyarab tells me is/was a favourite of Carl Chinn. All three members are piling on the points in impressive style ...

League Table
Elmo 57 Points
Guyarab 57 Points
Curly 55 Points
Astoness 20 Points
knobbydave 20 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
An architectural feature for today's image - name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Monday 09.00hrs 6th July. Good luck!

96.jpg

The Top 3 all clocked The Gate on Studley Street in Sparkbrook, a pub which Guyarab tells me is/was a favourite of Carl Chinn. All three members are piling on the points in impressive style ...

League Table
Elmo 57 Points
Guyarab 57 Points
Curly 55 Points
Astoness 20 Points
knobbydave 20 Points
Mikejee 11 Points
allanbrum 10 Points
Williamstreeter 9 Points
A Sparks 8 Points
Pedrocut 7 Points
Radiorails 6 Points
Morturn 4 Points
jmadone 2 Points
Lady Penelope 2 Points
pjmburns 2 Points
sospiri 2 Points
The Rest 0

Today's Photograph
An architectural feature for today's image - name the pub?

DEADLINE
Continuing the new deadline for all future entries you have until the morning PLEASE send your answer via PM message rather than posting on this page as it will spoil it for everyone else. Deadline for submissions is TOMORROW MORNING Monday 09.00hrs 6th July. Good luck!

View attachment 146417

Haven't got a clue but what a lovely window!!
Lynn.

Back