• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mitchells & Butler Ltd

O

O.C.

Mitchells & Butler Ltd
Mitchells & Butlers started in 1898 and in the first year the brewery employed about 300 people and occupied a site covering about fourteen acres and in the 50's it had grow to 90 acres with over 1800 people working in the brewery itself and it had over more than 3,500 retail premises.
The original partners were Henry Mitchell and William Butler

Nice pic of an M&B waggon, remember how the barrels were dropped off on to a padded mat or an old car tyre, my wife is also in the pic

William Butler

William Butler died on August 24 1907 aged 64.
On the day of his funeral the streets were lined with crowds of people watching the cortage pass. The day after his funeral fifteen thousand people visited the cemetery to pay their respects and view the hundreds of floral tributes. He was held in such high esteem by the people of Birmingham. William is buried at Key Hill cemetery grave no 622 sect I. I thought this may be of interest. MOMA P.

Mitchell's & Butler's

Does anyone have a photo of the M&B Recreation Ground pavillion at Portland Road, please? My grandfather, Wilf Moseley, played cricket there up until about 1960 and it is where I first tasted beer (aged about four years). I believe it has all gone now, but if you know differently, please let me know.

Mitchell's & Butler's

Does anyone have a photo of the M&B Recreation Ground pavillion at Portland Road, please? My grandfather, Wilf Moseley, played cricket there up until about 1960 and it is where I first tasted beer (aged about four years). I believe it has all gone now, but if you know differently, please let me know.
SAVE0330.JPG
Keith'sLAd circa 2002 Social Club Portland Road.

Apologies for the quality of the photograph, I took it from a Youtube video. Any idea of the date?

20ix9a.jpg

1980s I think:
Le Pub was previously The Parisian. Around the mid 1980s it was purchased by Davenport's and renamed 'Cagney's' (Anyone got any photographs of Cagney's?).
Granville was previously Westward Ho!
Kaleidoscope
was previously The Grapes.

M & B Pubs in Birmingham City Centre.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photograph, I took it from a Youtube video. Any idea of the date?

20ix9a.jpg
Wandering Minstrel and Matador were in the Bull Ring which was built around 1963/4, looking at the graphics as well I would hazard a guess at sometime late 70's early 80's?????

Mitchell's & Butler's

Hello, I think that I knew your grandfather Wilf. Do you know if he was a friend of Phil Langley. I would have been around 7 at the time, but remember Wilf I am sure. Picture attached of the ground around 1960, I think. Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• Portland-Pavillion-1960.jpg
    Portland-Pavillion-1960.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 7
Back