• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garbett Street, Ladywood

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
My paternal Grandfathers family (surname Brown) lived her from the late 1880s until about 1960. At one point they lived in about three or four houses. My dad was born there in 1928 and grew up there, left in the fifties. My Grandfathers mother was a Dugmore, who I believe were all also local. I've been told that Pat Roach lived here at the same time as my Dad, although to my memory he himself never mentioned him. The only landmarks my Dad ever recalled in any detail were the pubs!

Hi weoly
Just been reading your thread about your family and your father I came from the same neck of the woods as me I lived at the bottom of
Garbutt street it was kingedwards red I lived on your father would have known the Gregory family and the cooks whom is also a member of this forum whom I know
From way back all there years he would recall the big old church at the bottom of the street and of course the local school on the door step
At the bottom of the street where all the kids went Mr Ingram was head master until about the sixtys before moving up his proffesional
Career within the education department for many years I would imagine he went there for his schooling then moved to one of the others at a later age
For his senior years they knocked down the church in 1958 9 years that was by his house and of course is local veg green grocer
Hickmans where they had all sorts of feasted animalls hanging out side turkeys goose rabbits hens and rabitts and pigeons for sale

hi all
my mom grew up there in the late 50s early 60s she live at 4 back of 74 garbett street she also went to nelson street school in the early 60s her name is nicolette boden she remember a lad call jimmy Curtis

Looks like the premises on King Edwards Road in photo #1 and #4 were given a facelift. Photo #1 looks like the earlier pre-facelift, whilst photo #4 shows the whole row having been pebble-dashed. Wheeldens shop looks in better nick too. The ‘King Edwards Road’ sign seems to have been removed, possibly during pebble-dashing and a new sign (1960s ?) for Garbett Road seems to have been fixed beneath the poster adverts.

Something’s going on in photo #2, enough to attract the attention of the lady in the doorway but also the ‘curtain twitcher in the first house, ground floor, second window.

Viv.

Thank you again lyn! I was going to ask if you had any photos for Garbett St! You have made my day. :)
2xGt. Grandmother lived there and 3xGt. Grandfather was a bootmaker, Abraham Hilliar. He was buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery and we had his family gravestone re-erected as it was broken in several pieces.
rosie.

Thank you again lyn! I was going to ask if you had any photos for Garbett St! You have made my day. :)
2xGt. Grandmother lived there and 3xGt. Grandfather was a bootmaker, Abraham Hilliar. He was buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery and we had his family gravestone re-erected as it was broken in several pieces.
rosie.

oh thats fantastic rosie i only posted them on the off chance as garbett st is not mentioned that much ..i very often find myself looking at photos of streets where my ancestors lived imagining them walking around them maybe a bit silly i know but thats me :D :D ..also pleased you had the gravestone re erected..well done

always ask me if i have any particular streets or roads....if i have them im happy to share them..

lyn

My Grandmother lived at 49 Garbett Street for many years and I have fond memories of visiting her after shopping with my mother on The Flat where we went to the butcher's shop to collect our meat 'ration' of. Gran eventually moved from the front house to live with her daughter in one of the back houses down the entry. The third photograph shows a lady standing outside the house where my Gran used to live - maybe it was my Gran?
Anthea

My Grandmother lived at 49 Garbett Street for many years and I have fond memories of visiting her after shopping with my mother on The Flat where we went to the butcher's shop to collect our meat 'ration' of. Gran eventually moved from the front house to live with her daughter in one of the back houses down the entry. The third photograph shows a lady standing outside the house where my Gran used to live - maybe it was my Gran?
Anthea

anthea that photo was taken in 1967 so if your gran lived there then it may well be her in the photo

lyn

ok anthea..wonder who the lady on the step photo 2 is...with luck someone may know her...

lyn

In 1871 my 9 year old Great Granddad William Edwin Cook was minding a coalyard with his Mom and 72 year old Grandmother, it says on the Census that they were living in one room. The one room was a 10’x10’ coal shed I dread to think if they were living there in the winter.

anthea that photo was taken in 1967 so if your gran lived there then it may well be her in the photo

lyn
I was born in 1950 at 1/74 Garbett st. We moved to shard end in 1961
I often used to go back and visit my best mate who I called Johnny lemon? I can't remember his real surname. My wife lived around the corner though we never met until we were in our 30s. I have found memories of my young life in ladywood and have been thinking a lot lately
Petet
hi all
my mom grew up there in the late 50s early 60s she live at 4 back of 74 garbett street she also went to nelson street school in the early 60s her name is nicolette boden she remember a lad call jimmy Curtis
Hi
When your mum lived there, I was living at 1/74 which must have been in the same yard. My family name is crumpton but I must admit not remembering anyone called boden. The only people I can recall are the Sheppards
Peter

Hi
Do you Remember Nicolette Boden she lived next door to the Sheppards in the same court yard

Hi I know it has been a while, but I lived at 1/74 Garnett st 1950-1961. I remember the name shepherd but not boden but I was only young. I moved to shard end in 61 and one of my friends there is called boden! Ironic eh.

Back