• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This Your Motor?

Two of the cars outside Ryland were a Ford V8 pilot and a citroen, ford owned by the Foreman George Reedman and the Citroen by the chargehand Brian Crawford.
That's not a Ford V8 Pilot,I know because I've got one! It looks more like a late 1930's Chevrolet,looking at the radiator grille,split windscreen, and the shape of the headlights...…...........MalIMG_7387.JPG

Last edited:
Two of the cars outside Ryland were a Ford V8 pilot and a citroen, ford owned by the Foreman George Reedman and the Citroen by the chargehand Brian Crawford.
I detect from your naming of employees that you have some knowledge of the garage. If there is anything you want me to add to the page please let me know. Cheers, Kieron

I detect from your naming of employees that you have some knowledge of the garage. If there is anything you want me to add to the page please let me know. Cheers, Kieron
Hello Kieron. My first job after leaving school in the June of 1960 was as a trainee mechanic at Rylands. Started in the stores, as I wasn’t 15 until the September, then trained as a car and HGV mechanic. Worked there until 1964 then moved on to being a PSV mechanic. Great times and many mostly good memories of Rylands mainly thanks to Alderman, then Sir, Francis Griffin who was one of the two directors.

Hello Kieron. My first job after leaving school in the June of 1960 was as a trainee mechanic at Rylands. Started in the stores, as I wasn’t 15 until the September, then trained as a car and HGV mechanic. Worked there until 1964 then moved on to being a PSV mechanic. Great times and many mostly good memories of Rylands mainly thanks to Alderman, then Sir, Francis Griffin who was one of the two directors.
Thanks - nice to hear and read. By the way, is that your Anglia at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/ryland-street/
Cheers, Kieron

Started my motoring career in 1965 with MDA378, a 1954 Ford Popular, having taken my driving test in Dad’s Standard Vanguard Estate car. There have been so many cars since then that it would use up too much space!

Currently my daily driver is German, but there is an English car in the garage, which I have owned since 1984.

In the Ryland pics, the car thought to be a Morris Six Series MS, is actually a Wolseley 6/80, the chrome surround to the rear windscreen and the dummy filler cap are the clues. The two tone car a bit further on is an Armstrong Siddeley Lancaster. Whilst on the subject of that make, does anyone recall a garage called “Frank Moseley AS & S Ltd,” Cope Street, Ladywood? I would be pleased to learn anything about them, as they sold my car twice according to the entries in its log book, firstly in January 1960, and again in January 1964.

Last edited:
Was the Wolseley 6/80 the six cylinder version? I think a mate of mine (at the time) had a Wolseley 4/50? The four cyclinder version.

His geabox 'went' and the only suitable replacement we could find was from a Morris. The difference (as I remember) being that the Wolseley was a column change and the Morris was a floor change.

(From memory) we adapted the Morris gearbox to accept the Wolseley gearchange selector assembly, and it worked.

All done lying on our backs in a car park regardless of the weather.

I'm now long past that sort of thing.:weary_face:

Yes, much beloved of the coppers at that time, the 6/80 as its 2.2 litre overhead camshaft six and twin SU carbs made it reasonably quick, but no match for a crook in a Ford Pilot or a big Jag. The 4/50 had a 4 pot version of the engine, but only one carb, and could barely get out of its own way. It was typical of the woolly thinking at Morris, all those cars, (Oxford plus the two Wolseley) had the same body behind the dashboard, but three different wheelbases. Not a profitable way to go. I’m sorry, I’m not sure about the gearbox details, but Dad had the Oxford (LOX 545) that was definitely column change.

Last edited:
Was the Wolseley 6/80 the six cylinder version? I think a mate of mine (at the time) had a Wolseley 4/50? The four cyclinder version.

His geabox 'went' and the only suitable replacement we could find was from a Morris. The difference (as I remember) being that the Wolseley was a column change and the Morris was a floor change.

(From memory) we adapted the Morris gearbox to accept the Wolseley gearchange selector assembly, and it worked.

All done lying on our backs in a car park regardless of the weather.

I'm now long past that sort of thing.:weary_face:
Hopefully still on thread. I know what you mean about laying on car parks repairing vehicles as my future Brother in Law had three coaches located on Coleshill car park, all repairs and maintenance work was carried out on that carpark.

The two cars in #57 do not seem to have been subject to a response. The furthest away is a Morgan, but one with a Ford 8 or 10 engine, model F iirc. The little two seater in front is almost certainly an Austin 7 from
the late 1920s/early 30s which has been subjected to a lot of modification. The body might be a Speedex, but there were many little firms selling these kits, the basic Speedex body was £37/10/0d, but it looks as though this bloke has spent a fair bit more as the front suspension has been modified quite substantially, and the interior is better trimmed than these things usually are.

The L series Vauxhall in #9 is a Velox, as the Wyvern had dark wheels and no over riders.

The rakish sports saloon in #58 is a mid 1930s Rover, possibly a 14/6, not quite the bank manager’s car you might expect, but more of a mini Bentley, the AKV plate was Coventry, July to October 1935. It must have been about 20 years old when the picture was taken, judging by the new looking Commer van behind it. Very desirable!
Well, I’d like one!

Last edited:
The two cars in #57 do not seem to have been subject to a response. The furthest away is a Morgan, but one with a Ford 8 or 10 engine, model F iirc. The little two seater in front is almost certainly an Austin 7 fromthe late 1920s/early 30s which has been subjected to a lot of modification. The body might be a Speedex, but there were many little firms selling these kits, the basic Speedex body was £37/10/0d, but it looks as though this bloke has spent a fair bit more as the front suspension has been modified quite substantially, and the interior is better trimmed than these things usually are.
The L series Vauxhall in #9 is a Velox, as the Wyvern had dark wheels and no over riders.
The rakish sports saloon in #58 is a mid 1930s Rover, possibly a 14/6, not quite the bank manager’s car you might expect, but more of a mini Bentley, the AKV plate was Coventry, July to October 1935. It must have been about 20 years old when the picture was taken, judging by the new looking Commer van behind it. Very desirable!
Well, I’d like one!

The Morgan three-wheeler, FTR 761, is still about and currently taxed till December 2020! It was registered in Sept 1948 and is red in colour, and has an 1172 cc engine, as used in the Ford model C 10hp.
The Austin, BCR 850, is no longer on the DVLA computer.

The two cars in #57 do not seem to have been subject to a response. The furthest away is a Morgan, but one with a Ford 8 or 10 engine, model F iirc. The little two seater in front is almost certainly an Austin 7 from
the late 1920s/early 30s which has been subjected to a lot of modification. The body might be a Speedex, but there were many little firms selling these kits, the basic Speedex body was £37/10/0d, but it looks as though this bloke has spent a fair bit more as the front suspension has been modified quite substantially, and the interior is better trimmed than these things usually are.

Well, I’d like one!

I detect that the forum has gained an expert in this field - I will have to dig out some of my ridiculously unusual vehicles for you!!

Fordiana.

The wheel belongs to a Fordson 10 cwt van, model E83W. Post WW2 because of the rolled edge to the front wing, in production from 1938 to 1956, later (post ‘52?) badged as Thames, but there would be a badge saying “A Ford Product” on the bonnet, not there, or at least not visible.

HAC, Warks CC June - Sept 1948, Ford Prefect E93A, been biffed on the nose by the looks of it.

TOX, Brum Oct 1956, Ford Anglia 100E.

UO-, Brum 1956 possibly, Austin A35 van.

Stand on your back legs,
Be like two fried eggs,
Keep your sunny side up!

Last edited:
Anyone with a photo of a 1932 Morris Minor. Bought one in April 1956 for £7.10s. Had a rebore and oversize pistons for £5, gave it a lick of paint and learned to drive in it. Passed test in the September (eventually) and sold it in part exchange for a 1936 Ford 8. Got £25 for it

Back