• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clulee - Hampton Street

Love the old maps from whatever era, especially as I live just up the road on Great Hampton St. As ever a good sprinkling of pubs, however if I’ve got it right the current Hen and Chickens at Constitution Hill/Henrietta St Junction isn’t marked as a pub. Any explanation? Cheers.

Love the old maps from whatever era, especially as I live just up the road on Great Hampton St. As ever a good sprinkling of pubs, however if I’ve got it right the current Hen and Chickens at Constitution Hill/Henrietta St Junction isn’t marked as a pub. Any explanation? Cheers.

well its certainly been there long enough..maybe they just omitted to mark it out unless only trading pubs were marked...not really sure

lyn

Yes I suspect same as the building is certainly quite old.
CONSTITUTION HILL 1. 5104 City Centre B19 Nos 27 and 29 (Hen and Chickens Public House) SP 0687 NE 25/7 II GV 2. Circa 1880 large corner public house with Italianate detailing relating to No 25. Tall 3 storeys yellow brick with ceramic, red brick and stone and terracotta dressings. Splayed corner. Upper floors articulated in coupled or single bays by giant banded ceramic brick pilasters, rising to spring of second floor window arches. Carved console brackets alternating with floral terracotta metopes support moulded stone cornice with yellow brick parapet above. Terracotta diaper panels and projecting heads in roundels are set above segmental arched first floor windows. Pilastered public house front including shop front No 29. The fascia with fretted valance to cornice.

Do you mean not marked on present maps? they very often do not show pubs. It is certainly marked on older large scale maps

map c 1889 lower constitution hill.jpg

Brian
Afraid I cannot offer an explanation. In earlier maps only pubs with full licenses were named and this sometimes carried on into post war maps, but this is obviously not the explanation here. I have noticed similar on the OS maps ofthat period, but am not sure why it happens

Brian
Afraid I cannot offer an explanation. In earlier maps only pubs with full licenses were named and this sometimes carried on into post war maps, but this is obviously not the explanation here. I have noticed similar on the OS maps ofthat period, but am not sure why it happens
Thanks as ever. Nothing major i had just briefly wondered if it hadn't always been a pub. I presume B H on some maps refers to a beer house i.e. not a full spirit licence? Cheers.

Yes, though . as often as not beerhouses were not marked at all, I did check the 1949 kellys in case briefly after the war it was not a pub, but it is listed as such there.

how lovely thanks for sharing it with us...do you know how he was related to you and the year he may have written it...not being nosey just interested :)

lyn
Hi Lyn, absolutely fine, happy to share. I am so lucky in that I have my Paternal Grandparent's photos and some family bits and pieces that came with them. The poem is in a book given to my GGrandfather's sister on her birthday which all the family wrote in for her. It was written in 1877. The writer is my GGrandfather's elder half brother who I believe is in the attached photo front row left. My GGrandfather is definitely back row right. I believe the elder man is my GGGrandfather. As they are wearing work aprons I wonder if this was taken at 39 or 40 Hampton Street as on census they are printers working from home.

Attachments

• Clulees.jpg
    Clulees.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 5
Back