• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

13 Adelaide Terrace, Erskine Street

Mancunian_Nick

master brummie
Hi peeps. Not been active much for a few months but am busy once again with my family history research, this time looking at the 1911 census for Samuel George Ferreday (Feraday?) and his family, listed at the address in the subject line above but they seem to me to be 2 different streets? It's quite frustrating as I was reading though another thread on here which went up to about 136 pages I think but after I signed in, I couldn't find it again or I'd have posted there. I understand that Aderlaide Terrace was renamed Erskine Street to stop it being confused with another Aderlaide Terrace in Deritend, wherever that may be. Sorry I'm not from Birmingham myself but my friend's family, who I'm researching for at the moment, many of his are and this family is one of them.

I'm sure Samuel George and his wife Sarah Ann (Denney), are dead but they were living with 4 children, one of whom was only 4 months old but none of those are likely to be alive now either but my question basically is can anyone enlighten me on where this property may have been and is it likely to still be there or more likely to have been demolished and does anyone know any of the family's descendants? Would be fascinating to find out if you do.

I'm going to search for them in the 1939 and see if that brings up anything more/new in the meantime.

Thank you kindly. Nick.

hi nick...no not two different streets it just means that they lived in adelaide terrace which was in erskine st...hopefully someone will kindly provide you with a map to confirm this

lyn

The position of this Terraced House reminds me of when we lived in Booth Street, Near Handsworth & Smethwick Station, we were invited to visit a friend who lived in a Terraced House in a similar position near the railway line. At something like 9.05 pm a noise like an earthquake sounded & the whole house shook & vibrated just as though the train was coming through the house! To which our friend who lived in the house said, "That's the 5 min past goods train, there's one every hour through the night", "After a time you don't even notice it whilst you are sleeping"

Also can anyone tell me what the lines between the railway & Oak Cottages represent is it fencing?

I think is is an embankment. So the railway lines are on a different level to Oak Cottage. Probably a fence as well.

Similar dotted lines on roadways represent pavements/pathways. I guess there is a pathway (railway use) along the embankment top. Fencing would be at the bottom of the embankment presumably at pathway at the rear of Oak Cottges.

thanks for the map rob...i looked on the scottish maps and thought could be the position of adelaide terrace even though it actually did not say it was..your map does...

lyn

Hi peeps. Not been active much for a few months but am busy once again with my family history research, this time looking at the 1911 census for Samuel George Ferreday (Feraday?) and his family, listed at the address in the subject line above but they seem to me to be 2 different streets? It's quite frustrating as I was reading though another thread on here which went up to about 136 pages I think but after I signed in, I couldn't find it again or I'd have posted there. I understand that Aderlaide Terrace was renamed Erskine Street to stop it being confused with another Aderlaide Terrace in Deritend, wherever that may be. Sorry I'm not from Birmingham myself but my friend's family, who I'm researching for at the moment, many of his are and this family is one of them.

I'm sure Samuel George and his wife Sarah Ann (Denney), are dead but they were living with 4 children, one of whom was only 4 months old but none of those are likely to be alive now either but my question basically is can anyone enlighten me on where this property may have been and is it likely to still be there or more likely to have been demolished and does anyone know any of the family's descendants? Would be fascinating to find out if you do.

I'm going to search for them in the 1939 and see if that brings up anything more/new in the meantime.

Thank you kindly. Nick.
I am just researching the Duffield Family who lived at no 11 Adelaide Terrace. also Albert Duffield 1889 who lived at 9 Oak Cottages, for my Bird Family Tree. I was born in Birmingham to Vivian and Edith Bird but left many moons ago, but it does help as I know many of the names of streets.

I am just researching the Duffield Family who lived at no 11 Adelaide Terrace. also Albert Duffield 1889 who lived at 9 Oak Cottages, for my Bird Family Tree. I was born in Birmingham to Vivian and Edith Bird but left many moons ago, but it does help as I know many of the names of streets.

Wow what a coincidence, mooky ... your family and mine were next door neighbours! Research-wise I mean. :)

Back