• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Church Road pub

Donna

master brummie
Does anyone remember Aston Church Road in the 1960's? As you come down from the lights at Washwood Heath Road, keep on the left hand side and just past Taronis, was there a little pub that looked like a house or was it a house that people used to drink in? I have memories of standing outside there trying to look in through smoky glass window. i must have been about 5 years old.

aston church rd pub

Hi Donna
I Am Racking My Brains Out AboutThe Pub You,re On About
In The 60,s I Have Passed This Little Building Many Many Times
And The More I Think About It I,m Pretty Sure It Was Only
An Off LICENCED House [ Out Door ] Or It Had A Back Room
A Little Snugg Room As They Used To Call Them
I Used To Have Some Friends Whom Lived Down There
Whom Lived Oppersite Postmans Paints, Until They Demolished The
Area
His Name Was Fred , He Had Three Daughters
All Had Ginger Hair ,
Any Way I,M Sure ONE Of Our Researchers Will Come Up With The
Answers And Confirm Your Request
And If THEY Do Not ,I,LL Asked My Old Dutchess ,
She Knows The Area Very Well She Was Brought Up Around There
She Lived In St Clements Rd ,Just Off The Top End Of
Aston church Road best wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;

Hi Astonion
Could you ask your duchess if she remembers again Aston Church Road, my family (Spears, Maisie and John (who was blind) used to live at 201 opposite Taronis, just before that little housey/pubby thingy a side road then another side road and there was a shop called Derek's. I remember going to that shop to get the Mortons mushy peas for dinner.

Sorry Donna, I'v been looking in the directories but no joy on any caff or bar, unless it was quite unofficial. Here is what I have found:
Shops in Aston Church Road, (south side) from Arley Road to Chartist Road
183 - (1950) Warner, Mrs Florence E, shopkeeper
(1956) Pickering, Mrs Kathleen, shopkeeper
(1963) Siviter, Mrs J, shopkeeper
(1969 no entry)
205 - (1950) Proud, Mrs Minnie, shopkeeper
(1956) Haywood, Mrs Irene, shopkeeper
(1963) Jones, Mrs V, shopkeeper
(1969 no entry)
293 - (1950) Bannister, Miss Eliz, shopkeeper (on corner of Chartist Road)
(1956) Bannister, Miss Eliz, shopkeeper
(1963 no entry)
(1969 no entry)

Not a great deal of help I'm afraid
Peter

Just GE ing the site makes me a little sad. I used to ride my bike down there on my way to work every day. There were row houses on the left past Chartist. They are all gone now. School friends used to live there. Must have gone down there a thousnd times around then but can't remember the place you refer to. Then again, I would not have been looking for it either.

The first shop on the left hand side of Aston Church Rd from Washwood Heath Road was kept by a lovely divorced lady in the 60s.
On my way to work I would drop in with my shopping list and in the evening collect a big box of groceries for about £3.

aston church road pub ,

Good Morning Donna
In Your Last Thread You Asked Me To Asked My Old Dutchess
Wether Or Not She Knew Could Recall Your Blind Parents
She Said She Recalls Them , And Secondly Getting Back To The Pub
On Aston church Road She Clearly Remembers The Building Being As A Little Off Licence With a Sign on The Wall With A Name Of Some ALES Above IT
My Old Dutchess , Would Walk Up And Down Many Times A Day
She Had To Pass IT Because She Went To LEIGH Street School
Thats How Remembers It I Too Remember That Little House Come Off Licence With Its SigneD Ales in WhitePaint Above The Buildings
Also I Remember A cafe Being Down There Because I dONE Some Work For The Lady Whom Owned It A Lot Of Drivers Used To Go In There For Breakfast
And The Workers From Postins Paint Used To Come Around
The Friends Of Mine Used To live just up the Road On The Oppersite
Side Of The Road To The Cafe
My mate Was Freddie Nottingham And His Three Daughters Was ALL Ginger
Hair There Name Was Patty , Maggie Maureen
When They Demolished Aston Church Road They Movrd To Park rd
Hockley But I Haven,t Seen Them In Years But i WOULD Dearly
Love To Meet Up With Them Again best wishes astonian ;;;;,

Good morning to you also. Im so glad youve helped me with memories. i thought i was dreamin it but i kep thinkin about church road all the time. i might just take a trip down there. thanks so much.

My other half had relatives living in Nechells and I asked him tonight if he remembered a pub in Aston Church Road, straight away he said there was a pub called The Prince ??? just down from Nechells Baths, would that be the one you recall?

Another thought why not post your query on Heartlands Forum, I'm sure someone who lived in the area would know.

Aston Church Rd Pub

There was a pub at 62 Aston Church Road on the corner of Mount Street Called The Jenny Lind, after the Swedish born singer. It was demolished about 1940 ish.

pmc1947
Photo replaced by what I believe is the same as the original

NechellsAstonChurchRdJennyLind1.jpg
Nechells Aston Church Rd Jenny Lind.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to ride my bike up the hill past there on my way to work mid 50s to 60s. That pub was long gone by then. Can't remember the houses though they seem to be older than I recall.
I think this was further north than the thread starter had in mind.

Well ive only just found a picture of the Jenny Lind and it looks very very like the one i am remembering ONLY it would have been in the 60s and 70s So it cant be jenny lind. I would like to find a picture or have info on the Prince of Wales that was also in aston church road if anybody can help? Please

Shown elsewhere on BHF this was the Jenny Lind, corner of Aston Church Rd

26 Jenny Lind Aston Church Rd 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back