• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre Photographs

Albert Street date unknown but the tram track has gone so possibly mid 1950s.

In the car seen in the bottom corner, the driver is 'hand signalling', indicating that he is either slowing down, turning right, or even turning left.

The 'Beehive' shop on the right always seemed a little old fashioned when I went in there.
View attachment 141500
Not a Nissan, Citroen. Peugot, Mercedes or BMW to be seen, in fact four of the six identifiable cars are BMC and am I right in thinking the van could be Austin? Trusty old electric milk float there as well. And could that van far right hand side be a Jowett Bradford?

Bob

The van behind the Traveller is a Ford Thames and I don't think the van in the distance is a Bradford, favour it being a Morris.

Last edited:
i agree with you 100% eric..although i could use stronger words because lessons were not learnt then..they have not been learnt since nor will they in the future...

lyn
Brings to mind the last line of Don Macleans song,Vincent:"They did not listen,they're not listening still,perhaps they never will".

Nodd the Pessimist.

Brings to mind the last line of Don Macleans song,Vincent:"They did not listen,they're not listening still,perhaps they never will". Nodd the Pessimist.

We always need to remember how many buildings Chamberlain knocked down to build Corporation Street and New Street.

If he had not done that we would not have those roads which I think we all agree are an asset to the city.

And how many buildings were knocked down to build the Council House and the BMAG behind it.

All cities are constantly changing, if they did not they would all be full of Tudor houses or even older houses.

The first photograph of some smiling elderly people, in colour, was taken by my son aged 17 in June 1987. We cannot remember where in the city centre it was and there are not many clues. I also took a rather dull black and white photograph of the same people but from a different direction. It does show that we are near a shopping centre (seen extreme right). Use of a magnifying class does not reveal anything else. Dave.
IMG-20200513-WA0013.jpgP1000729 (3).JPG

Hi Maurice. My first thought was that it looked like a churchyard but I know that on that day we did not go to Kings Heath. We did visit the Bull Ring, Aston University, Corporation Street, and some of the area around the Town Hall. A much greener Manzoni Gardens is a possibility but only if it is very close to a shopping centre. Possibly the Bull Ring shopping centre would fulfil that requirement. Dave.

The first photograph of some smiling elderly people, in colour, was taken by my son aged 17 in June 1987. We cannot remember where in the city centre it was and there are not many clues. I also took a rather dull black and white photograph of the same people but from a different direction. It does show that we are near a shopping centre (seen extreme right). Use of a magnifying class does not reveal anything else. Dave.
View attachment 145091View attachment 145092

Farmerdave The B+W photograph I thought the people were sitting outside St Martins in The Fields and the shopping centre was opposite that , I'm bound to be wrong though

Sorry about that. My eyesite misread the numbering on corporation st. The correct position of no 229 is on the corner of Lancaster st as below in red. This looks more like the photo.
map c1950 showing 229 Corporation st.jpg

Farmerdave The B+W photograph I thought the people were sitting outside St Martins in The Fields and the shopping centre was opposite that , I'm bound to be wrong though
If you mean the St. Martins in the area of the Bull Ring, then that is a possibility. Would need to see benches for people to sit either inside the churchyard or just outside. Thanks. Dave.

I think the answer was in post 1928 by Lloyd i.e. Manzoni Gardens.
St. Martins in the Fields overlooks Trafalgar Square, but I guess it was a lapsus memoriae. ;)

I think the answer was in post 1928 by Lloyd i.e. Manzoni Gardens.
St. Martins in the Fields overlooks Trafalgar Square, but I guess it was a lapsus memoriae. ;)

Rr looking at it in post 1928 if you are looking at an entrance to a subway , opposite to that which would be behind you, there is great big plate glass windows and bare concrete no wording to indicate shopping whatsoever , to my knowledge looking at different pics of the time

Back