• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

I find it far easier to use the old control panel - Windows Key + R and type control.exe.

Yes but Microsoft are gradually removing things from the Control Panel.

The Control Panel on my Window 7 PC has 48 icons (set on "Large Icons"),

My Windows 10 Control Panel only has 39.

I think Microsoft are working towards getting rid of the Control Panel totally.

Windows 10 is a long slow total rewrite and redesign of Windows, to get it more suitable for running on tablets and touch screen as well as "normal" laptops and PCs.

My desktop failure was more than the power supply. I have bought an HP Elite, refurbished for a very low price with a 12 month warranty which will suit me I believe. It is quiet - good feature. It is not a tower, but can be placed on its edge as a tower. However mine is in a lateral plane and has allowed my HP monitor t be placed upon it. This gives me more desk space, It comes with Windows 10 Pro installed, (vers. 1909) but that will eventually be removed and replaced by a Linux o/s. W10 does not seem to have changed a great deal - still very recognisable after two and a half years without it. It still needs a fair time to programme it to your needs - mainly switching off unwanted gizmos - and setting it as I want it. It also still has long winded updates. :D However, I have not put any personal files, photographs etc .on it so far: I can use my laptop for that. I will put those items on the pc when it has Linux. I have maintained the Windows Defender et al so have not yet considered any other substitute.

Why not dual boot your new device ?

In 2015 I bought a Lenovo tower computer but it was actually a laptop board in a metal case with only a one fan on the cpu. In hot weather it used to overheat so I had to fit a case fan. For various reasons I decided to make it dual boot with Linux. If I held the shift key down when starting, it ran Linux Mint otherwise it ran W10.

Eventually it developed an intermittent fault in it's gpu and would only run with the Windows generic driver which was useless for Youtube etc. The gpu ran perfectly with the Linux drivers so I kicked out W10 and it became a Linux only computer. I occasionally use it and for internet browsing it looks just like Windows using Chrome or Firefox.

I then bought an Acer 'proper' tower computer which is presently updated to the latest W10 version and I'm satisfied with it and find it has many advantages (for me) compared to a Linux computer.

I think the average forum member would not find it easy to use Linux unless it was previously set up for them and used mainly for internet browsing.

:)

I had dual boot on my old desktop and laptop, but I found I never used W10, so I decided to erase W10 and stick with Linux Mint. Earlier versions of Windows were easier to make a dual boot system but W10 needs to have some changes to BIOS etc. to enable Linux to be installed. At present I haven't had the time to go through the procedure with total confidence. As my interests are research and surfing - no gaming or artwork (which you excel at) I find Linux less involved that Windows. No scans, anti/v, de-frag and all the rest. Caches settngs keep them fairly uncluttered. Apparently anyone who has Apple finds Linux similar - well. so my daughter tells me and she has an Apple.

My family and relations all use Apple and my young grandaughter has actually told me that windows is a load of rubbish ... although she has had to use it at school.

To communicate with them via Facetime I use an Apple iPad but also use it much of the time for internet browsing. It is very convenient.

With Microsoft apps in the iPad I can see the files in my W10 computers and also access the free 5Gb OneDrive which I tend to use as a convenient network drive for everything.

After lunch I set to and got to grips to get rid of Windows 10 Pro. I did and installed Linux Mint (Tricia) on the new desktop in a some 15 minutes. It took a couple of hours getting everything as I wanted - in line with what I had on the old desktop. I have to be honest the font on W10 was not good and had I stayed with it I would have changed it.
The place to be today is by a fireside, it is cold with a harsh wind.

As I've said before I don't do anything complicated on any computer so get surprised when something different starts to happen. What is TouchPad Driver Diagnostics all about? Seems to be dumping stuff in Documents folder. Why? No idea why it started to appear. Can it be stopped? Thanks in anticipation.

I have done a search on "TouchPad Driver Diagnostics" and quite a few people are getting it (over a number of years).

Seems to happen on a number of laptops when a certain set of keys are pressed. What laptop have you got?

All the answers seem to suggest the same thing, updating a file called the Registry. However I suggest you DONT do this as the registry is an important Windows file and if you do it wrong it could stop Windows working.

Here is one answer as an example (DONT do the suggestion):

"https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-started/b6d7acc5-8716-4335-b16d-cea4e7527d1b

Maybe do your own search on "TouchPad Driver Diagnostics" for your particular laptop and see if there is a solution that does NOT update the registry.

As I've said before I don't do anything complicated on any computer so get surprised when something different starts to happen. What is TouchPad Driver Diagnostics all about? Seems to be dumping stuff in Documents folder. Why? No idea why it started to appear. Can it be stopped? Thanks in anticipation.
My comment .. :)
If you have the latest version and build of Windows 10 you will find that the 'right-click' on Start shows PowerShell (Admin) rather than the old Command Prompt (Admin). You can paste into PowerShell so copy the line below and paste it into Powershell and hit enter. It is best to copy and paste because the spaces in the line are important but make sure you don't get a space on the end when you copy. You can inspect the line in Powershell before hitting enter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SynTP\Parameters\Debug /v DumpKernel /d 00000000 /t REG_DWORD /f

and then reboot the laptop.

To be really safe then before doing anything Create a Restore Point (Not Recovery) as we used to do with Win 7. This will automatically back-up your registry so that your can use the Restore Point if necessary. You can find the Restore Point procedure by typing Restore into windows search. I always do this when making minor registry changes.

I always use a small Logitech wireless mouse with my laptop. It has a clickable scroll wheel as well as the normal buttons .... it disables the touchpad when on and is much better to use ...

It seems like both Microsoft and Apple both rush into upgrades that are not ready or complete and in some cases unstable. At least with Apple they do not charge for all except by constantly changing phones! When I upgraded MS Office I had to get windows 10 now thank goodness its being phased out but I will have to buy its replacement!
I still do some consulting work with factory automation globally and Apple and Microsoft are nowhere to be found. The level of complexity starting with the HMI (human machine interface) is extremely high and has to be reliable running in a factory for years controlling production lines and safety interfaces.
I wonder if Windows 11 (or whatever its called) and the new I phone update will be more reliable and stable?

When I upgraded MS Office I had to get windows 10 now thank goodness its being phased out but I will have to buy its replacement!
I wonder if Windows 11 (or whatever its called) and the new I phone update will be more reliable and stable?

In the first sentence am I right in thinking you are saying Windows 10 is being phased out?

If that is what you are saying then there is no truth in that. Microsoft have said for a while that Windows 10 will be the "last" release of Windows.

Windows 10 came out in 2015 and has been constantly updated since that time. They are taking the opportunity to totally rewrite much of Windows including redesigning all the windows and icons so they can be used on touch screens.

In your second sentence you mention "Windows 11" but there is no plans for a Windows 11.

What Microsoft ARE doing at the end of this May or early June (2020) is to bring out another MAJOR update to Windows 10 (but it will still be called Windows 10).

This will entail downloading the whole copy of Windows 10 and for the whole of Windows to be reinstalled. This will all happen automatically.

Because of this major Windows update it is a good idea for everyone to backup ALL their files as some major updates can go wrong, or personal files can be deleted, so better to have everything backed up.

In the first sentence am I right in thinking you are saying Windows 10 is being phased out?

If that is what you are saying then there is no truth in that. Microsoft have said for a while that Windows 10 will be the "last" release of Windows.

Windows 10 came out in 2015 and has been constantly updated since that time. They are taking the opportunity to totally rewrite much of Windows including redesigning all the windows and icons so they can be used on touch screens.

In your second sentence you mention "Windows 11" but there is no plans for a Windows 11.

What Microsoft ARE doing at the end of this May or early June (2020) is to bring out another MAJOR update to Windows 10 (but it will still be called Windows 10).

This will entail downloading the whole copy of Windows 10 and for the whole of Windows to be reinstalled. This will all happen automatically.

Because of this major Windows update it is a good idea for everyone to backup ALL their files as some major updates can go wrong, or personal files can be deleted, so better to have everything backed up.
guilbert53, my comment regarding windows 11 (was being factious) as I said or whatever it will be. Meaning whatever replaces the current windows 10. They can call it whatever they want but it will be as you said a through make over of the current system.
Sorry for any confusion!

Re. Touch pad driver diagnostics. Thanks for all the advice. Must admit to being apprehensive about "fiddling". Laptop does it automatic monthly update and I carry on using it as before! Anyway this diagnostic was becoming a nuisance so I read the advice proffered and the whole problem disappeared, truly I did nothing apart from deleting the files that this had created in File Explorer and, touch wood, I have seen nothing of it since.

Let me start off by saying that I am not very computer savvy. I have just taken out a subscription to British Newspaper Archive for family tree purposes. I have found several articles that I would like to use. My problem is that I am only allowed to download the whole page and not just the article I want. I have seen posts on the forums whereby members have posted individual articles, adverts and references without having to include the whole page. I would be grateful if any member could advise me (In simple language please :) ) how I can isolate and save to my records the articles I want.
Thanks in advance
Jim.
P.S. If this is posted on the wrong thread then please accept my apologies.

You can use the sniping tool to higlight the section you want, save it as a jpeg and then post it here. Type snip in the serch box to find the snipping tool. You can do the same with the snip and sketch too too

You can use the sniping tool to higlight the section you want, save it as a jpeg and then post it here. Type snip in the serch box to find the snipping tool. You can do the same with the snip and sketch too too
Morturn, which search box do you mean? The one on this forum, the one on the BNA website or where?
Just tried both with no success. Just brings articles with the word snip in them.

Search on windows. Click on windows icon on lhs of tool bar. A menu comes up alphabetically. Scroll until you get to "snip". I think right click let's you add it to the tool bar to save future searches. I have the snip icon on my tool bar.

Search on windows. Click on windows icon on lhs of tool bar. A menu comes up alphabetically. Scroll until you get to "snip". I think right click let's you add it to the tool bar to save future searches. I have the snip icon on my tool bar.
AH HA! Got it! Many thanks for that. When I have got the appropriate clip can you tell me where it is stored. Is it in pictures or downloads or what?

Let me start off by saying that I am not very computer savvy. I have just taken out a subscription to British Newspaper Archive for family tree purposes. I have found several articles that I would like to use. My problem is that I am only allowed to download the whole page and not just the article I want. I have seen posts on the forums whereby members have posted individual articles, adverts and references without having to include the whole page. I would be grateful if any member could advise me (In simple language please Gosh ) how I can isolate and save to my records the articles I want.
Thanks in advance
Jim.
P.S. If this is posted on the wrong thread then please accept my apologies.
Gosh, Jim you talk my language. I assume you use Windows10 as you are on this page, what I do is to do a screen dump then use the "Photos" editing tool to extract the portion I need, works for me.

Back