• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St George's Church Newtown

hi bri nice bit of family info there...here is a map showing 142 st georges rectory and also a photo of the rectory

lyn

Attachments

• Hockley_Hill_Hse_&_St_Georges_Rectory_1889_Old_Maps.jpg
    Hockley_Hill_Hse_&_St_Georges_Rectory_1889_Old_Maps.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 41
  • hockley hill st georges rectory 1901.jpg
    hockley hill st georges rectory 1901.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 39
Hi Bri. Very interesting you just never know what you will find.
hope you are well Bri

Stars

Wow lovely bit of family history, especially with the photo and map...

Cheers Stars - keeping busy with my tree - I have to find them - not like Lin - the trees come to her!
Just found Elizabeth's sister Emily is Housemaid to Robert Lucas Chance - him who's in Key Hill - of Chance Glass - who did the 1851 Great Exhibition glass work!
Where would all these great people be, without us minions running round looking after them......!
Bri

My father-in-laws mother, Annie Elizabeth Bennett was baptised at St Georges in June 1912. Its a shame the church and houses in Buckingham Street have since been demolished.

Does anyone know what became of the headstones and bodies that were buried at St. George's? Specifically, I am looking for Nellie/Eleanor Warren-Owen who was buried here in 1873.

as far as i know the bodies are still buried there but as to what happened to most of the headstones i have no idea...there are however a few heastones resting against the walls of the churchyard

lyn

eric your paintings always cheer us up....as you know i have one of st georges church but mine takes in st georges place as well....i admire it everytime i walk up and down the stairs:) along with the other 9 erics i have :D

lyn

Morturn, I painted it some years ago for Lynne Web for her Sisters birthday present, enjoyed painting it, lovely subject (from one of Lyns black and white pics, so colours are guess work) Eric

Morturn, I painted it some years ago for Lynne Web for her Sisters birthday present, enjoyed painting it, lovely subject (from one of Lyns black and white pics, so colours are guess work) Eric

Thanks, it is a smashing painting that, I bet she was chuffed

My mom and dad married at St. Georges in October 1945. Here are a couple of photos that I have come across. They are not "official" ones - I will have to try and find those. They show my mom arriving at the church with my grandad. The last one is of her two bridesmaids, the lady on the right was her sister. Dad was still in the Army at the time, he was still serving in Italy in 1946. Not exactly sure when he was discharged.

View attachment 17092View attachment 17093View attachment 17094
Hi. I only picked this up today(no idea why!) and I thought it really interesting as my mom and dad were also married at St. Georges - October (10) 1945. Do you know if your parents had the bells rung? Dawn

Hi. I only picked this up today(no idea why!) and I thought it really interesting as my mom and dad were also married at St. Georges - October (10) 1945. Do you know if your parents had the bells rung? Dawn
Hi sorry I've only just seen this too. My parents married on 20th October 1945 and are both deceased so unfortunately I have no idea if they did have the bells rung. I will try and post their wedding photos later. Julie

dont think this has been posted before...the ww1 memorial which is in the church yard of st georges church..no date but it looks quite old...looking towards gt hampton row...the names of those who died are engraved on the other 3 sides...i did take photos of the names a few years ago and the photos are on this thread somewhere

lyn

st georges church memorial.jpg

Back