• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mason Family

Jules65

master brummie
I am trying to trace my Mason family. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to do a look up for me on the 1891 census.

Details I have are;

Father - William Mason b1851
Mother - Mary Ball
Children - William Mason b1879
Francis Mason b1884
Lily Mason b1887 (I think she may have died soon after birth?)
Violet Mason b1890
James Mason b1894
Alfred Mason b1899

Thank you.

Here they are, I think ! Lily is there but Francis isn't
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Stephen
Address: 8 Ct 2 Milton Street

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born MASON William Head M M 40 Shop Window Fitter(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Mary J Wife M F 35 Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON William J Son S M 12 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Thomas Son S M 6 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Lily Dau S F 4 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Violet M Dau S F 1 Warwickshire - Birmingham

Last edited:
Thank you Pom - and so quick - amazing!

I haven't come across Thomas before. I wonder where this family was in 1901 and if Thomas was still living with them.

Should I start a thread for a look-up in 1901 - sorry Pom I am relatively new to this and just want to follow correct procedure.

I wonder where Francis was? I am very interested in Francis as it seems following his marriage to Teressa Farrell he had little or no contact with his family. He died in 1927.

Would his marriage to a Catholic have caused a rift in his family? Was there bad feelings towards Catholic's in Birmingham around that time. I am unsure of his year of marriage. He and Teressa had at least 5 children but no one in our side of the family ever knew about them until recently. My Uncle is even convinced I have got our family tree wrong as he never met or even heard about these cousins of his. His mom, Violet Mason was Francis's sister.

A good idea is to put a post under Mason on the: Surnames M to P section
M - P https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=223

I will see if I can find Francis for you on 1891.

Just had a thought, do you think Thomas may have been miss transcribed for Francis.
We need to get someone with access to the original to check.
There are some members on the forum after reading this who will check for you.
Yes families were known to disown family members who married outside the families religion.

Chris

Last edited:
I am looking for any information on the Mason family. They have been found on the 1891 census

Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Stephen
Address: 8 Ct 2 Milton Street

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born MASON William Head M M 40 Shop Window Fitter(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Mary J Wife M F 35 Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON William J Son S M 12 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Thomas Son S M 6 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Lily Dau S F 4 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
MASON Violet M Dau S F 1 Warwickshire - Birmingham

There is a son missing off this census, his name was Francis Mason b1884. I know he married a Teressa Farrell and that they had at least 5 children.

Violet Mason is my grandmother. She died when I was very young. She never told my dad much about her family. I have been trying to find out as much about this family as possible.

I know that another son, Alfred Reginald Mason, died in a POW camp in Stendal, Germany in 1917. He lied about his age to enlist.

But my nan never talked about Francis. He married a catholic and I think this may have caused a family rift. My dad (sadly no longer with us) and his brother always thought they had no Uncles, Aunts or cousins.

Any help anyone could give would be gratefully received.

Thanks

in 1891 the "thomas" you mention is francis w mason.

in 1901 the family are as follows.

william t mason 48
mary jane mason 44
william t mason 22
francis w mason 16
lilly mason 14
violet m mason 11
james a mason 7
reginald a mason 2

living at milton street bham.

chris

Hi Jules, Chris is spot on, the original census shows Francis age 6 not Thomas as transcribed. :)
Just had a peek at the 1901, the family still living at 2Court 8 House milton street. Son William T is a Cycle Turner, Francis W is a Burnisher, Lilly a Paper Box Maker, Violet M scholar,there are 2 more children James A age 7 and Reginald A age 2. Mother Mary shown as Mary Jane.

Last edited:
Thanks to Chris and Di.Poppitt. Thats cleared up the mystery of Thomas.

I think Reginald Alfred was in fact Alfred Reginald or at least that's what his family called him.

Is there anyway to find out if any of these children married and had children? I think I have found 5 children from the marriage of Francis and Teressa. Details below;

Francis b1913, Bernard b1914, Nora b1920, Irene b1923, Marjorie b1924 and Leslie b1926.

I know Violet May Mason married my grandfather George Daniel Dauncey in 1915. But I know nothing about the other Mason children.

Any suggestions please onto finding more information about William Mason and Mary's other children?

Thanks again for all your help. This really is such a fantastic site where there is so much help available. Unlike Genes Reunited where you have to establish a link with your family and then maybe share information, here you are able to get help from people kind enough to share their expertise. So I apologise for "picking your brains" but sometimes when doing research you just seem to reach a dead end and can see no way forward. Thanks again.

Sorry I think I have put my above rather long post in the wrong thread. I have started another thread asking for general information about the Mason family rather than under the census look-up for 1891. Sorry but don't know how to move it to right place - apologies.

Jules, I have had a look for marriages and children of William and Mary's children. There are so many Masons, it isn't possible to know which is your Mason family.

Francis Mason married Teressa Farrell September quarter 1911 ref Birmingham 6d 300

I did find two of Francis and Teressa's children, easier because from 1913 mother's maiden name is shown.

Irene Mason registered June quarter 1923 ref Birmingham 6d 420. Mother's maiden name shown as Farnell, but I think it is your Teressa.

Leslie Mason registered September quarter 1926 ref Birmingham 6d 570 mother's maiden name Farrell

Hi Di.Poppitt. Thank you for looking.

I have found that looking backwards in family history is SO much easier than trying to go forwards. Unfortunately with a common name like Mason it makes things so much more difficult.

Thanks again for trying.

Perhaps I will need to concentrate more on looking for William and Mary's parents.

Jules

I now have copies of Birth and Death Certificates for two of Francis Walter Mason's children. It is such a sad story. I have Bernard James Mason born on 20th January 1914. His parents are Franics Mason - occupation Brass Burnisher (Journeyman) and Teresa Mason formerly Farrell. They were living at 84 Wilton Street.

Next I have the birth of Teresa Mason on 19th January 1916. Same details for parents, though Francis is now listed as a Lamp Burnisher. They are now living at 2 back 33 Wilton Street.

So in 1916 Francis was not yet in the army.

This is the sad part

I have death certificates for these two children. They died 6 days apart in 1917. Francis is now listed as a Private in Oxford & Buckingham Light Infantry. Reg. No. 32955. Their poor mother having to deal with these two tragedies alone.

It seems that Francis was disowned by his own family as he married in a catholic church to Teresa Farrell.

I can only hope she had her own family nearby to help her.

Teresa Mason died 10th March 1917 of i) Acute Nephritis ii) Tuberculosis of Lungs
Bernard James died 16th March 1917 of Measles and Broncho Pneumonia

What a sad thing to have happened, losing two children within days of each other. It really hits you hard, I know, because they are your family and you feel part of them. I do try to remember that our families dealt with death better than we do today, perhaps because they had seen so many young family members die, but it doesn't make it any easier to bear.

My Granddad had a similar situation to deal with Jules.
He married in 1911 and by 1918 he had seen the death of his first wife and three young children, also his 18 yrs old younger brother, who died as a result of an accident while training to fight for his country in the Army.
The 'Step family' from his second marriage said he drank a lot and that was a contributory to him dying of a bad bout of Bronchitis at age 46. My Dad, his only child from the second marriage and born blind never said much about his dad, except he admired him. I now as an adult can see why he did and have the same feelings about him.
As Di says, while doing research we come across and see so many families back then who last children, mothers and fathers all at very young ages.

Pom

Jules i think the leslie mason mentioned above is my grandad but he was born in 27. Seems the other info matches mine though so would be good to speak to about it.

Dave , the son of Theresa nee Farrell was Leslie Joseph Mason born 11th june 1926 registered Sept qtr.He died in July 2002.
There was a Leslie Stanley Mason b Birmingham, 10th November 1926, parents William and Eva he died in 1998.
There were no births of Leslie Mason in midlands in 1927.

My aunty, his daughter, says he was born 11 07 27. she might have miss typed it. He did die 2002 I was at his funeral. 100% same family. I think he served on Hms idomitable during the war.

Back