• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

German organisations/links with Birmingham

How did the Club fare after the outbreak of WW1, I wonder?
I know one town that changed Hanover Street to Anzac Street afterwrds.

The club was apparently established in 1856 from cutting below. there are mentions of the club in the papers up till 1979 (not many papers after that date available online ). Afraid I cannot find any mention of a club visit to Kenilworth.

German club.Birm post.23.3.1881.jpg

Moturn was interested in 12, Easy Row...the German Club and shows the front door..

How did the Club fare after the outbreak of WW1, I wonder?
I know one town that changed Hanover Street to Anzac Street afterwrds.

July 1917 the Mail reports that some years ago there was a successful German club in Easy Row.... Lately however
the numbers declined and the club was broken up some years since.

When I was working on the Grid Project, the Footsteps of Phyllis Nicklin, one of my locations was the German club in Easy Row. I found it on the Fire Maps. Ill have a look later and see if I can dig a Fire Map out

I think this is it Morturn (plus a few arrows). I take it you look at them, like me, on the BM site. This needs Flash to access, and Chrome is to stop use of this at the end of the year. I hope the BM alter it so that it does not need Flash

Fire  insurance map c1889 showing German club.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who has responded to my enquiry about the German Club. It's been my second query since joining the forum, and I'm greatly heartened by how active it is and how generous people are with their time. It's been most helpful, and I hope there may come a time when I can offer help to another member. My mother's maternal family moved to Birmingham in 1820 and from my great-great-grandparents onwards, through to 1945, they were almost all there. My mother moved to Merseyside when she married my father, but her parents were living in The Close, Olton, which we often visited, all through my childhood - and my great-greatmother lived there too. She was born in 1867 and died in 1964: an amazing span of mega changes to have lived through. I knew her well: I was 18 when she died. (I lived in Birmingham again at the start of the 1970s, teaching for a year in Erdington.) If this touches on anything of interest to other members, I'm happy to try to be of help.

Hi Mike, yes that looks like it. I do have the key to these Fire Maps ill post it later. Maybe we should look at how we can ensure access or make copy’s if flash comes to an end.

Some references to the German Club (Club Germania) at #12 Easy Row and Phyllis Nicklins 1960 phot of the entrance. 'Gersang Verein' would have been a German choral society, I expect part of the Club Germania. The Club would have been closed down under the Aliens Restrictions Act after the outbreak of WW1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230721_195345_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230721_195345_Chrome.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230721_194750_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230721_194750_Chrome.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230721_193058_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230721_193058_Chrome.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back