• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

I know you are talking about Crete, but remember Malta, and the old converted British trucks? I know it has changed so much these days. DSCF0598.JPG Here is a Leyland from the fifties.

Perusing the collections of both Wythall and Aldridge reminded me that one of the missing types, sadly, of buses once in the BCT fleet, is a representative of the the half cab, Crossley. The first post WW2 deliveries of 10 buses also with Crossley bodies, entered service in mid 1949. GOE 646 - 654 (1646 - 1654).
The last one, GOE 655 (1655) was used in gear experiments (torque converter). It was a recognisable bus due to the different and unusual sound it made.
A further order, of 260 buses, commenced delivery in 1949. These were. however, the first 'new look' BCT buses. The class, JOJ 266 - 395 (2266 - 2395) was split into two with a different adaption of the engine, there were also other differences principally mechanical.

Many of the "new look" Birmingham 'Standards' had Crossley bodies; some with Crossley engines. The last buses of this style for the BCT, in 1953/54 were Crossley bodied Daimlers. This style is well represented in preservation.
1589211714710.png

Last edited:
Perusing the collections of both Wythall and Aldridge reminded me that one of the missing types, sadly, of buses once in the BCT fleet, is a representative of the the half cab, Crossley.
Many of the "new look" Birmingham 'Standards' had Crossley bodies; some with Crossley engines.

Those later Crossleys are represented in preservation by 2489 (JOJ 489) which although not part of Wythall or Aldridge museums' collections, quite often attends events at them.2489  JOJ 489 CROSSLEY.jpg

The photo by Lloyd of JOJ 489 reminded me of that bus, although at the time of posting I could not remember its fleet number. Another member of this class of bus 2516 - JOJ 516, was exhibited at the 1950 Commercial Motor Show but got a far greater pubic showing when at the Festival of Britain in 1951. It was there for nearly two months: I was delighted to see it there when I went to the F of B on a day trip with school.

The photo by Lloyd of JOJ 489 reminded me of that bus, although at the time of posting I could not remember its fleet number. Another member of this class of bus 2516 - JOJ 516, was exhibited at the 1950 Commercial Motor Show but got a far greater pubic showing when at the Festival of Britain in 1951. It was there for nearly two months: I was delighted to see it there when I went to the F of B on a day trip with school.
Alan
Did it not carry a plaque for a while saying it had been at the F of B?

Bob

The two photographs of these Birmingham buses were taken within seconds of each other in June 1987. They were in the city centre but I cannot remember exactly where. The colour photograph is the better one of the buses but the black and white one may give a better idea of the location. The registration of the number 55 bus is WDA 668T and I think the number 26 is SDA 642S. Dave.
IMG-20200513-WA0012.jpgP1000734 (3).JPG

I thought that Mike, but did not realise than Corporation Street was now two-way traffic. My memory of things moving east? was only trams from Martineau Street. Everything else went the other way.

It's been a long time since I was there and have lost my bearings a bit! Would the buses be outside of where Harry Parkes sports shop was?

I don't know Bob. You have caught me out. :D
Maybe Lloyd or someone else can confirm it.
That bus was often on the 2b route and we often caught it...and YES it had a plaque in the lower saloon at the drivers end telling it was on show at Festival of Britain.........does anyone know the name of the blue colour that the City Transport buses were painted in....WMPTE was Oxford Blue...but what was BCT ???

That bus was often on the 2b route and we often caught it...and YES it had a plaque in the lower saloon at the drivers end telling it was on show at Festival of Britain.........does anyone know the name of the blue colour that the City Transport buses were painted in....WMPTE was Oxford Blue...but what was BCT ???
I think it was called COBALT blue during the war years some was paint battleship grey

I think it was called COBALT blue during the war years some was paint battleship grey
Cheers Ray...what I've seen of Cobalt Blue is too light, I've seen so many guesses over the years of what the shade of blue it is...the most recent one was Blackberry....but who really knows ????

Cheers Ray...what I've seen of Cobalt Blue is too light, I've seen so many guesses over the years of what the shade of blue it is...the most recent one was Blackberry....but who really knows ????
When you say it was too light, are you going only from black and white photos, as the earlier films were not panchromatic, and might not have reproduced lightness/darkness perfectly

[
When you say it was too light, are you going only from black and white photos, as the earlier films were not panchromatic, and might not have reproduced lightness/darkness perfectly

The trams were 'cobalt blue' and 'pale cream' (also called 'primrose)' according to PW Lawson's 'Birmingham Corporation Tramway Rolling Stock,' 1983 and, Mayou et.al's 'Birmingham Corporation Tramways: trams and trolley buses,' 1982. From the photographs I have seen the two main colours of the bus and tram liveries look the same.

However, I don't know if the shade that was called 'cobalt blue' a century ago is what is called 'cobalt blue' today.

Last edited:
Back