• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Summerfield Park

HI DIANE
I Can recall a lad playing in a foot ball team was struck by lughting as i recall i was frequently meeting mymates up there
there use to be a gang of us meeting out side the park and inside most nights
and one of our friends whom as died sme many years back now told us what had happenend on that day we all just missed it ;
with out changing the subject i have bought this months magg of carl chinns and there is an article of some body whom also used to go up
summerfield park often andthere was a band on and there was a photo shoot of some band and a group of kids sitting on the grass by the stage listening to the band i will get my son to put it on the forum over the week also i have a friend whom still lives up by the park in barford rd whom used to play for a team up the park i will send them an e mail and asked them if they knew whom it was if you really wanted to know ;
best wishes astonian;

Hi Astonian, I would love to see a picture of Summerfield Park which would bring back happy memories for me. My aunt used to live in Barford Road and had a lovely cross-bred bullterrier that I used to take for walks in the park (always on the lead I may add).

Anthea

They used to have a smashing flower display on a raised bank at the front of the Park - which always used to look really colourful as you went past on the 11 bus up by the junction of Dudley Rd and (the old) Winson Green Road junction. (c1950-1960s's). Its just flat now - never mind.

#1 - Summerfield Park

Summerfield Park.jpg

#2 - Summerfield Park - The Chamberlain celebration.
Summerfield Park - Chamberlain Celebration - c1906.jpg

Last edited:
#5 - Summerfield Park - c1911 (Same viewpoint as picture#1)
The Policeman is in the same position - Photographer waited for a crowd to gather around and "pose".
#5 - Summerfield Park - 1911.jpg

Yes chris there were huge bonfires and the fair too. We stopped going when people started throwing fireworks about.
rosie.

we lived in Winson Green road opposite the school from 1958 until 1966 and we regularly went to summerfield park on on bonfire night. Bob Wilson fun fair was always there. It was a great park and a short cut to Rotton Park res.

Back