• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the golden cross aston cross

sylviasayers

master brummie
Golden Cross

I used to go to the Golden Cross sometimes on Saturday nights when I was courting and as a young married woman in the late 50s and early 60s
we had some great nights at concerts and "free and easys" in the upstairs
Assembly Rooms.

My then husband had to work on Saturday mornings in those days and would often have a pint in the Cross before coming home for his lunch,
he told me on one occasion Jimmy Houston's wife marched into the pub with two suitcases, threw them at him, and said you spend so much time
here you might as well live here" I would love to know what happened later.

:coolsmiley:ANY ONE REMEMBER THE MIDLAND JAZZ CLUB WHEN IT MOVED TO THE GOLDEN CROSS, MAGGE BROUGH THE SECOND CITY JAZZ BAND TO FRIDAY NIGHT JAM SESSIONS,AFTER THEY LEFT DIGBETH.
MY PAL & WORKMATE RAY HUTCHINSON INTRODUCED ME TO THIS VENUE AFTER THE MOVE.
IT MADE A WELCOME CHANGE FORM HAVEING TO TRAVEL INTO THE CITY, HAVEING A JAZZ CLUB ON YOUR DOORSTEP,I ONLY LIVED OVER ASTON CROSS IN TOWER ROAD AT THAT TIME.
HO MORE HAPPY HAPPY MEMORIES .
ASTON

Maurice Cook
Hi Sylvia...
sorry, I know you made this post ages ago...but I know of a Maurice Cook (met him and his wife and kids years ago, when I was working with B'ham City Mission at the church they belong to, in Kingstanding)
don't know if it's the same person or you kept in touch, but it's a slightly unusual name... he was living then in Great Barr I think...
a very dark-haired person (and bearded then).

Hi Mazbeth, nice to have you posting again on the Forum. No it isn't the same Maurice Cook, my old friend Maurice is fair haired and lived in Aston Hall Road before he married. I do still see him at the Burlington Street/Upper Thomas Street school Reunions, next one Friday 7th July, at The Barn, Brookvale Road, opposite Witton Cemetery, it would be lovely to see you and your mom Elsie if you can make it. Time 7 p.m. until late.

I left Birmingham in January 1961, but certainly remember the MJC being down in Digbeth and Madge. The pianist at the time was, I believe, Pete Vicary.

But getting back to the Golden Cross, I can remember Ronnie Scott, Tubby Hayes and the Jazz Couriers and other modern jazz groups performing there of a Sunday night in the the late 1950's/1960. My companion on a few of those trips was fellow musician and drummer Pete Sweetman, who around then moved from Winson Green to Northfield. Anyone know if he is still about?

hi there
i know we have had the threads before about the golden x and i hope its the request is in the right slot but i would like to asked could any body do a check on the licencee for the period of 1955 whom was the registered licence holder really appreciate this one
once againi opologise if its in the wrong slot
best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian
From the 1956 kellys, which would refer to 1955
Golden Cross hotel, Hector G. Dodd, 1 Lichfield rd 6
mike

HI MIKE
MANY THANKS FOR THAT RESEARCH IT WAS SOME THINK I REALLY NEEDED
THE THOUGHT OF DODDS WAS GOING THROUGH MY HEAD ABOUT THE NAME
HE USED TO COME UP UP TO OUR HOUSE WITH HIS RATHER LARGE ST BERNARD DOG
HE WAS SO HUGE WE WAS ONLY LITTLE KIDS AT THE TIME AND HEWOULD LET US
HAVE A RIDE ON HIS BACK HE APPARENTLY WAS THE MIDLANDS BIGGEST PORK PIE EATER AND WON ALL THE COMPETIONS APPARENTLY THEY USED TO HAVE THESE DOG COMPETIONS UP STAIRS I WAS TOLD MANY MANY YEARS AGO
AND MY DAD USED TO DO HISRELEIF AT THE PUB LIKE WISE AS SO TO THE OTHER PUBS AROND THE CROSS CIRCLE AT ASTON CROS ALLTHOSE PUBS DAD USED TO THERE RELEIFS FOR THE GAFFERS I WONDER IF ANY BODY OUT THERE REMEMBER HIM . BILL WAS IS NAME DURING THE THIRTYS -40,S-FIFTYS UNTIL HE DIED MARCH 30 th 1958 and now burried in handswoth cem;
once again mike a big thank you for your time have anice day astonian ;;

Hi Astonian,
This is probably going too far back for your needs but in 1921 the manager was J. Murray and in 1944 L.J. Kirkland.

Good morning dave
how are you keeping fine i hope ,
thanks for that tit bit of info; so this guy was my aunties mananager
my aunt ,maud smart was the box office manager and she always let me infor free and i i got free ice creams on that day she hadto smuggle me in because he was around i always thought the astoria picture house was miles better thanthe astonx picture house i though it wasabit of a flea pit ,have a nice day dave best wishes astonian ,;;

Hi Dave
its me again i have just relized that it was the golden croos you was on about
and not the astoria, [ silly me ] well yes again at the golden cross that worked for kirland as well and then the dodds before he died as i said he worked all the pubs on the cross from the star right up and around to the cross i think it was four or five pubs there i just cannot think of them at the moment at this time of day
he done all the managers of each pub releifs he stated there at the cross from 14 years old to the aged of 42 years old before he died in 1958 it was a good friday 1958 march the 30th he was a womiser my old lady caught him in the passage way of the cross in the arms of a mrs mason whom ran the off licence across from the pub in rocky lane there was one big scene i was told , still at the end the booze got him and his woodbine fags he was a hard and voilent towards my mother and very strict with us i have to admitt i was the only one in the family whom would take no for anaswer
and cheek him back best wishes dave, astonian ;;

I can do you one of the Golden Cross on the corner of Rocky Lane.

Phil

Lost photo replaced

Aston Golden Cross.jpg
AstonGoldenCross.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi phil and jean
jean is right my old father used to run hat pub many years ago
its the golden cross on aston cross for the dodds family
and yes they did have the dances up stairs and alsorts of competitions
and a certain society used to hold there meeting up stairs as well
old doddy used to keep a big dog an he used to eat pork pies
and the dog was called dumpling and he used to wear a brandy bottle or a whisky
barrell around is neck he was the local champion pork pie eating dog
of the midlands this was around the late fortys to early -mid fifties
my old mother used to go occasionial and once she caught him in the passage way
kissing and cuddling a certain lady whom i do not think i can mention
but she kept the off licence in rocky lane across the rd from the pub
he started there as bar personat the age of 14 years old and worked his way
up the chain of command and then he was doing all the managements releif on all the pubs on aston cross lichfield rd
but yes getting back on track that was the golden cross aston cross
and i have drank gallons of lemonade and ate tons of smiths crisp
with the little salt bag inside ,to know and remember the golden cross
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian ;;;

If you examine the photo on #post10 there are Golden Crosses above the upstairs windows, just noticed them. Dek

HI GUYS
Please forgive me on this one but i have reason to beleive the licence holder of the golden cross pub aston was run by a mr and mrs dodds
i know its been mentionion before but i seem to recsall a person whom as access to these licenced premises but i cannot recall whm it was
after seeing the thread of the dodds whom kept a huge big st bernards dog and this dog was so huge he was in a meat eating competition
apparently during those years up stairs at the golden cross and it was held faily regular as i seem to recall
when my old man started there as a kid behind the bar and mr dodd used to walk along the lichfield road with him to our terrace just past
Ansells brewery with my old man the huge dog was called dumplin and as i was only a tot of a littl kid he would let me have a ride on his back for a couple of yards he was a st bernards dog huge in weight and in size mr and mrs dodd was there for years
is it posible to check the licence holders register or electrol roll for that period and see if there is any connection they was my fatheres and mothjers long time bussiness friends many thanks Astonian;;

I am looking for information on the golden cross pub at aston cross
i would like to know whom was the licence at that period
from 1950 to 1954 years if thats possible please and was there any gentlemans society held there ;up stairs
many thanks astonian;;

The 1952 directory says
Golden Cross Hotel; Fredk Dennis King,

I am looking for information on the golden cross pub at aston cross
i would like to know whom was the licence at that period
from 1950 to 1954 years if thats possible please and was there any gentlemans society held there ;up stairs
many thanks astonian;;

In the 1950 Kellys it was Arthur Jones, and in the 1955 Kellys it was Hector G Dodd

My late parents were landlords of the cross, Hector and Doll Dodd in the early fifties, I remember there being a jazz club upstairs on a Friday I think, and also the Buffs club. We had 2 dogs, a bullmastiff which was huge, called Dumpling, and a mongreal called Kim. Mine was a happy childhood and can still remember the aroma of HP sauce and Ansells brewery .

My pictures of Golden Cross.

Attachments

• 513DB1BC-5574-4990-9826-BF669D1FA4ED.jpeg
    513DB1BC-5574-4990-9826-BF669D1FA4ED.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 37
  • D17C214D-FBDF-425D-A21A-9C97D32128D4.jpeg
    D17C214D-FBDF-425D-A21A-9C97D32128D4.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2842AEF9-2423-420F-81EB-E836D8387E4B.jpeg
    2842AEF9-2423-420F-81EB-E836D8387E4B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 9970F952-FD6F-427F-B978-F6598BBB3678.jpeg
    9970F952-FD6F-427F-B978-F6598BBB3678.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • A021EEA4-831B-40E8-A74A-D44CE2E9CCF2.jpeg
    A021EEA4-831B-40E8-A74A-D44CE2E9CCF2.jpeg
    733.3 KB · Views: 34
My pictures of Golden Cross.
Hello supersuzy1. I loved popping in to The Golden Cross. I worked next door at Tubes Ltd, from 1964-1977, and whenever i had a chance, i would pop in for a quick drink at lunchtimes. Was a lovely old pub. And i hope you enjoy looking through this great site, for many more facts about our old Brum (and Aston).

Hello Suzy,

Ronnie Scott and his fellow jazzmen also played upstairs on a Sunday evening on a number of occasions during the 1950s, If we didn't come over to hear them then we were generally over listening to the Andy Hamilton Band, unless, of course, we were playing elsewhere outselves.

Maurice :cool:

The pub seems to have had a reputation for dog shows throughout the 1930s and 40s. They must have been abandoned during WW2 as the notice below tells us that the shows were being ‘revived’ in the 1950s.

Attachments

• 74ED2E89-652D-4875-9988-B8D5D72D8990.jpeg
    74ED2E89-652D-4875-9988-B8D5D72D8990.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 3
I noted the Buff photos (RAOB). I joined the Buffs when in the RAF. Wherever you found yourself, often on a short term posting, or even week-end assignment, if you could locate a Buff Lodge you were sure of two things. One was a welcome, the second was good priced drinks ;).

I noted the Buff photos (RAOB). I joined the Buffs when in the RAF. Wherever you found yourself, often on a short term posting, or even week-end assignment, if you could locate a Buff Lodge you were sure of two things. One was a welcome, the second was good priced drinks ;).
Rr Can you explain what they do or did , is it like the Rotary ?

It is a form of secret society - a poor man's Freemasonry it was often said. There is a password for entry and you could, I guess be refused admission. Buffs, like Freemasons do not - or are not expected to divulge certain things.
I have not attended a Lodge since 1962 when I started courting, they are a male only preserve. However they are philanthropic and do have social occasions which of course includes the ladies.

Back