• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What went into the dustbin?

dustman in Bimingham..png
In our house was Mom, Dad and three sons, mom cooked all the food as there were no ready meals in those days and the dustbin was rarely, if ever full. After the bin had been emptied and returned to the back garden there was never a scrap of rubbish left anywhere because if the binman dropped anything he would pick it up again.

View attachment 118481
In our house was Mom, Dad and three sons, mom cooked all the food as there were no ready meals in those days and the dustbin was rarely, if ever full. After the bin had been emptied and returned to the back garden there was never a scrap of rubbish left anywhere because if the binman dropped anything he would pick it up again.
What a super picture, was that an electric dustcart? I remember the old green electric dustcarts that used to work out of the refuse department near Witton cemetery. Living on the boundary, we had Birmingham collect our rubbish (yes a tin bath to the dustbin, empty it and carry the tin bath back to the Dustcart. Across the road Sutton Coldfield had brown coloured Shelvoake and Drewery dust carts and carried the dustbin rather like the guy in this picture. The other week we had a note on our unused food caddy, to be sure to put it bags as the dustman did not like handling the loose food. Two thoughts on all these wheelie bins, no longer have to give the dustman a Christmas box and watching the local pensioners struggle with heavy bins, if they were council employees, councils would have done a risk assessment and set out a method statement that would have prevented one person moving a heavy bin up inclines and steps and made it a job for two or three!!! Sorry its the cynic in me. Just off to the local tip with the green rubbish that wont go in my two weekly collected (paid for separately) green rubbish bin.
Bob

View attachment 118481
Back in the day, a very very long time ago ( well 40s/50`s ) my old dad used to call the dustbin a middin. I can still see him now, stark naked except for his donkey jacket, dragging the middin near to the back gate so that the middin men didn`t have to run the gauntlet of our dog.

The dustbin was always know as "The Miskin", There was a thread about the miskin men some time ago.

Birmingham’s WW2 efforts to salvage waste paper saw the appearance of this in Victoria Square (January 1942). Would businesses really be prepared to dispose of their ledgers in this way ? Viv.

D260C741-D508-4A27-BAC4-C2210103623D.jpeg

No doubt much interesting information was lost, but would probably have been lost later anyway unfortunately

Hi Paul,
I lived in Marsh Lane in the police houses and my boyfriend (now exhusband ) lived at the top of Milverton road, whenever we passed the house Kenny was playing the piano
We were a whole gang of teenagers that used to hang out together and Kenny used to be amongst them.

I left Erdington when I got married but my parents moved to Dare Road.
The last time I heard of Kenny was in 'possibly' the late 70s when he went to a party in Sutton at my husbands sisters house, they were Mick and Brenda O'Brien.

Back