• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

Yes of course, on Thursdays my magazine would arrive (Atlantic Road). Completely forgotten that Trident. But yes it was Thursdays ! When I was quite young Harold Hare was delivered, then Look and Learn and later Judy. That’s a blast from the past for me. Used to get very excited at the arrival of the magazines through the letter box. Viv.

A late friend of mine, Ken Fearn, lived in Atlantic road.

Yes, I'm afraid he passed away just over 3 years ago after a period of ill health.
I used to visit Harry and Joan his parents with my father many times and remember the house well.

I attach a picture of Don and his wife Margaret from the late 70's I think. He had two sons.

Sorry to hear that, he hadn't changed much from when he was at school by that photo.

It's strange how things change Dave, when i was at Kingsthorne Junior , the headmaster ( Mr Bullus ) was quite strict, and we did all sit at desks and learn. There was a teacher there called Mr Fryer who used to do things like staple you to a wall if you were misbehaving , he was always in trouble with the parents. I wonder what the school is like now ?
Remember Mr Fryer. Ran the football team.

I lived on Dulwich Road for 25 years and left the midlands 2 years ago. Fascinated with the history of Kingstanding as it is where I grew up.

Might seem like a silly question, but where was Dulwich road infants? Is it what is now called Warren Farm Infants? or was there another one?

Also does anyone know where the Warren Farm Farmhouse actually stood?
I did see one picture of it a few years ago but with no clue to it's actual location and I can't remember which book I found that in.

Thanks
Vikki
The farm house stood at what is now the junction between Charlton Road and Dulwich Road.

A late friend of mine, Ken Fearn, lived in Atlantic road.
ken Fern was a great mate of mine we also worker together and went to Motor racing and ice skating, also John Dunn who lived a few door's away from Ken, I am still in contact with John who I met up with again a few years ago when I was visiting my sister in the UK
The farm house stood at what is now the junction between Charlton Road and Dulwich Road.

So, would the buildings on the right just above centre be the Small Pox Hospital?
Yes. In fact there are two infectious disease hospitals in the photograph. Both on College Road. One is at the corner of College Road and Hawthorn Road, where the Perry Common Library was to be built. This is on the left hand edge of the photo. The other is on the north side of College Road on the right hand side of the photo. This latter one, survived until the 1960's, when it was demolished. This included setting fire to the site to ensure no infectious disease agents survived.

Last edited:
Thank you, and to you.............I believe they both passed in the late 1960's after working for Tufnol basically all of their lives.
Ahh, yes, well before my time. I wasn't born until the late 1960's. I wonder what number they lived at?

Back