• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

I recognised the Gym immediately, I worked for "Fatty Barnfield" the butcher at the top of the square when 14 years old. thanks for posting. Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for your reply, it's great to know that people are still watching this thread, I've only just found this a few days ago so I will be posting some memories in the near future. I remember old Barnfield, he was quite a boozer and I seen him a couple of times in the Castle pub, he would order 2 pints and 2 large whiskeys plus a full bottle of scotch to take out and by the time the barman brought his bottle he had finished his drinks and went off.

Hi folks, just thought I'd mention that as well as being a pupil at Ilmington, my first school was Princethorpe Road Junior and Infants from 1949 to 1955 and I have many fond memories of that school as it was a much nicer place than Ilmo. I'm uploading a couple of photos taken at Princthorpe, the first one is a group photo of my class in 1950 so I'm hoping that some of you will recognize yourselves, I am second row down and 5th from the left. The second photo is me taken just before Christmas 1953. It would be great if any of you have old photos from Princethorpe to share with us.

Attachments

• Princethorpe Road Infants School  about 1951.jpg
    Princethorpe Road Infants School about 1951.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Derek Millward at Princethorpe Rd Junior School1953.JPG
    Derek Millward at Princethorpe Rd Junior School1953.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 23
Hi folks, just thought I'd mention that before I went to Ilmington, my first school was Princethorpe Road Junior and Infants and I have many fond memories of my time there and I'm sure that many of you do too. I'm uploading a couple of photos taken at Princethorpe, the first one is a group photo of my class taken in 1950 or 51 and I am in the second row down and 5th from the left. The lady on the left is Miss Smallwood and the lady on the right I think is Miss Grundy but I'm not sure so if any of you know for sure then please let me know. The second photo is me now in the Juniors at Christmas 1953.

Last edited:
Good Photo's, My sisters went to Princethorpe Road, I went to Our Lady of St Rose Gregory Avenue, we are younger than you. My first job at "Fatty's", on a Saturday Morning after putting out the meat was to take a note to the "Offie", which was at the bottom of the Square facing John Favours. With a note and 10/-, for 2 small bottles of whiskey, which I put under the box's out back, so his wife did't see them, I heard he changed later in life became quite a dark character, but he was always kind to me. Paul

Good Photo's, My sisters went to Princethorpe Road, I went to Our Lady of St Rose Gregory Avenue, we are younger than you. My first job at "Fatty's", on a Saturday Morning after putting out the meat was to take a note to the "Offie", which was at the bottom of the Square facing John Favours. With a note and 10/-, for 2 small bottles of whiskey, which I put under the box's out back, so his wife did't see them, I heard he changed later in life became quite a dark character, but he was always kind to me. Paul
Thanks for that Paul, very interesting, I remember the Offie and me and my friend Peter Sutton went there 2 or 3 times a week to get 2 pints of draft mild beer for his Dad. I never really knew old Barnfield much but he was always polite if you met him out walking, he would tip his hat and say hello. He seemed a nice person but the amount of booze he drank would have a bad effect on anyone. Do you remember Coleman's the pork butchers? I worked there from 1960 to 63 as cutter out the back and helped making the sausage and cooked meats. The boss John Coleman was a really nice bloke and like a friend to me.

I don't know if this anyone is still reading this thread but wondered if anyone remembers my dad - Tony Starling. His family lived in Ilmington Road around 1955 - dad would have been about 16-17 years old then. Thanks Trudie
Hi Trudie, I only just found this site a few days ago and I do remember your Dad but he was a few years older than me so don't remember much about him. However I spoke to my sister on the phone yesterday and she remembers him quite well as she is 3 years older than me and she said that he was very handsome and that she had a schoolgirl crush on him but he was older than her so he probably never knew. He might remember her though as she was quite good looking and a red head. Her name at the time was Sylvia Millward and we lived in Ackleton Grove that runs off Ilminghton Road. Sylvia wanted to know if your Dad was still alive.

HI Derek, I am 73 now and left Weoley Castle in 1962, so don't remember too much, I remember the other butcher, but not well I am afraid, I hear the Raven has gone now, I did visit Ilmington back in the early 90's but it was a hole in the ground , only the front railings remained, I suppose it is a housing development now, Did you know Colin Cave, or Mick Whitehouse ?, I lived in Milcote Road, so I would have memories of that immediate area.wish you well. Paul

Just joined the forum. Didn't realise it existed. I was pupil at Ilmington Road School mid 40's. Head master Mr Puddiphat, he was a tyrant. Science teacher Jennings and Wynn wonderful art teacher, he used to paint his students at lunch time, great guy. Now I've found the site I will try and keep in touch.

Hi Paul, yes I did Know Colin Cave, he is the same age as me (76) and he was in my class at Princethorpe and I think that might be him top row first on the left in the school photo I posted. I think he lived in Quarry Road a few doors from the school gates. Not sure about Mick Whitehouse but the name rings a bell. In 1964 I moved away from Weoley Castle but did visit quite often as my Mom lived there in Ackleton Grove until she passed away in 1984 and my sister still lives in the area. Like you said that you lived in Milcote Road and new the people in the immediate area, most of the people I know lived either in Ackleton Grove or Ilmington Road.

Just joined the forum. Didn't realise it existed. I was pupil at Ilmington Road School mid 40's. Head master Mr Puddiphat, he was a tyrant. Science teacher Jennings and Wynn wonderful art teacher, he used to paint his students at lunch time, great guy. Now I've found the site I will try and keep in touch.
Hi Nipton, welcome to the site, I only found this a few days ago so we are both new. You must be a few years older than me but you might know my brother Ken who was at Ilmington in the mid 40's. I also remember the teachers you mention and I was In Mr Jennings class in the science room for my last 2 years at school. You may remember Mr Guest, I was in his class in my second year but it was away from the main school and was on the Square. He was getting on a bit and had served in the Navy during the first world war and he often would spend a whole lesson telling us of his exploits.

Not sure about Ken. I'm into my 80's. I was trying to remember my class teacher and it came to me over the weekend Mr Frank Marsh, fantastic story teller on most Friday afternoons towards end of day. I was in 4.2 couldn't quite manage 4.1. In those days our class size was in the lower end of 40. Can't place Mr Guest, sorry, he sounded quite a charactor. I lived in Stonehouse and because I was not keen on school meals (who was) I used to run all the way back home for a sandwich. Must have been fit in those days. Take care with this dreaded virus

Ken is 85 but left in his second year to go to Handsworth Tech. You must have been really fit to run to Stonehouse and back for lunch you should have entered for the Olympics lol.

I didn't realise until I failed my National Service I had a weak heart, and yet I loved my sport Football, Cricket, Badminton etc. oh well, life goes on. At least my mind is still active. Keep safe Derek

Last edited:
I didn't realise until I failed my National Service I had a weak heart, and yet I loved my sport Football, Cricket, Badminton etc. oh well, life goes on. At least my mind is still active. Keep safe Derek
Sorry to hear about your heart but at least it kept ticking for you into your 80's and hopefully will do for many years to come.

Well hello , I just came across this thread again, I think I actually started the Ilmington Rd thread back in 2009 but not kept up to date on it so it's interesting to see some new posts are still being added.

Vic

My term at Ilmington Road would be 1946-1951 finished in class 4.2. I can remember Lipton (who bullied me) Wilkes and David Smith, memory fades after that

Hi Trudie, I only just found this site a few days ago and I do remember your Dad but he was a few years older than me so don't remember much about him. However I spoke to my sister on the phone yesterday and she remembers him quite well as she is 3 years older than me and she said that he was very handsome and that she had a schoolgirl crush on him but he was older than her so he probably never knew. He might remember her though as she was quite good looking and a red head. Her name at the time was Sylvia Millward and we lived in Ackleton Grove that runs off Ilminghton Road. Sylvia wanted to know if your Dad was still alive.
Hi, so sorry not to get back to you, I haven't logged on for a while! Thank you for your reply, how lovely that you and your sister do remember my dad. Sadly dad died in January 2007 after a short illness. He worked at Cadbury's very briefly (although it was always our families claim to fame!!) then did an apprenticeship at Bellis and Morcom before joining the Merchant Navy. He moved to Cambridgeshire after and married mum.

Hi. I’ve just come across this thread and was hoping that someone may have memories of my parents who went to both Princethorpe Rd and Ilmington Road schools in the 40s/50s. My Mum was Sylvia Eden, from Copston Grove, born 1937, and had a younger sister Christine. My Dad was Anthony Nightingale from Jervoise Road, again born 1937. Both have now sadly passed but if anyone can remember them I’d love to hear about it!
Many Thanks

Back