• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tram terminus at Saltley

1586180071775.png

Phil posted this Then and Now photo in August 2014.

There are posts in this thread which suggests the Carlton became The coliseum.

Was the Carlton at the bottom of DEVON ST.Looks like Saltley Rd
At the corner of Saltley Road and Nechells Place at Saltley Viaduct.
Opened July 1900 the Theatre had a change of name in November 1910 to the Coliseum Theatre,

Rob,don't know why I remember but as kids we used to pick up a type of Leather ring about 6-7 inches across and scim them down Saltley Rd

This postcard image is quite detailed, showing Saltley Road and the steam tram terminus where the track formed a loop around the junction with Nechells Place. The railway bridge in the back ground is the line from Duddeston to Aston. It would have been London & North Western Railway then. Nelson and Co had widened the railway between Aston & Duddeston between 1889 and 1890, so the bridge would still be fairly new.

Heartland in the photograph you can see some window blinds,must be on the c corner of Cato St North.After the 2nd World war my Uncle Joey had a green grocers shop on the corner and opposite next to the pub across the road on the corner of Cato St my other uncle opened RTPCrisps.Remember it as the Coliseum but as a shell.Think it was bombed in the war

Steam trams were required to "consume their own smoke & steam" whilst traversing the streets. Smoke was almost eliminated by burning coke (a 'smokeless' fuel), and the device on the locomotive roof is a condenser to turn the used steam back to water.
Incidentally, revisiting the original photo I notice poles in the background ready to hold the traction power wiring for electric trams, so this must be almost at the end of steam operation on this route.

Back