• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Granville Street Ladywood

Aerial photo (date 1935) of Granville Street from Broad Street (bottom left) to the Canal Bridge. Courtyards visible either side of the street.
GranvilleSt1935.jpg
source 'britainfromabove'. Click the pic once, then click magnify icon to enlarge and scroll ... To save the pic, click once and then right click and save-as

Last edited:
Don't know a lot , l can remember mum taking taking me to visit auntie May ( Isabella ) who lived in a beautiful house in Mosley with her second husband. Rupert her first husband had passed away, then she lost her second husband , after that auntie May became ill and went into Rubery hospital, l went with mom to visit her there but really don't know what happened after that, Auntie May didn't have any children.
George went to live in Telford, l think he passed away in the late sixties, Albert and George worked for the post office, Albert lived in Kingstanding . I don't know a great deal , Les would would have known a lot more but l was so young.

From what I've heard or searched about since I enquired - May (Isabella) married a man called Arthur Matthews first and lived in Balsall Heath (near Moseley) and worked as a barmaid and after her husband passed away she married again to Raymond Sallis. She passed away in 1966.

George married his first wife Ethel in Devon but she passed away in 1933 in her early 30's and had a son Albert who passed away in 1960 in his 30's. He re-married to a woman called Edith 1934 in Winchester (Hampshire) and moved to Birmingham with her and had a daughter called Audrey who passed within months of her birth. He lived in Dyas Road in Kingstanding for many years and must have moved to Telford after a while like you said. He passed away in 1982 in Birmingham.

Albert married his wife Alice Reeves in 1935 and had three children Kenneth, Roy (passed away young) and David. He also lived in Kingstanding and worked as a Temporary Postman (Electric Joiner by Trade) and passed away in 1977.

William "Bill/Billy" (my great-grandfather) married Florence "Floss" Jones in 1933 and had two children Albert and Sheila. They lived in William Street for many years before moving to King's Norton for a few years and then returning nearer the area in Lee Bank (Edgbaston) before he passed away in 1972. Floss passed away in 1993 and his daughter Sheila passed away in 1994 and his son Albert (my grandfather) passed away in 2005. My granddad Albert met your brother Leslie (I mentioned this in a previous post).

Charles "Charlie" married his wife Charlotte in 1935 and had three children Brian (passed away in 1998), Shirley and John. He lived near Birmingham City Centre for a few years before moving to Aston. He passed away in 1991.

Unfortunately I do not know much about Leonard other than that he married Mary (May) in 1962 as she was his second wife I think. I think he passed away in 1985 and that he lived in Ward End or thereabouts.

Didn't know George moved back to Birmingham, because mom and l visited him in hospital in Talford
where he was very ill, l presumed he had passed away then,when did Edith pass away..Goodness me how old was Floss when she passed away. Yes Len lived in Ward End with May .

Didn't know George moved back to Birmingham, because mom and l visited him in hospital in Talford
where he was very ill, l presumed he had passed away then,when did Edith pass away..Goodness me how old was Floss when she passed away. Yes Len lived in Ward End with May .
George might have just passed away in Birmingham he might still have lived in Telford - maybe he was moved hospitals but maybe his health improved for a short while as his wife Edith also passed away in Birmingham in 1983. Floss was 81 when she passed away.

Hi everyone, I've just registered witn Birminghamhistory.
Does anyone remember the Bridge Tavern (Inn) Pub at 128 Granville Street?
My mother's family used to run it - called Pagett.
I can trace them at that address, but when I go back earlier, there is only another Pagett family at 45 Granville Street.
I'm trying to ascertain whether they are related. Any memories gratefully appreciated :)
Thanks,
Mike.

As the pub at 128 Granville St seems to have disappeared around 1935, I think it unlikely that anyone will remember it. What period of time are you referring to?

There was a pub in Granville Street when I worked there in the late 1950s, on the right a hundred yards or so, maybe more, down from the Tennant Street turn, I don't know what it was called, I'm not a pub goer.

Looking at Street View, this appears to be the oldest building in Granville Street. I cannot tell if it is 128 but it is in the correct area, looks like it might have been a pub and is near the canal bridge. Don't know if any of this helps.
1586173492148.png

There was a pub in Granville Street when I worked there in the late 1950s, on the right a hundred yards or so, maybe more, down from the Tennant Street turn, I don't know what it was called, I'm not a pub goer.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for tyour message Eric.
If it's 100 yards, then it's probably not the Bridge Inn. I saw another pub marked on an old map in about the position you mentioned. However, the canal is quite a bit further on from the Tennant Street turn and I think this is where the Bridge Inn was. Thanks though :)
Mike.

Last edited:
Looking at Street View, this appears to be the oldest building in Granville Street. I cannot tell if it is 128 but it is in the correct area, looks like it might have been a pub and is near the canal bridge. Don't know if any of this helps.
View attachment 143825
Hi David,
Thanks for your reply.
I think this is the area, but not sure if that building was ever a pub. Thanks for the info.
Mike.

As the pub at 128 Granville St seems to have disappeared around 1935, I think it unlikely that anyone will remember it. What period of time are you referring to?

Hi Mikejee,
Thanks for your reply.
I was looking at any period really. I hadn't realised that the pub disappeared around 1935. Thanks for the information :)
Mike.

Eric I reckon that would have been The Glassmakers Arms cnr Holiday St/Granville St . I lived in William St 1955-69 The Bridgepub was,nt there when I was there

I've just had a wander around the area on Google Earth, the garage I worked at was about where the Lee Longland car park is now or maybe where the adjacent tall buildings are.

I see the Granville is still there but now called O'Neal's.

Not much else remains as how I remember it, Watson's Broad Street showroom back entrance in Tennant Street appears to be a multi storey car park.

I've often walked along Granville Street on my way into work & it's really interesting finding out about the older buildings that still remain.

As for the canal bridge, I took these pictures from the bridge a couple of years ago. What a difference between the two - one towards the Mailbox, the other away from it!20200408_164606.jpg20200408_164630.jpg

A passageway off Granville Street in 1965. Viv.

View attachment 150744

Viv the amount of time's I've walked up that entry to call on my mate , first house when you got out of the entry . It was a very high entry, great for hide and seek walk crab style up the wall and hold yourself up by one leg on each wall . Good old days . I seem to recall something reported in the mail years ago about this entry saying that if ever there was a fire in one of the houses people would be trapped trying to get out using the entry.

Dont know how many people lived there, but I can see if just a handful of people in a state of panic gathered in the alleyway, it would be a problem. Viv.

Aerial view (date 1935) in which Granville Street (from Broad Street to the Canal) can be seen.
GranvilleSt.jpg
Red arrow on Broad Street points at Granville Street. Click the pic a few times .. it enlarges and can scroll.

i was told years ago that a documentary was made probably during the 60s about the living conditions in the ladywood area and many of the residents featured in it...alas i have never been able to track it down

lyn

thanks pete that could well be the one... i was told some of my rellies appeared in a docu about ladywood...i will try and track it down

lyn

Back