• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Address number conversion Stirchley

Mike
Sorry I should have said that in 1921, and presumably after, 1825 and 1823 were a combined site occupied by Percy Cowley, beer retailer. however in 1915 and before they were two separate addresses with Walter Flavell in 142 and (in 1915) beer retailer Clara Moorfield in 144. So I missed out half the building. Though it looks from the first picture that the off licence possibly owned both buildings (from the fact that their advert is plastered over most of both), though presumably the other half was still occupied by Mr Flavell

Mike,
Found this old thread - wonder if it is still active - and if you still have your address conversion spreadsheet to hand? My wife Lucy, our family historian, is presently trying to find the location on the Pershore Road, we think, of "204 Stirchley Street", where her great grandfather Henry Snipe is recorded in the 1911 census. I can access 1:1250 scale mapping on the Old Maps website showing the modern numbering of Pershore Road.
Bill

Sorry for delay in replying. Saw your post yesterday and was going to reply last night, but it slipped my mind. The electoral roll fro 1912 also lists Henry, though they refer to it as 204 Pershore Road, Stirchley.. This corresponds to 1487 Pershore road, where, in the electoral roll, there are two Hebert snipes (presumably father and son)

Thanks for the very swift response - Lucy is now happy! Herbert was Henry's son and took over the house when Henry died in 1920 - along with Herbert's son, also Herbert.
Thanks again. Bill

My Edwin Withers, rope manufacturer, left in his Will a property at Icneild Street Numbers 156-158 occupied by "Mousely Bolton Clewly Hyde". Any ideas who they were? Sounds like a legal firm, but could be something else.
Any images?
Thank you

When was this?. As far as I can see 156 and 158 have always been separate businesses, and so the people concerned are probably the buildings owners, rather than necessarily the occupiers

Last edited:
In 1870 Edwin Withers advertised two established retail shops, one a Butchers, to Let. Apply 393, Farm St.

Back