• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Girls used to wear tights over their knickers in those days didn't they Lyn. Difficult to throw their Knickers spontaneously.
;)

they did elmdon boy but the throwing of the knickers was premeditated...girls would take a pair in their handbags then get them out and chuck them :D

lyn

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)

Gary Owens club in Small Heath, past the park on Cov road turn right. Played there a lot on Fridays in the early 1950s with my band. Got a little rough at times, the Old Bill there sometimes to calm things down. But lots of fun enjoyed it a lot.

Some others that I recall that do not appear to have been mentioned were Rebeccas, Garryowen, Dolls Club, Cascade, Delmonica, Gaylords, Castaway, Maximillians, Faces, Peppermint Place, Rum Runner, Opposite Lock, Bobby Browns, Dolce Vita, The Chase, The Nightingale, Raffles, The Night Out, The Harp. I can't remember the name of the one that was next to Villa Park.

Hi am replying to Has anyone any memories of Birmingham nightlife!!Well here goes back in early 70s i lived in Croydon and was invited by the manager of a club in Croydon where I worked to go to Birmingham but use my car a ford zephyr mk4 we went to the opposite Lock Nightclub so named due to owner Martin Hones racing car obsession I believe. We were wined and dined very well and saw that night johnny Nash... I can see clearly now and a legend Ella Fitzgerald never will I forget that . We later went upstairs to the VIP area I remember it being all white marble and very swish and playing piano in the bar was the as yet undiscovered Gilbert o Sullivan ... Yes it was an experience and never to be forgotten I know its gone now but only last year I went to Gas Street in my Narrowboat and boy has it changed not that I remember that well it was awhile ago but yes fond memories and im happy to share them thanks from dave M

It was called The Opposite Lock and later became Bobby Browns. Some others that I recall that do not appear to have been mentioned were Rebeccas, Garryowen, Dolls Club, Cascade, Delmonica, Gaylords, Castaway, Maximillians, Faces, Peppermint Place, Rum Runner, Dolce Vita, The Chase, The Nightingale, Raffles, The Night Out, The Harp. I can't remember the name of the one that was next to Villa Park. The Rum Rummer was where Duran Duran started.

I used to go to the Plaza on Rookery Rd. I remember when it was a cinema then got converted to a dance hall.
Not quite the same but we used to take the jazz boats from Liverpool to the Isle of Man and back. A large group would leave Snow Hill on the train (with a lot of beer) to Liverpool. The jazz boats usually had 5 or 6 bands and plenty of beer. We would get back to Snow Hill very late in the evening or maybe early morning!

Back