• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dunlop

Land marker, 'this belongs too' or entrance sign. Is it by the West/East drive entrance?

I'm amazed it's still there when the rest has gone. That concrete and tarmac are newer, so workers have worked around it at some point.
I did try to remove it but it was absolutely solid in the ground and it wouldn't budge :(

Hi,
My great nan worked in Dunlop rubber factory around 1916. Her name was Lillian Turner and was 15 when she worked there.
She lived in Aston, looking to find anyone who may have heard her name told by family members or may know anyone who knew her or worked with her

Dunlop purchased the Erdington factory site in 1916. They previously had the Para Mills and the Manor Mills at Aston. It is more likely that the lady worked at one of those establishments. Work then would have been concentrated on the war effort,

My first job was in the Technical Dept at Fort Dunlop in 1958. It was very boring for a 16 year old recording tyre failures for all the overseas factories, but essential in order to immediately stop production if a fault was spotted in the early stages. Excellent company which gave me part time day release education to enable me to get qualifications to move to chosen career later. I was also given a pair of Dunlop no. 2 cycle racing tubular tyres, allegedly to test, but on-one ever asked me for a report. Some ex Technical Dept employees used to meet for lunch four times a year pre Covid.

Last edited:
I am researching Birmingham's Works sports clubs and trying to locate where the archive of these Dunlop in house magazines are held. Help please! Does anyone own any?
Many thanks, Jean
Hi my dad and mom used two run the club from 1976 two 1981 bunny cross Dunlop’s club we loved it as kids so fun times

Does anyone know if there was a fishing club st Dunlop between the wars? My grandfather won prizes for fishing but not sure if he did this through work. Thanks

0_Phyllis-Nicklin_14.jpg

October 13, 1968

This photo was taken by Phyllis Nicklin. Who took hundreds of photos during the 50's and 60's and they was recently discovered at the University of Birmingham.

I lived on the road just behind this photo during the 70's and was 5 at the time. I used to walk down the hill towards the shop or to play under the motorway. Every time I used to stare at the Dunlop building in amazement and awe. Not only the size, but also the name and used to read the it over and over.

I'm not surprised that someone thought it was worth taking a photo.

Good old Chipperfield Road,( i lived in Millinghton) on a Sunday Dad and I used to walk along the side of that house picking Blackcurrants so Mom could make a Pie, there were yards of Blackcurrant bushes there. And my Grandad used to live in that flat cant remember the name of it now

Dunlop published a commemorative book in 1920, "The Development of a Great Industry - 1888 to 1920"
It contains 62 pages of photographs showing their overseas plantations which employed 11,000 people and one of the plantations completed in 1918 covered 6,700 acres; their London Office, cotton mills in Lancashire where more than 1,400 people were employed, Aston Cross office and Para Mills, Manor Mills in Aston, the wire and wheel factory in Alma Street, Coventry, and Fort Dunlop, which covered 80 acres and was still under construction in 1920.
PA739

I worked at Dunlop`s from 1974-1976 and I worked with a great bunch of blokes it was a shame that I didn`t like the shifts and we worked in CID Central Inspection Department and they used to call it Butlins Holiday Camp for some unknown reason ( I can`t think of a reason why :joy::joy: ) It was the only place I have ever worked for where you could get a Pint of Ansells with a bag of chips at dinner break at 1.00 in the Morning and we use to enter all the inter department Sports Football,Cricket,Bowls,Darts,Snooker even Fishing at Evesham and Fishing inter Factory at Edgbaston Reservoir and we used the Sports club for many years.Although I don`t remember meeting them I do remember the name Bunny who run the Club and I do remember Matthew who was the son of the previous club managers.

I worked at Dunlop`s from 1974-1976 and I worked with a great bunch of blokes it was a shame that I didn`t like the shifts and we worked in CID Central Inspection Department and they used to call it Butlins Holiday Camp for some unknown reason ( I can`t think of a reason why :joy::joy: ) It was the only place I have ever worked for where you could get a Pint of Ansells with a bag of chips at dinner break at 1.00 in the Morning and we use to enter all the inter department Sports Football,Cricket,Bowls,Darts,Snooker even Fishing at Evesham and Fishing inter Factory at Edgbaston Reservoir and we used the Sports club for many years.Although I don`t remember meeting them I do remember the name Bunny who run the Club and I do remember Matthew who was the son of the previous club managers.
I doubt we'll see the likes of that again!

Hi, do you remember a young Brazilian called Keith Buswell, my Dad? He worked there in the 1960s on the tyre factory floor. Also my grandfather, Cal Callender, worked for Dunlop most of his life but in management I think. Would be grateful for any info you may have! Many thanks, Alison Buswell

Hello Alison, I am sorry to disappoint you but I did not know your Father nor did I know your Grandfather I worked there in the Mid 70`s Best Wishes and I wish you luck with your search Alison.

Great history of Dunlop developing on this thread. Thought this might be of interest. Envelope with the Dunlop logo (1932) and letter sent to my grandmother who used to work in the typing pool at Dunlop. She left when she got married and evidently sent some wedding cake to her colleagues.

Attachments

• 1932 envelope dunlop.jpg
    1932 envelope dunlop.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1932 letter to my grandmother Dunlop.jpg
    1932 letter to my grandmother Dunlop.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 18
Great history of Dunlop developing on this thread. Thought this might be of interest. Envelope with the Dunlop logo (1932) and letter sent to my grandmother who used to work in the typing pool at Dunlop. She left when she got married and evidently sent some wedding cake to her colleagues.
What a nice piece of history and I was interested to see the address where your Grandmother lived Everton Road just of Cottrells Lane I wonder what she would think now if she saw the changing area with the new buildings in Stechford and the address also brings back memories around the old Pelham Pub and the Capital Cinema may we never lose letters like the one you have to your Grandmother as they are history in themselves.

What a nice piece of history and I was interested to see the address where your Grandmother lived Everton Road just of Cottrells Lane I wonder what she would think now if she saw the changing area with the new buildings in Stechford and the address also brings back memories around the old Pelham Pub and the Capital Cinema may we never lose letters like the one you have to your Grandmother as they are history in themselves.
Yes I love those little bits of history. Thanks for your comments, they enabled me to connect this postcard in my box of photos to her story. I wonder if she and my grandad used to go there when they were courting.

Attachments

• The Pelham Arms, Alum Rock.jpg
    The Pelham Arms, Alum Rock.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
I doubt we'll see the likes of that again!
Hi my dad ran the club from 1975 two 1980 as kids we had so much fun wot a garden we had the Dunlop playing fields it was massive I wish I can turn the clock back and grounds man mr stone house we played him up rotten

I came across this photo of my Gran and her friend Wynne. I am wondering if this might have been taken at Dunlop as they both worked in the typing pool there. Does anyone recognise this building?

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_0002.jpg
    IMG_20210917_0002.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hello I am looking for some info on Dunlop in 1921. My 2x great grandfather worked at Dunlop and so did some of his children. With the 1921 census just released, it shows that all 5 family members who worked at Dunlop says 'out of work'
but I cant seem to find any information online which would say why all 5 employees are out of work. I know the construction was started in 1916 and completed in 1920 but then after that it just events though out Dunlop's lifespan.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Hannah

Back