• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler Street lozells

Try entering the names in the search box. you should bring up photos of most of those . Do you mean a George Street in Preston? If so then you would not expect to find a photo on this site

This is RJR transports garage. The corner of gower and wheeler street

Attachments

• 044F8690-712B-4177-91FE-081088AD38F1.png
    044F8690-712B-4177-91FE-081088AD38F1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
bringing this thread to the top for any members who have an interest who has not seen the wonderful photos we have taken before demo

lyn

bringing this thread to the top for any members who have an interest who has not seen the wonderful photos we have taken before demo

lyn
Hi Lyn, sorry to be a pain but I'm getting the images together for Wheeler Street (found 46 so far), could you have a look if you have copies of these 3 without the water-mark, thank-you.

Attachments

• img179.jpg
    img179.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 40
  • wheelerst2.jpg
    wheelerst2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 39
  • acorn20pub20wheeler20st-1_zpsaa39dbfb.jpg
    acorn20pub20wheeler20st-1_zpsaa39dbfb.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 39
I think these are what you want

Attachments

• acorn wheeler st.jpg
    acorn wheeler st.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 30
  • WheelerSt.jpg
    WheelerSt.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 28
  • 7 Newtown Gerrard St - Wheeler St.jpg
    7 Newtown Gerrard St - Wheeler St.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 27
The location of these 2 images has defeated me, I have put 440 images onto the interactive map so far and always managed to identify the location, mainly using the old maps website and Britain from above.
The image showing a row of 4 houses (court or back houses) was always going to be a problem, when I started collecting images for Wheeler Street I completely underestimated the length of and number of houses in this street.
The image showing the 3 houses seems to indicate that they are wedged between a factory on each side.
I'm posting these in the hope that at some stage (now or in the future) someone will recognise the locations.

Attachments

• wheeler-st44u.jpg
    wheeler-st44u.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 25
  • wheeler-st45u.jpg
    wheeler-st45u.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 26
This was my 'best guess' for the 3 houses but unfortunately the Britain from above map is not very clear at this point on Wheeler Street. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Image59.jpg
    Image59.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 19
Could somebody kindly answer a query I have, if the white building is the Congregational Church then what is the building on the extreme right of the image? It appears to have been demolished on the later colour image.

Attachments

• wheeler-st7.jpg
    wheeler-st7.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 21
  • wheeler-st37.jpg
    wheeler-st37.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 21
i thought it was the cong churc to the far right john...will have to do some digging around on this one...i have these 2 that i thought was the cong church under demo with lozells road running across...maybe a map or kellys look up will helpPHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 008.JPG

Attachments

• PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 005.JPG
    PHILLIP ST..RETREAT..WHEELER 005.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 22
i thought it was the cong churc to the far right john...will have to do some digging around on this one...i have these 2 that i thought was the cong church under demo with lozells road running across...maybe a map or kellys look up will helpView attachment 158407
Thanks Lyn, I have this map but the images I posted look more like the Sunday School than the church.

Attachments

• congregational-church.jpg
    congregational-church.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 12
yes i agree john yours are the sunday school and my photos are deffo the cong church under demo

lyn
Thanks Lyn, I just wanted to be sure of the facts as I didn't know that area at all. I've had a good day today I've just managed to identify the location for one of the images in post #249, it would be an impossible task without those superb aerial images on the britain from above website. The quality amazes me considering the size of the equipment and the conditions they were under when they took them, plus when they took them they would have had no idea if they were sharp and exposed correctly. We are so spoilt by digital images nowadays.

oh well done john you are doing an amazing job...sad to say i just would not have the patience lol...keep up the good work

lyn

Could some kind person do a Kelly's directory look up for Crabtrees @ No. 253 and the business at No. 255 Wheeler Street please. I have checked 1955, 1964 & 1967/8 but think it must be a later date which I don't have.

Its county refrigeration at 253 in 1969, 71, 72 and 73. No 255 is Wheelers cafe in 1969, but not listed in other years

Could some kind person do a Kelly's directory look up for Crabtrees @ No. 253 and the business at No. 255 Wheeler Street please. I have checked 1955, 1964 & 1967/8 but think it must be a later date which I don't have.
take it you have the photo of crabtrees john

lyn

Back