• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Good music to listen to on U Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sound on You Tube is rubbish. The sound on platforms like Spotify is awful, even if you pay for the slightly enhanced sound via premium service. MP3 files are compressed to the point that they sound like you are listening to something in another room.
Up until recently the only digital files I would accept are WAV see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
which are uncompressed and offer sound equal to CDs. Of course I have to feed these files through a DAC to recapture the
warmth of vinyl - or indeed, the sound in the studio if you were fortunate enough to sit in during the recording session.
Now though we have Hi-Res audio through sites such as https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/shop
which make a CD sound pretty ordinary.
Of course, these have to go through the aforementioned DAC which is either built into a half decent integrated amplifier or a separate unit by the likes of https://cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/hi-fi/dac
Believe me, if you listen to music like this it can almost sound like the band are playing in your living room.
END OF NERD ITEM
[/QUOTE]
I tend to agree with your comment and I have to admit being a "nerd" as far as technology goes but I do find that You Tube is an absolutely wonderful resource for discovering music. Once discovered and enjoyed it's great to then to follow it up and see the artist in concert if possible. I was led to a performance by Joe Brown, not a performer I would naturally be drawn to, but I enjoyed it very much hence my decision to book tickets to see him in concert next Thursday in Darlington.
I've tried to download the you tube clip but unsuccessfully,sorry, but have a look at him singing "I'll see you in my Dreams"
a song my Dad used to sing. I enjoyed it and you may too.
I'll let you know how he sounds "live" after Thursday.

Messed this post up big time, sorry. Third time I've edited it! Perhaps it's best to comment before we open the red wine!

Last edited:
I typed my notes within the Nerd header and footer so that it could all be taken a bit tongue-in-cheek. However, this is how I listen to music and, yes, I am a bit nerdy about it. I was only responding to Nico who typed “I can't get a decent sound on You Tube” and trying to explain a little about the different bit rates. So compared to WAV the sound on You Tube cannot possibly offer the same listening experience.
Fair enough...not good to argue with friends on BHF. However, if I could recommend an instant improvement in sound quality, a DAC which (as you know) is a Digital to Analog Converter, is available in many forms and prices. A Dragonfly USB plug in will give a big difference in sound. I have the black one, which is entry level and well worth having at $100US. Even if your hearing has deteriorated, you WILL notice the difference.
Dave A

The sound on You Tube is rubbish. The sound on platforms like Spotify is awful, even if you pay for the slightly enhanced sound via premium service. MP3 files are compressed to the point that they sound like you are listening to something in another room.
Up until recently the only digital files I would accept are WAV see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
which are uncompressed and offer sound equal to CDs. Of course I have to feed these files through a DAC to recapture the
warmth of vinyl - or indeed, the sound in the studio if you were fortunate enough to sit in during the recording session.
Now though we have Hi-Res audio through sites such as https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/shop
Of course, these have to go through the aforementioned DAC which is either built into a half decent integrated amplifier or a separate unit by the likes of https://cambridgeaudio.com/en/products/hi-fi/dac
Believe me, if you listen to music like this it can almost sound like the band are playing in your living room.
END OF NERD ITEM
I tend to agree with your comment and I have to admit being a "nerd" as far as technology goes but I do find that You Tube is an absolutely wonderful resource for discovering music. Once discovered and enjoyed it's great to then to follow it up and see the artist in concert if possible. I was led to a performance by Joe Brown, not a performer I would naturally be drawn to, but I enjoyed it very much hence my decision to book tickets to see him in concert next Thursday in Darlington.
I've tried to download the you tube clip but unsuccessfully,sorry, but have a look at him singing "I'll see you in my Dreams"
a song my Dad used to sing. I enjoyed it and you may too.
I'll let you know how he sounds "live" after Thursday.

Messed this post up big time, sorry. Third time I've edited it! Perhaps it's best to comment before we open the red wine!
[/QUOTE]

There are videos to show how to download stuff legally. Here's one :

I like the "nerd alert" however, talking about sound reproduction is such a subjective topic, it's almost like discussing politics or religion. I don't consider myself to be a nerd of any kind, but I do have a "good ear" when listening to music, albeit, not as good as it used to be. I don't have a problem with YouTube or subsequent MP3 sound. I am fortunate enough to have a basement that is dedicated to listening to music, c/w a decent sound system, that can make most recordings very listenable. I make live music recordings too using WAV files, which as you mentioned, are like CD quality. My main point is that most people cannot tell the difference between file formats, and is not about capability or intelligence, just about the hearing process. So, when you say that the sound on YouTube is rubbish, this is a personal position that is not shared universally.

Dave A
Maybe what you listen on is better than what I listen on. It is not terrible but not as I said, as good as vinyl or live.
I can't get it loud enough. Maybe I am going roast beef? I can tell that the piano is out of tune and when my guitar is. I edit every time, several times. My fingers can't keep up with my brain.

I found people like grands and baby grands, any instrument sometimes and trumpet windup gramaphones. if people have the room because they look stylish from a bygone age. My mate has a pianola that was in his dad's family. I gave him mum's antimacassar which he put on it, it's black and tasselled and embroidered in dark strong silks which matches the pianola, with it's built in candlesticks, I think it looks great. Good luck if you can sell yours.

My friend has a baby grand in her front room, her father bought it for her when she was about fifteen, she's eighty three now.

She much preferred to play the church organ and did so for many many years, a fine musician.

END OF NERD ITEM

I find the sound ok.i listen to a lot of music.videos on youtube.the pics are sometimes a bit naff though but its free.

Last edited:
I was talking to the lady mentioned in my previous post yesterday, she said when she was learning to play the piano she would learn the piece by heart then when her dad came home she would play it for him in the dark.
There were always pauses in her play, when dad asked her what the pause was for she said "I'm turning the page." :)

Not sure if anyone here likes the music of Black Sabbath...but they are from Brum and Tony Iommi himself posted this UT video on Facebook. Amazing that this guy from Scotland covers every riff from their repertoire, enjoy if you can.
Dave A

having a love affair feel good moment at the min:rolleyes:....timeless music and steve ellis is still going strong...2 of my favourites here...what voice...happy carefree days when all we wanted to do was dance and have fun...great memories

having a love affair feel good moment at the min:rolleyes:....timeless music and steve ellis is still going strong...2 of my favourites here...what voice...happy carefree days when all we wanted to do was dance and have fun...great memories

brill lyn at least then you could under stand what they were singing

well pete i cant believe i used to dance like that :eek: all that arm waving...having said that good exercise dont need to move the legs much:grinning:...will sort a few more feel good songs out.. and members please add your own choices

lyn

have to admit had i been born a couple of years earlier i would be able to live this life..envy anyone who did...more like an old age traveller now :grinning: :grinning:

i was a hippy on a motor bike.:laughing:carefree. and happy.just like peter fonda in easy rider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back