• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I just liked the sound of it, Nan tried to sell it to me. Like prunes. Bowl openers and cows' turd. (Custard). Yeller fillet finny hadock. Smoked haddock.And I could choose how she did the carrotts and parsnips for the stew, grated which tasted stronger, or in chunks. She made a poor meal sound a treat. I still like simple things. But I just like food. Dad's family were very poor, they lost their dad in his 50's. Gran told dad he didn't like this and that, he was vegetarian when he met mum.

.......... as were many rural Cretans. The Cretan longevity diet was very much due to the fact that they didn't have the money to buy meat, so existed on horta (wild greens that they gathered from anywhere and still do), oranges & lemons (which grow in abundance), olives and olive oil (they grow their own), numerous herbs (such as sage, thyme, oregano which all grows wild), potatoes, tomatoes, and all that sort of thing. Beef is imported because there is insufficient rain in the summer to sustain cattle, and thus is expensive as is fish despite that we are surrounded by water.

Maurice :cool:

Love Greek food. Only went once, fantastic people though and Cyprus. In Greece I noticed smallholdings in a wooded area with tethered dairy cows that looked like Jerseys. A few sheep chickens and goats.
I liked moussaka stifado and afelia is it?
The little restaurant I frequented in Amethus gave you complimentary nibbles with your drink, and grapes after your dinner and small pieces of cake if you ordered coffee. I forgot and got a mouthful of coffee sludge! They thought I was Ian Rush, don't know why!
I went out in the midday sun, mistake. Everywhere was closed, I wanted some water, a lady said she wasn't open but opened up to give me some and an old chap at restaurant gave me a glass of orange juice, saying I can't charge you because we are not open. Just come back and eat when we are.
They did like British cigarettes but I didn't smoke.

.......... as were many rural Cretans. The Cretan longevity diet was very much due to the fact that they didn't have the money to buy meat, so existed on horta (wild greens that they gathered from anywhere and still do), oranges & lemons (which grow in abundance), olives and olive oil (they grow their own), numerous herbs (such as sage, thyme, oregano which all grows wild), potatoes, tomatoes, and all that sort of thing. Beef is imported because there is insufficient rain in the summer to sustain cattle, and thus is expensive as is fish despite that we are surrounded by water.

I had a Stiffado in Corfu, very enjoyable, also lamb chops though i suspect they were goats but still very nice. Taramasalata was horrible. Squid should be thrown back to the sea.

Well as I only ever eat fish or chicken, I couldn't possibly comment on the goodness or otherwise of meat dishes. However, my other half, Jan, is a carnivore and will frequenly have stifado, lamb chops. and sometimes moussaka and seems quite happy with all three. I've never come across goat chops, Smudger, as goat is generally served boiled or as a stew. The juice from the boiled goat is very often used to cook large bowls of very wet rice and generally forms the first dish at a Greek wedding. Hardly anybody ever eats it! The problem with lamb chops in some small places is that they are very thin and overcooked. Jan sends them straight back! Good lamb chops are readily available in Crete.

Jan also likes taromasalata, although she is not a great fish lover. Neither of us like squid or octopus. Cows do exist on the island in very small numbers, at the western (Chania) end, which tends to get more rain in the summer months than we ever do. A friend around the corner had one cow about ten years ago, but with so little summer rain, most of the grass turns to straw in June and it was costing him a fortune to buy feed for it. Most of the people, like my son-in-law's father, who have large numbers of sheep, also own tracts of land up on the fertile Katharo & Lasithi plateaux between 5,000 & 6,000 feet above sea level and the sheep are taken up there in early May and are brought back down about 20 September. That way they don't have to buy feed for them as, being much cooler, there is plent of grass for them.

Nico, afelia is a Cypriot dish - pork marinated in red wine and cooked - and something I haven't seen here. In Crete; it is generally either pork from the oven - roast pork and potatoes cooked very slowly and is very tender, or pork & leeks.

Amathus appears to be in Rhodes, Nico, and I've never been there. However, complimentary mezes at the start of a meal and a complimentary sweet at the end of it are the norm throughout Greece. To put this thread back on track, the only really disgusting food amongst that lot are the boiled goat and the boiled rice in goat's juice. :)

Well as I only ever eat fish or chicken, I couldn't possibly comment on the goodness or otherwise of meat dishes. However, my other half, Jan, is a carnivore and will frequenly have stifado, lamb chops. and sometimes moussaka and seems quite happy with all three. I've never come across goat chops, Smudger, as goat is generally served boiled or as a stew. The juice from the boiled goat is very often used to cook large bowls of very wet rice and generally forms the first dish at a Greek wedding. Hardly anybody ever eats it! The problem with lamb chops in some small places is that they are very thin and overcooked. Jan sends them straight back! Good lamb chops are readily available in Crete.

Jan also likes taromasalata, although she is not a great fish lover. Neither of us like squid or octopus. Cows do exist on the island in very small numbers, at the western (Chania) end, which tends to get more rain in the summer months than we ever do. A friend around the corner had one cow about ten years ago, but with so little summer rain, most of the grass turns to straw in June and it was costing him a fortune to buy feed for it. Most of the people, like my son-in-law's father, who have large numbers of sheep, also own tracts of land up on the fertile Katharo & Lasithi plateaux between 5,000 & 6,000 feet above sea level and the sheep are taken up there in early May and are brought back down about 20 September. That way they don't have to buy feed for them as, being much cooler, there is plent of grass for them.

Nico, afelia is a Cypriot dish - pork marinated in red wine and cooked - and something I haven't seen here. In Crete; it is generally either pork from the oven - roast pork and potatoes cooked very slowly and is very tender, or pork & leeks.

Amathus appears to be in Rhodes, Nico, and I've never been there. However, complimentary mezes at the start of a meal and a complimentary sweet at the end of it are the norm throughout Greece. To put this thread back on track, the only really disgusting food amongst that lot are the boiled goat and the boiled rice in goat's juice. :)

boiled rice in goat's juice.
yuk.

I do like the meza, but Nan couldn't say taramasalata, like Mrs Cropley in the Vicar of Dibley but she liked it.

My Amathus is in Cypres. Where I had all the nice food. I went to Ipsos in Corfu where I saw the cows. I ate a bean stew there and lamb kebabs. Had squid in France it was like rubber. I broke my tooth on a Spanish cake it was like a big almond tart but rock hard. I also broke them on pork scratchings which my partner detests and dripping, English gravy, fish and chips, gammon and mushy peas. I like her food till they try and get too fancy, to please me, and it's vile. We went out for New Year with her mother and the restaurant had a special menu of Bouillebase, wild boar or ostritch. They were most put out when we all three asked for a plain steak. And you only get one veg and not much of it unless it's chips, which are good though. Don't like their black pudding either it's runny! We go to a Campanile to eat over there, the lady is French the man from Doncaster. They had Irish stew on. It wasn't very nice, not a proper one, oily, and she gave me two helpings, again to please me. We went to another gimmicky place, and they professed to serve Welsh food! They had Welsh Rarebit on but I didn't try it. We went to Wales and my partner tried Welsh Cawl, a lamb broth, which was inedible. They gave us our money back.

Last edited by a moderator:

We had goat in Morocco, partner thought we had camel too. We were ill all the time. Her mum got in to a row in a Moroccan restaurant in France when she said they served goat shoulder in place of lamb, in the couscous.
Love couscous. This weekend maybe. mmmm!

We had goat in Morocco, partner thought we had camel too. We were ill all the time. Her mum got in to a row in a Moroccan restaurant in France when she said they served goat shoulder in place of lamb, in the couscous.
Love couscous. This weekend maybe. mmmm!
was it a camel stew?We were ill all the time.. i should thinks so eating all that :poop:

No, I just liked the sound of it, Nan tried to sell it to me. Like prunes. Bowl openers and cows' turd. (Custard). Yeller fillet finny hadock. Smoked haddock.And I could choose how she did the carrotts and parsnips for the stew, grated which tasted stronger, or in chunks. She made a poor meal sound a treat. I still like simple things. But I just like food. Dad's family were very poor, they lost their dad in his 50's. Gran told dad he didn't like this and that, he was vegetarian when he met mum.
Finny haddock poached in milk ?

A lot of what is recorded in this thread can be categorised as "foreign muck". :laughing: Well, that is what it used to be called before we had tv chefs telling us what we were missing. ;)
Regarding the laxative qualities of some foods I suggest a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale. Far more enjoyable.

Well I'm not an adventurous eater - if it doesn't look right, I won't touch it, simple as that! Sometimes people try to tempt me by saying how delicious it is, but most of the things they try to get me to eat are chewy, tasteless, and of doubtful origin. I love salmon, but I won't eat this farmed stuff. It certainly seems that bat soup doesn't do you much good, not that we have that here. Play safe!

Well I'm not an adventurous eater - if it doesn't look right, I won't touch it, simple as that! Sometimes people try to tempt me by saying how delicious it is, but most of the things they try to get me to eat are chewy, tasteless, and of doubtful origin. I love salmon, but I won't eat this farmed stuff. It certainly seems that bat soup doesn't do you much good, not that we have that here. Play safe!

Bat soup !!!!, OMG

I have seen some recipes,but this is the worst.most disgusting.

Sewer Rat Stew Recipe

1. Procure 3 large sewer rats then proceed to chop off head, tail and appendages.
2. Use a sharp skinning knife and remove all of the skin. Remove entrails as well.
3. Add a small quantity of oil and fry finely sliced onions and a small amount of chopped garlic.
4. Add chicken/beef stock to a large pot, along with 1.5L of water.
5. Stir in diced and cubed potatoes, a large tomatoes and herbs/spices. Allspice and Nutmeg brings out the natural sweetness of the meat. Cinnamon and cloves go well, but use sparingly.
6. Chop up the rat meat into 1" chunks and marinade lightly with black pepper.
7. Boil for 15 minutes, then let it simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Add salt to taste before turning off the heat.
8. Serve with cold putu.

Sewer Rat Stew Recipe

1. Procure 3 large sewer rats then proceed to chop off head, tail and appendages.
2. Use a sharp skinning knife and remove all of the skin. Remove entrails as well.
3. Add a small quantity of oil and fry finely sliced onions and a small amount of chopped garlic.
5. Stir in diced and cubed potatoes, a large tomatoes and herbs/spices. Allspice and Nutmeg brings out the natural sweetness of the meat. Cinnamon and cloves go well, but use sparingly.
7. Boil for 15 minutes, then let it simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Add salt to taste before turning off the heat.
8. Serve with cold putu.
Yummy :innocent:

Sewer Rat Stew Recipe

8. Serve with cold putu.
[/QUOTE

What is putu?

Bob

Sewer Rat Stew Recipe

8. Serve with cold putu.
What is putu?
Bob

Bob,

If you can stomach the Sewer Rat Stew, you probably don't even need to know! It's probably of equal quality. :)

Went to a nice little restaurant in Rouen and ordered Mussels once.They were bought out piled high on a plate like as large Soup dish.My girls & wife had other things.After we had finished they asked us if we had enjoyed it and would we like some more.We said yes and we had a second serving.All for the same price which wasn't very expensive.

Apart from cockles, now and again and the occasion (in season) decent crab, I avoid most shellfish. Paella can be risky in some countries and establishments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back