• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love brains on toast but the tiny bones that splinter tend to remain and you have to be very careful. You can still get pigs heads and remove the brain yourself but I have to do this when Pete is not around. He does think they are disgusting and I have to eat them when he is not around as with the pigs trotters.
Mate's Dublin aunty liked pig's legs, not trotters, Nan liked cow heel and mum, cow's udder.

My Brummie cousin from Yardley Wood has moved to Devon. She said Fish and chips for 2 cost them £17. I get a small box of chips and a tinned roe for £1.30. I love roe. My partner serves it cold too in oil and vinegar salt and pepper, I am hungry now.
That is daylight robbery for fish and chips :oops: I love fresh and tinned roe yum..enjoy.

My friend stayed at a Premier Inn and another friend used to be a chef at one, he used the term chef loosely as everything he says is microwaved and he as a trained chef had to go on a microwave course. Anyway. our friends were refused scrambled egg as they hadn't come in yet. On enquiring, it seems the scrambled egg comes in a sealed bag and is dried or frozen. When she finally tasted it, it was vile.
I wonder if that is what they served in the war years.
Nico, they served (we ate) powdered eggs during the war years as well as a few years afterward!

badpenny said:

My Father used to bring home a pigs head.

He would boil for it hours and hours, then press the meat for his sandwiches for work.

i once brought home sheeps head. hit it with a cleaver to cut it up.View attachment 141581never again
MW, when I worked in the butcher shop after school sheep's brains were a delicacy.....Many people would order them for the weekend and Friday for some reason. I remember being taught how to split the sheep's head with a clever so that the brain was split cleanly in half!

MW, when I worked in the butcher shop after school sheep's brains were a delicacy.....Many people would order them for the weekend and Friday for some reason. I remember being taught how to split the sheep's head with a clever so that the brain was split cleanly in half!
1581851732783.pnghave tryd pigs brains on toast.never sheeps,

Yuck, but I quite liked powdered eggs!

Maurice :cool:
So did I, it was often all that was available if you did not keep fowl or they were off laying.
I have found that a fried egg, which has had the yolk broken accidentally, when being cooked does give the yolk an apparent taste of the tinned powdered egg. I believe the powdered egg was great when used for cooking food that required eggs in the mixture, such as certain cakes.

Sounds more North of England than Brum to me, Pete, but cheers anyway.

Maurice :cool:
My wife grew up on a farm in a little town, which sits on the Cheshire/Staffordshire border, called Alsager. She talks about her uncle who used to eat Pobs. I must say, I'd never heard of them.

So did I, it was often all that was available if you did not keep fowl or they were off laying.
I have found that a fried egg, which has had the yolk broken accidentally, when being cooked does give the yolk an apparent taste of the tinned powdered egg. I believe the powdered egg was great when used for cooking food that required eggs in the mixture, such as certain cakes.
We used to have old recipe books with powered egg as an ingredient. They got lost wit house moves, one each from the Gas and electric boards, I liked the drawings of the old cookers in them.
Re the sops, I was told by Nan that her dad had a bowl of tea, poured from a jug on a hob on the hearth, and he put bits of toast in it and shared them with Nan as a little girl. He called them fishes. She did the same to me, with bread floating on soup.

wasn't they in star trek maurice
Croutons on the starboard bow!
I was shown how to eat little pieces of round toast the size of a 2p, with a pinky brown sauce you put on yourself and finely grated cheese and then float them in a lobster bisque. Mine kept capsizing. I bought a tin here but I didn't like it.

Somebody mentioned Jellied eels. Nan like them she said they use to have eel stands at the sea side. If you ever read Nights At The Circus by Angela Carter they get a few mentions.

Croutons on the starboard bow!
I was shown how to eat little pieces of round toast the size of a 2p, with a pinky brown sauce you put on yourself and finely grated cheese and then float them in a lobster bisque. Mine kept capsizing. I bought a tin here but I didn't like it.

Somebody mentioned Jellied eels. Nan like them she said they use to have eel stands at the sea side. If you ever read Nights At The Circus by Angela Carter they get a few mentions.
I remember them in little dishes in the bham indoor market. yuk. my dad loved them though.

Palm hearts coeur de palmier, my partner loves them. Bland but nice with pink sauce. I just think of pandas.

Was told in Canada they have tête de fromage, head cheese? If I go I will let you know but it sounds vile,
Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a dairy cheese, but a terrine or meat jelly often made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig, or less commonly a sheep or cow, and often set in aspic .........yuk no ta.it sounds bad enough with out chomping it.

We used to have old recipe books with powered egg as an ingredient. They got lost wit house moves, one each from the Gas and electric boards, I liked the drawings of the old cookers in them.
Re the sops, I was told by Nan that her dad had a bowl of tea, poured from a jug on a hob on the hearth, and he put bits of toast in it and shared them with Nan as a little girl. He called them fishes. She did the same to me, with bread floating on soup.
Nico, my gran did that with me...…….It was a game to get me to eat the soup!

Housework was a game too. Helping Nan fold the sheets running to her like an in and out dance while she sang! I was allowed to make shapes and pies out of mash potato and cabbage chopped up and moulded, as long as I ate it.

Housework was a game too. Helping Nan fold the sheets running to her like an in and out dance while she sang! I was allowed to make shapes and pies out of mash potato and cabbage chopped up and moulded, as long as I ate it.
1582048837783.png:yum i love that stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back