• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
lynn i still use the expression" on a line" but where did that come from

lyn

I take this to mean being annoyed. It is an interesting one because if you Google and look at the Urban
Dictionaries, it difficult to find one giving that kind of meaning.

Perhaps it is a true local saying?

When I was in the Lift Car making business and you couldn't get things to fit.Our managers favourite saying was IMPROVISE

I take this to mean being annoyed. It is an interesting one because if you Google and look at the Urban

It must be. I've lived near Burton on trent for nearly 30 years and I've never known anyone around here who knows what it means!
Pronunciations are similar. I've always said tuthbrush not tooothbrush (toothbrush), and forrhead not fourhead (forehead). Think thats a Brummie thing!

mom used to say it if she was getting mad with us. "I am getting on a line now" she was a true brummie

Gossiping about a very skinny man.. "I`ve seen more meat on Lester Piggots whip"
About a very skinny woman " If she swallowed an apple she`d look pregnant"
She`s got a face like the back of a bus.
She can turn it around with a smile.
:)

Last edited:
Gossiping about a very skinny man.. "I`ve seen more meat on Lester Piggots whip"
A couple of additions, if I may.......
"I've seen more meat on a chicken's lip".
"I've seen more meat on a bone handled knife".
One I always thought cruel, calling a skinny girl "Sparralegs".

Boys are especially cruel. We called flat busted girls `planks`. I remember one girl who we planked, & a mate said he saw her when she was about 30 & she was absolutely stunning. I guess she had the last laugh on us `yobs`. Having said that boys were cruel, i dare say the girls had their own `put-downs` for boys.

"Cat: The small animal, of course, but in slang it means something that looks, sounds or simply is absolutely awful. It’s short for cat malojan, which is probably short for the phrase, cat on a melodeon. You can imagine that a cat standing on a melodeon is likely to make an awful sound. That is probably where the idea came from. Now it’s used to describe anything people don’t like and think is terrible." [Guide to Irish Slang]
My late friend would say if he got angry at someone, I reared or rared up cat.

A couple of additions, if I may.......
"I've seen more meat on a chicken's lip".
"I've seen more meat on a bone handled knife".
One I always thought cruel, calling a skinny girl "Sparralegs".
My grandad had thin legs, he said he had bee's knees and sparra's ankles, Nan said here here comes, we plough the fields and scatter, she meant splay footed.

I've seen more meat on a butcher's hook.
For someone in a small hat, grandad said like a tom tit on a hayrick.
My colleague used to say of our boss, she has a face like a bag of spanners.
I Drink Zuyder, it makes yer bally wider.

I've seen more meat on a butcher's hook.
For someone in a small hat, grandad said like a tom tit on a hayrick.
My colleague used to say of our boss, she has a face like a bag of spanners.
I Drink Zuyder, it makes yer bally wider.
Mum said of a colleague keen to please their boss, "she was all over him like a cheap shirt."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back