• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City Centre pubs

yes lozellian i also used the fili a few times...we dont seem to get the atmosphere now as we did then...shame really..or maybe its just me getting old :rolleyes:

lyn

Hi Astoness,

You're right in what you say, the pubs of today definitely lack that atmosphere we used to enjoy. I don't think it's a case of getting old it's just plain fact. Only the other night me & the Wife were saying how much we used to enjoy the live music scene Brum used to have, but nowadays you're expected to pay megabucks to go and see either nobody's or has beens.

Lozellian.

Hi Astoness,

You're right in what you say, the pubs of today definitely lack that atmosphere we used to enjoy. I don't think it's a case of getting old it's just plain fact. Only the other night me & the Wife were saying how much we used to enjoy the live music scene Brum used to have, but nowadays you're expected to pay megabucks to go and see either nobody's or has beens.

Lozellian.

yes i agree lozellian..i guess its just the way things are these days but i have to say i would not swap the times i grew up in...

lyn

yes lozellian i also used the fili a few times...we dont seem to get the atmosphere now as we did then...shame really..or maybe its just me getting old :rolleyes:

lyn

Lyn I echo your thoughts and sentiment 100% , pubs if you can call them that are simply catering for the eating side of the business they're not interested in drinkers . It seems sad to me that pubs have gone that way as it was the drinkers that put them there in the first place , pubs would be a different thing nowadays if they reverted back to crisps , scratchings , possibly the odd pork pie as it used to be . Plus the fact the atmosphere would be back to normal ....

From 1973 to 1976 I used to start at the Tavern in the Town (until the dreadful atrocity) and then go to Bogarts upstairs on Friday and Saturday nights (not the Bier Keller downstairs). We also used Mr Bills Bier Keller in Needless Alley. Sometimes managed to catch the last bus home (remember those days?) or often ended up walking home to Northfield. Happy times!

I was back in Birmingham last week and went to the Craven Arms at 47 Upper Gough St (Near The Mailbox). Here I found my ideal pub. Completely unspoilt and unaltered inside with a stunning tiled exterior. It also had an open fire! Really well kept ale plus free papers and magazines. A friendly and mixed clientele. It was almost enough to make me want to move back to Brum just to make this place my local.

From 1973 to 1976 I used to start at the Tavern in the Town (until the dreadful atrocity) and then go to Bogarts upstairs on Friday and Saturday nights (not the Bier Keller downstairs). We also used Mr Bills Bier Keller in Needless Alley. Sometimes managed to catch the last bus home (remember those days?) or often ended up walking home to Northfield. Happy times!
I also used the Tavern from my first pub going days in 1969 until the awful events of November 1974. Favourite other city centre pubs of this time for me were The Parisien, The Crown on Broad St, The Shakespeare, The Iron Horse, The Outrigger, the Gilded Cage (once saw Trevor Francis in there), The Longboat and sadly The Mulberry Bush, plus before hitting Town proper, the Greyhound Cider house near Holloway Head, just up from Davenports Brewery. Before it was redeveloped this place was so small that we invariably stood outside with our pints of Scrumpy.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this photograph before of The Ship Ashore. It became The Outrigger, anyone know when and the reason for the name change? Those stairs kept going up and up...

5790e1c7f0a01d17417b273b3a184592.jpg
It was the Outrigger before it became the Ship Ashore. Opened around 1968/69 I believe. I went there a lot in 69/70. We always went into the lower bar that was called the Bilge. There were three bars in all over three floors. In the entrance atrium there was a mast complete with sails. One of my mates scaled it on Christmas Eve 1970.

Hi all, just discovered this site and what a memory provoking site it is! Anyway my memory might be playing tricks on me but on Stephenson Street I recall the Newt & Cucumber, but recall vaguely 2 other pubs a few door down, was one of these called The Chamberlain? What was the other called, and correct me if I’m wrong on The Chamberlain! Any help appreciated! Cheers GOC

does not ring any bells to me but with the landlords name above the door it should not prove too difficult to pin it down with a kelly look up

lyn

Last edited:
Post 39 shows another photo of this pub,in Key Hill. There is a little muddying of the water as there is a pub mentioned in Lodge Road, but that, apparently, is the Abbey Vaults. Worcestershire gets in on the act as well. ;)

In answer to GOC... Yes, these sites bring back wonderful memories. My husband and I use to go into town before we were married. (1969). Had wonderful times. Unfortunately, one of our regular pubs was The Mulberry Bush. Heartbroken in 1974
when along with The Tavern it was bombed.

Back