• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John ELWELL, Born c1827, Kingswinford, Stafford, Hairdresser

So it looks as if she might have been his sister. John Elwell being an alias. I haven't found a marriage yet for Louisa Bright to a Mr Roberts.

Original post implies that the name of the person is John Elwell. The wording if the newspaper clipping seems to confirm this.

Haven't seen anything to prove that he is the John Elwell born Kingswinford though and not one of the other ones born around the same time.

Yes, just saying my impression from the clipping was that his real name was John Elwell and his alias Henry Bright. Not the other way round. Could be wrong.

You would think that when Louisa Tackaberry/Roberts gave her submissions in 1848 that the real name would have been known.

So will TC3 give another clue?

Interesting that he tried being a barber.
Wonder where he was on earlier censuses? Also why he was 5 before he was baptised.

Can’t find Will Henry Bright in the 1851 census, but would you Adam and Eve it. His shop in Ryland Rd was relieved of a few items in February 1862 by a chap of the name James Figures (well that is the name given) who resided in Bishopgate Street!

You couldn’t make it up.

B3553CBB-3595-45AC-9CAC-6AAC7FBE8B29.jpeg

Thank you all for your inputs. I am extremely grateful.

Nevertheless, after 1848 John ELWELL still remains totally elusive and I believe it sensible, as a temporary measure, to add him to the pending tray!!

For the moment,

TC3

Interesting that he tried being a barber.
Wonder where he was on earlier censuses? Also why he was 5 before he was baptised.

Are you thinking he may have been the illegitimate son of Louisa Bright, passed off as her brother?

Samuel and Sarah Bright appear to have been quite old when William Henry was born. 26 years after they were married when Sarah would have been in her mid 40s at least.

Thank you all for your inputs. I am extremely grateful.

Nevertheless, after 1848 John ELWELL still remains totally elusive and I believe it sensible, as a temporary measure, to add him to the pending tray!!

For the moment,

TC3

Is your interest due to the Elwells of Kingswinford or Louisa Roberts, nee Bright?

Are you thinking he may have been the illegitimate son of Louisa Bright, passed off as her brother?
Samuel and Sarah Bright appear to have been quite old when William Henry was born. 26 years after they were married when Sarah would have been in her mid 40s at least.
It did go through my mind that he wasn't their son when I saw Sarah's age. Definitely think something is afoot with the similarity of the names and birth date.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It would explain her interest in him rather than him being a distant relative or a stranger.

Being a brother would as well though.

What was the connection between Louisa Roberts (Bright/Tackaberry) and John Elwell? Why did she act as a guarantor for a convict to obtain what appears to be a conditional pardon?

On Louisa’s mother’s marriage certificate (Sarah Bright) from 1800, the witnesses were Thomas and Mary Elwell. Her mother was about 19 at the time. Sarah Bright and her husband Samuel were both born in Birmingham,

What was the connection between Louisa Roberts (Bright/Tackaberry) and John Elwell? Why did she act as a guarantor for a convict to obtain what appears to be a conditional pardon?

On Louisa’s mother’s marriage certificate (Sarah Bright) from 1800, the witnesses were Thomas and Mary Elwell. Her mother was about 19 at the time. Sarah Bright and her husband Samuel were both born in Birmingham,

That's the $64000 question. Possible illegitimate son (passed off as brother) or actual brother - using aliases when arrested was the latest speculation.

Samuel and Sarah's first 2 daughters were named Maria and Susannah. Susannah seems to be the name of Samuel's mother and there is a baptism for a Sarah Elwell 3 Oct 1781 Wolverhampton with parent's Nathaniel & Maria. The subsequent children of Nathaniel & Maria are baptised in Bham.

As the first post says that the parents of the said John Elwell were Joseph and Sarah, this looks like the entry in 1841 Census. 5 children but no John Elwell, perhaps he was in the nick.

23F56BDC-45A2-4A08-B61A-18078452039C.jpeg

Back