• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Church Birmingham

I love this one Astoness, so much atmosphere! Thank you for sharing!
I also have many family members who were Christened, married or buried in St Martins from the 1820s on.
The Family I am searching were Withers, Taylor's in Smallbrook street, back in 1730- 1780s, maybe including 1834 when Benjamin Withers died. May have had a brother Robert also a Taylor.
Cheers
David

In 1734 Benjamin Withers with his wife Mary, took Samuel Withers to St Martin's for his baptism. Leaving his taylors shop in Smallbrook street, would they have "up" to St Martin's or "down " to church? I.e. was there a slope, and if so was it up to church, or down to church?
Cheers
David

Rosary_boy, they were removed to Witton Cemetery. I'm never sure what happenens to the actual gravestones from these removals though. some churches use them in the paths but there aren't any at St. Martin's.
rosie.

Back