• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

Welcome Malcog.

I read somewhere else on the forum that building work took place between the science labs at the girls school and the boys school, effectively joining the two schools together. Is that correct ? It must have been after 1974/5. I only remember a grassed area between the two schools. We (Marsh Hill Girls) used to use it for sports lessons, especially discus, shot put throwing etc.

Viv.

Welcome Malcog.

I read somewhere else on the forum that building work took place between the science labs at the girls school and the boys schools effectively joining the two schools together. Is that correct ? It must have been after 1974/5. I only remember a grassed area between the two schools. We (Marsh Hill Girls) used to use it for sports lessons, especially discus, shot put throwing etc.

Viv.
As I remember there was grass between the Boys & Girls schools. I looked at the area on google earth and the Boys school has gone and a new school built

Yes Vivienne and me were you one of the naughty girls that threw your discus or javelin towards the boys school on purpose because the boys use to be drooling out the window looking at us (I did) when we went to retrieve them we use to bend over on purpose and the boys use to go mad .it was all innocent them days though.

Definitely Sugar ! And the only reason to take up the javelin or discus. If you plumped for long jump, the sandpit was around the other side of the school with no audience ! Viv.

Definitely Sugar ! And the only reason to take up the javelin or discus. If you plumped for long jump, the sandpit was around the other side of the school with no audience ! Viv.
O I am glad I was not the only one ha ha also when we were made to run round the school we use to walk all the way round until we were just about to pass the staff room then we started running . School days what memories.

Chemistry lab lessons were always exciting to us. Not the slightest bit interested in the chemistry lesson, but interested in the VI Form boys coming to the girls’ school for mixed classes. The Chemisrty lab at the end of the science block gave a great vantage point to watch them. Viv.

I was there from 1967 to 1974. Lots of detentions ! How are you Steve ? I remeber Yampy Yates and the time we connected bunsen burners to the taps in the physics lab.
We call them faucets over here in the US of A. I remember it well. I also remember pulling the hose off a Bunsen, turning the gas on and blowing back down the pipe so Crippin's bunsen kept going out and his reaction never happened. I also remembe someone adding salt to his electrolysis water and generating hydrogen and chlorine (in place of the expected oxygen) which was reactive enough to explode his gas jar

Jeeze, When I look back on what we used to do back then and just get an official detention. (Nitrogen Tri-iodide taped to the toilet seat bumpers and First years with Purple Iodine stained Bum's. Nowadays over here I would be getting 20 years hard time for that and free entry to the nofly list. What happened to kids being kids and adults having a sneaky laugh after giving us a bollocking.

Hope so Phil.

The whole site has completely changed as you probably know, the Bilateral has gone, the MH Girls building has changed (or rebuilt ? Not sure).

As you’ll remember this was one big site housing three schools.

I know there are documents in the National Archives. It’s possible these contain details of the development/opening of the school. So you never know, there might be images in the documents. Viv.

I remember Fred Markwell was really pleased he managed to get the punishment (Canings) book added to the School's Archive

This photo shows a part of a full-page spread on the school in, what I think was, The Erdington News of June 9th 1961. For some reason my mother kept it all these years.

The full headline says "Marsh Hill Offers a Wide Education". I was somewhere in the group shown attempting ballroom dancing. The spelling of the name of the chemistry teacher is wrong. It should be Riggall, not Wriggle. I could scan and post the other parts if there's interest?

Riggall ? wasn't that spelled Crippen.

We call them faucets over here in the US of A. I remember it well. I also remember pulling the hose off a Bunsen, turning the gas on and blowing back down the pipe so Crippin's bunsen kept going out and his reaction never happened. I also remembe someone adding salt to his electrolysis water and generating hydrogen and chlorine (in place of the expected oxygen) which was reactive enough to explode his gas jar

Jeeze, When I look back on what we used to do back then and just get an official detention. (Nitrogen Tri-iodide taped to the toilet seat bumpers and First years with Purple Iodine stained Bum's. Nowadays over here I would be getting 20 years hard time for that and free entry to the nofly list. What happened to kids being kids and adults having a sneaky laugh after giving us a bollocking.
I would'nt cross Crippen ! To give him his due he taught us A level students well in the sixth form, I have to appreciate that these teachers gave me a sound education that eventually ended in a science Honours degree.

I attended from 1968-1974 too. I don't remember you Paul, not without a photo. I didn't have many friends, wasn't a very likeable character. I have very fond memories of being at the school, especially sports including playing football (Richard Smith was our keeper), and athletics. I was an all-rounder and competed for Warwickshire at High Jump & Triple jump. I was fast but the Hassel twins were fast too, so I ran position 1 in the 4 x 100m relay. The only teachers name I remember is a Mr Miller who we nicknamed 'Windy Miller'. The boy's and Girl's schools joined together when I went into the 6th form, at the same time as my parents split-up, so my education petered off. My best friend was Robert Smith. I remember a school play, where a boy called Oneil, kept walking onto the stage with a glass of water, and at the end of the play when asked what he was doing he told us that the school was on fire. I have so many good memories I can't mention them all. I visited the area recently to take a look at the school but couldn't get to see it, the area seems to have been re-developed. And I can't seem to find many posts from ex pupils either.
Hi Dave. This is Chris Barre. I was there the same time as you. Pretty sure you were in my class. I remember Brian Drury was the math teacher. A really great guy. I think Paul Higgins, also in this forum,was with us. I also remember calling of the register in the morning.
Alder
Barre
Biggs .....
Do you remember that *****(Edit) history teacher that used to lift us out of our chair by the ears or by the sideburns. It ***** (Edit) hurt! We used to get the slipper for not doing homework. He ****** (Edit) who used to relish describing excessive violence in history.
I used to get bullied by this Irish guy ******* (Edit) . Man, he was a real ***** (Edit)
I seem to remember you. Bigger lad with short wiry hair. In the scheme of things you weren’t that bad. The one really great memory for me was the quality of the meals in the dinner hall. A kitchen that was equipped to feed an army. I don’t expect you to remember me. It was a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I attended 1968-1974 and the G & S, Shakespeare etc extravaganzas were still (if I remember correctly) going strong and in my opinion could give professional productions a run for their money.

The teachers there were more than teachers. They were educators. Some still wore their gowns, though had stopped wearing their caps. Strict, fair and didn’t need text books to teach their subject.
Hey Paul. This is Chris Barre. I was in the same class as you. Remember our teacher Brian Drury (math)? I remember quite a few of the guys from the class. Andy Rake. Paul Turner. Andy Pratt was the kid with a hair lip that spoke badly but no one said it to his face because he was a hard case.
I remember amazing school meals. Being bullied *********** (Edit) My first day there as a first year I was taken to the washrooms to see the “blue goldfish”. It turned out that the goldfish was a blue Bic biro top in the toilet and when you bent over to look they stuck your head down the big and flushed it. Welcome to Marsh hill.
I seem to remember that one day you bought a small model airplane gas engine to school. I asked you if I could take it home to show my mom and dad. I monkied with it and ********. (edit) it up. You were pissed. For that I want to apologize. Funny the things that stick. Anyway, you probably won’t remember me. I remember you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Phil, I am Dave Brewer and we did A level biology at the girls school , in fact I did all my A level lessons at the girls school . Went on to marry one of the girls , Carole Nellis we were in the same English class . I retired 2018 and have a home in Lanchashire and in Dubai where I currently staying since February .

Hi Dave, I remember you well, especially in Biology as I don't think you liked the teacher much at the girl's school. If memory serves, the last time I met you you were the manager of a shop on Alum Rock and I went in to buy something. I was a student at St Peter's College nearby. I was a teacher and retired a few years ago, and I'm trying to write a family history to leave to the grandchildren, which is why I was trying to find a photograph of Marsh Hill. I mean, how difficult could it be? Very, I've found. I went to Dubai a few years back and found it a really exciting city to visit, but a bit too hot for me most of the year. How's the lockdown in Dubai? I've heard a few expats are having problems there.

Hi Dave, I remember you well, especially in Biology as I don't think you liked the teacher much at the girl's school. If memory serves, the last time I met you you were the manager of a shop on Alum Rock and I went in to buy something. I was a student at St Peter's College nearby. I was a teacher and retired a few years ago, and I'm trying to write a family history to leave to the grandchildren, which is why I was trying to find a photograph of Marsh Hill. I mean, how difficult could it be? Very, I've found. I went to Dubai a few years back and found it a really exciting city to visit, but a bit too hot for me most of the year. How's the lockdown in Dubai? I've heard a few expats are having problems there.
Hi Phil ,
Long time no see . I enjoyed my school years , but not school . I got caned in the 4th year . Markwell told me to hold out my left hand , which I did . He then told me it was not my left hand . So I held out my right hand and got three strokes . I then asked him for a note to excuse me from writing for the rest of the day as I was right handed . The look on his face made three strokes worthwhile . I did get my note and used it for the next three days .
I am new to this site . How can I share my email address with you ?

Welcome to the forum. Click on the name of the person you wish to contact and then click “start conversation".

Back