• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ward End Park

They're not filling it in. I think there was some problem around the edge, subsidence possibly. Last time I looked they appeared to be making repairs at the Washwood Heath End. Mainly they had been working at the far end.

It does look a bit of a sight at the moment.

They're not filling it in. I think there was some problem around the edge, subsidence possibly. Last time I looked they appeared to be making repairs at the Washwood Heath End. Mainly they had been working at the far end.

It does look a bit of a sight at the moment.

That's good news MWS, my heart sank when I thought they were filling it in.

Macca

They appear to have finished whatever they were doing to the pond. There is water in it and the fencing has gone.

we used to sit on the railway embankment on the far side of the park watching the steam trains go by. it was very hot summers back then, bottles of cold tea and jam sarnies.was on the menu.

When my eldest son was born in 1963 I spent many happy hours pushing his pram round the park and sitting watching the old chaps play bowls.
I recall a very tall slim park keeper called Jack he had a large push bike, the kids were terrified of him.
This was Jack Newett, an ex-boxerwho I remember having tea with in his hut from time to time when I was a Parks Patrol officer in the early seventies. Jack had been a dog handler for the Parks Dept. keeping the dog in a kennel at Ward End Park but one day the Parks Dept called him to the office on a pretext so that they could take the dog away from him. He was very upset over that.

I had great days in Ward End Park it was my play ground late 60`s to late 70`s. I remember the smelly brook. Also one cold winter it seemed the whole of ward end school was on the frozen pond during dinner time. I played cricket. football, tree climbing and collected tons of conkers by throwing large branches into the tree tops hoping my stick would return to the ground with an abundance of conkers. Happy days

Does anyone remember the pond in St Margarets church yard across from Ward End Park.We used to catch newts in the pond.We had a small pond at home and used to put them in with the goldfish from the rag & bone man.

Does anyone remember the pond in St Margarets church yard across from Ward End Park.We used to catch newts in the pond.We had a small pond at home and used to put them in with the goldfish from the rag & bone man.

My mom remembered that pond too and would catch newts in it. She lived in the double fronted house that used to stand where the church hall is now, name was Pardoe

When the site was developed for housing, the road is called Overpool Road

loverly pics VIV. The times i had to fish overturned boats and people out of there.when i worked for the parks dept.
and was a stand in keeper....like that one in the pic standing up in boat.
Does anyone remember a police station inside Ward End Park in about the 1960s.?

"No Mum, I won't go near the railway!" ............but the press let the cat out of the bag...myself and my 3yo sister (in the white hooded coat) with me to her right, in Ward End Park 1959. Published by the Evening Mail and reprinted by Metro News in 1999. The loco is still extant in the NRM in York.ulsterexpress1a.jpg

"No Mum, I won't go near the railway!" ............but the press let the cat out of the bag...myself and my 3yo sister (in the white hooded coat) with me to her right, in Ward End Park 1959. Published by the Evening Mail and reprinted by Metro News in 1999. The loco is still extant in the NRM in York.View attachment 151142
we would sit by the bridge listening for traffic,some time feeling the rail for the vibrations along the line. we could be in that pic too

Back